Did poorly on first quiz as OMS1, feeling demoralized

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lilyofthevalley12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am in my third week of medical school. We just had our first quiz where the class average was 81. I received a 73 and I feel like a complete dunce that I am in the bottom half percentile. Granted, I am a nontrad and have been out of school for some time. But I feel like I studied to my full capacity and only received a below par grade. Is my quiz grade indicative of what's to come? Barely passing and staying in the bottom half? I feel so demoralized and depressed. Sometimes I feel like I don't belong in medical school and that I am just an imposter. Unfortunately, I tie my academic performance to my general well being and I feel that this recent quiz has really derailed me. Anyone with advice or similar experience? I am willing to do whatever it takes to do well, but at the same rate, I'd rather accept the truth that my abilities are limited than keep deluding myself.

Members don't see this ad.

Its a quiz. Don't worry about it. Work hard to do well on the exam. You'll be very lucky if barely passing a quiz is the worst thing you experience as a med student.

In terms of studying, see about studying in a group if that helps you. Also, if your school offers free tutoring, take advantage of it. Review the quiz of you're allowed to and figure out what may have gone wrong. How did you spend your time studying? Did you completely miss what you were expected to focus on? Did you feel lost during the quiz, or did you think you did much better? Ask around and see how people are studying and what materials they are using. Don't be surprised if people say they are barely studying, they are usually either exaggerating, barely passing, or just lying.

Medical school is difficult, especially in the beginning. Your goal at this point is to pass and figure out what study methods work for you. This may take time and require some trial and error.

My best advice to you is that if you truly find yourself unable to handle the material or find yourself struggling to pass exams that you seek help right away. Talk to your professors, your advisor, etc. Its better to fix these things before you fail, and even if you do fail a course, it's much easier to make a case against dismissal if you demonstrate that you failed, but were trying very hard to fix it early on.

Reactions: 3 users
First test I was below avg in the 70's. Now I'm top 10%. Also nontrad. Don't sweat it - just work on study strategies and be consistent. If you are trying to be near the top of the class consistency is key.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah my first quiz and exam was in low 70%, now I'm getting upper 80s and lower 90s. The first few things you do, you are still just getting used to medical school. Don't sweat it. Just work hard, and don't let lower grades get you down.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,

I am in my third week of medical school. We just had our first quiz where the class average was 81. I received a 73 and I feel like a complete dunce that I am in the bottom half percentile. Granted, I am a nontrad and have been out of school for some time. But I feel like I studied to my full capacity and only received a below par grade. Is my quiz grade indicative of what's to come? Barely passing and staying in the bottom half? I feel so demoralized and depressed. Sometimes I feel like I don't belong in medical school and that I am just an imposter. Unfortunately, I tie my academic performance to my general well being and I feel that this recent quiz has really derailed me. Anyone with advice or similar experience? I am willing to do whatever it takes to do well, but at the same rate, I'd rather accept the truth that my abilities are limited than keep deluding myself.

Your patients will ask you what you got on your first medical school test. (sarcasm implied)

Come on. Nearly everyone gets crushed at some point, put it behind you .....you're fine. And besides, it's just a quiz you can bring the course grade up I'm sure

Won't be your last time. Get used to it.
As long as you passed, you shouldn't beat yourself to death.

Reactions: 6 users
I had my first exam about a week ago and scored around the avg. I was still pretty shocked considering the amount of time I had studied for it and the confidence I felt walking out. I still don't even think studying more would have changed anything, and I'm realizing that forming a study strategy is a huge part of being successful but will take time to develop. This is a whole different playing field than we are used to, and as long as you aren't at risk of failing, you have plenty to be proud of just for being able to finish the blocks. Everyone's going to have ups and downs, especially in the beginning when we are all adjusting.

Last edited:
Welcome to med school

Reactions: 4 users
Look around at your class. Half of them are going to be the bottom half. The standards are extremely high -- it sounds like you're doing fine... so just learn from your mistakes, tweak a bit, and you'll be okay.

Learn to relax. Don't worry about your classmates so much. I know that's almost impossible in medical school but remember you are competing against 30,000 people not just the 150 or 200 at your school. Work hard and do the best you can. Use the low grade as motivation but don't necessarily expect to be in the bottom half all the time. You have time to figure it out. Get ready to study your @r$e off though.

Its a quiz. Don't worry about it. Work hard to do well on the exam. You'll be very lucky if barely passing a quiz is the worst thing you experience as a med student.

In terms of studying, see about studying in a group if that helps you. Also, if your school offers free tutoring, take advantage of it. Review the quiz of you're allowed to and figure out what may have gone wrong. How did you spend your time studying? Did you completely miss what you were expected to focus on? Did you feel lost during the quiz, or did you think you did much better? Ask around and see how people are studying and what materials they are using. Don't be surprised if people say they are barely studying, they are usually either exaggerating, barely passing, or just lying.

Medical school is difficult, especially in the beginning. Your goal at this point is to pass and figure out what study methods work for you. This may take time and require some trial and error.

My best advice to you is that if you truly find yourself unable to handle the material or find yourself struggling to pass exams that you seek help right away. Talk to your professors, your advisor, etc. Its better to fix these things before you fail, and even if you do fail a course, it's much easier to make a case against dismissal if you demonstrate that you failed, but were trying very hard to fix it early on.

This whole post is good. But the first part is especially true!

Seriously dude? relax. It is literally the first QUIZ. I think you will be alright. I understand you are new to this and will need time to adjust to the pace and develop a study habbit, but as time goes on, you are going to find out that you need to relax and learn to let things go. Medical school is hard. Trust me, you will have worse grades and harder exams than the very first quiz in medical school. Just learn to relax, learn the material to the best of your ability, and let the chips fall where they may. If you freak out and dwell after every "below average" grade, you will lose focus and easily fall behind

Reactions: 1 users
Hi,

Chill out dude. I got a 70 on my first quiz. It's not the end of the world. It's taken me some time to get into the groove of med school, so just plugging away. You'll do better the next time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude, I FAILED my first quiz of med school. I think it was a 67 or something.

I then proceeded to freak the hell out...then slowly improve from C to B to A's for the rest of pre-clinical. Keep that chin up. :)

Dude, I FAILED my first quiz of med school. I think it was a 67 or something.

I then proceeded to freak the hell out...then slowly improve from C to B to A's for the rest of pre-clinical. Keep that chin up. :)

I have been reading through the boards forum and I see that you were successful in destroying the exam. I'm wondering, how were you able to maintain above average grades in the pre-clinical years while sufficiently preparing for the boards?

I have been reading through the boards forum and I see that you were successful in destroying the exam. I'm wondering, how were you able to maintain above average grades in the pre-clinical years while sufficiently preparing for the boards?
Be handsome.

Heck, there are plenty of docs out there who failed an exam in med school and passed a class or two by the skin of their teeth.

Hahaha, thank you. I'll message you.

Be handsome.

I make the face in my profile pic when I study. I think it works.

Reactions: 2 users
Take this as a learning experience. You have plenty of time to find the right learning style that will work for medical school. What work for you as aUG or PB probably won't work now.

You're going through something many of my students do. My Microbiologist friend would say "you're in lag phase, and soon you'll go into log."

Hi,

Heck, there are plenty of docs out there who failed an exam in med school and passed a class or two by the skin of their teeth.
Sure are, it's part of the process i suppose. I didn't do so great on a biochem exam, the prof handed it to me and said, "no one would think less of you if you quit, went home and had babies". Really??? I told him we weren't having this conversation. He didn't know I already had kids. I made it through. We all do.

OP I am pretty sure you are from my school, so if you need someone to talk to or someone to study with, PM me and we can try to work something out.

I did just read a study actually about a high correlation between doing poorly on your first M1 quiz and being a bad doctor.

Hi,

MD MS2 here. 82 on first exam as an MS1. Class average was 89. 82 was good enough to earn me 3rd quartile (i.e. lower than 50% percentile). Finished the year top 10, not top 10%, top 10.

1. You have to adjust to the new environment, new school, not to mention the courseload.
2. Most everyone in med school starts to lose motivation as the year progresses. Don't be one of them.
3. Stop worrying about other people and their grades. Study to get 100% right on every exam (or whatever your goal is) instead of studying to do better than your classmates.

It's not a sprint… but an ultra marathon. Find what works. Be willing to adjust. Find a good team to work with. Don't give up!

For any 1st years at KCUMB, how are you guys studying? I have been doing the required readings and using the objective lists but there's so much detail that it doesn't seem plausible to know it all. Are powerpoints enough?

For me the power points are NOT enough. I am reading the material multiple times and doing the practice/review questions at the end of the chapters. I have note cards on study blue on my iPad....yay. Good times.

For me the power points are NOT enough. I am reading the material multiple times and doing the practice/review questions at the end of the chapters. I have note cards on study blue on my iPad....yay. Good times.

How the heck do you have time to do all the reading!?

---
1.) Go through the lecture ppts
2.) Use book for concepts that I didn't get
3.) Correlation boxes at the end

Rinse and repeat until I have gone through the material 3-4 times.

For this upcoming final I might use FA to get a broad picture of everything that has been covered so far.

You don't use objectives?

And if you don't mind me asking, how did you do on the first exam after the curve? You can PM me that info.

Well yeah, I'll go through the objectives after reviewing the lectures and see if so can answer them. I also use outside resources to do Biochem questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How the heck do you have time to do all the reading!?

---
1.) Go through the lecture ppts
2.) Use book for concepts that I didn't get
3.) Correlation boxes at the end

Rinse and repeat until I have gone through the material 3-4 times.

For this upcoming final I might use FA to get a broad picture of everything that has been covered so far.

I read fast.....and I'm making notes and note cards at the same time. Once I've read it through I don't read it all over again. I go over my notes and note cards multiple times. And the review questions from the book and online (winkingskull.com).

Last edited:
Hi,

My biggest piece of advice would be to drop that mentality. How you perform on a test in med school shouldn't impact your overall perception of, and happiness with, yourself. Something like 20 people failed right? And last years class was around 40? A little below average isn't the end of the world.

I'm just here to offer moral support as others have: I failed my first histology quiz in med school and I was so demoralized I ran back to my ex-girlfriend on my hands and knees for emotional support after I broke up with her before medical school (She didn't take me back -- smart girl). Now this might sound normal to you Americans, but I come from a very machismo culture and this was essentially the lowest point in my seemingly unending cycles of emotional debacle in med school. Now as a 4th year I look back and just laugh, realizing my ordinariness in the face of it all. You'll have worse quizzes/tests than this in the future (Sorry). You'll realize that you can handle set-backs and get back in the saddle. You'll discover your Warrior spirit, and you'll learn that you're pretty much invincible. You can't discover that you're a Warrior until you watch yourself survive what appears at the time to be the end of you. Let the disasters come, this is just round 1: Ready, set, Fight!! You fell down? Cry me a ****ing river. Fight on!!!! None of us will get through this without some emotional scars, but if you really think about it, that's what you were born to do. All the stars in the universe have aligned themselves so that you can be here at this moment in time in the position you're in. Someone else wanted your spot but you beat them to it. You're a Warrior. You always were. Now embrace that ****, embrace it fully. Expect hell, and carry on!!

Reactions: 4 users
Look around at your class. Half of them are going to be the bottom half. The standards are extremely high -- it sounds like you're doing fine... so just learn from your mistakes, tweak a bit, and you'll be okay.
Hey you stole that quote from Dean Strampel !

I'm just here to offer moral support as others have: I failed my first histology quiz in med school and I was so demoralized I ran back to my ex-girlfriend on my hands and knees for emotional support after I broke up with her before medical school (She didn't take me back -- smart girl). Now this might sound normal to you Americans, but I come from a very machismo culture and this was essentially the lowest point in my seemingly unending cycles of emotional debacle in med school. Now as a 4th year I look back and just laugh, realizing my ordinariness in the face of it all. You'll have worse quizzes/tests than this in the future (Sorry). You'll realize that you can handle set-backs and get back in the saddle. You'll discover your Warrior spirit, and you'll learn that you're pretty much invincible. You can't discover that you're a Warrior until you watch yourself survive what appears at the time to be the end of you. Let the disasters come, this is just round 1: Ready, set, Fight!! You fell down? Cry me a ******* river. Fight on!!!! None of us will get through this without some emotional scars, but if you really think about it, that's what you were born to do. All the stars in the universe have aligned themselves so that you can be here at this moment in time in the position you're in. Someone else wanted your spot but you beat them to it. You're a Warrior. You always were. Now embrace that ****, embrace it fully. Expect hell, and carry on!!
The worst part for me is that I know we all feel this way in one way or another, yet it feels like we are the only ones.

Maybe the way you're studying isn't the way you learn best?? Does your school have a learning specialist??