Did SOPHAS change the formatting on your CV file?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AoiSora

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've just noticed that SOPHAS seems to have changed the spacing on my CV so that it's messy and almost impossible to read in parts. Has this happened to anyone else? I uploaded it as a PDF specifically so that would not happen, but the system must have converted it in some way.

Should I contact my schools to give them a more readable version of the CV, or is that pushy?

Members don't see this ad.

I just double checked and my CV looks exactly the same after it was uploaded. Not sure their system could change the formatting of a pdf. Did you double check the original pdf?

I would reach out to SOPHAS if you definitely believe it was on their end. I wouldn't bother contacting each school individually yet.

The original PDF is fine. However, as I learned from the internet today, if fonts are not embedded in the PDF then the original font can be stripped and replaced, which can alter the layout. That seems to be what happened here. The CV was in Calibri. The SOPHAS system displayed it as Times New Roman, which somehow altered the spacing. SOPHAS is understandably unable to replace CVs once you have hit submit.

I contacted my programs and was relieved to hear back right away from my tied-for-first choice that it's no problem.

For future applicants: if you're using a Mac and have a complex CV, double-check before you hit submit *even if* you uploaded a PDF. I feel foolish for not having checked, but until this weekend I thought the point of PDFs was that they would always be displayed unaltered.

For some reason, this happened to me when I first uploaded my CV into SOPHAS. Thankfully, I had opened it to ensure everything looked fine. I noticed the spacing had been changed so I removed it and made some edits. After I uploaded it the second time, everything was fine. I'm not sure why it happened, but it is a weird thing that seems to occur with their system. I'm glad that your schools have been understanding about it!