Did worse 2nd MCAT! Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yocharlie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted a year ago with these stats, originally I first got a pretty low MCAT 24 PS8/VR5/BS11. I was going to apply that same cycle but i figured I didn't want to apply without giving it a second shot....but that failed!
Now I retook this April and got a 22, 9/5/8. I'm pretty devastated but there was definitely a lot going on personally for my second MCAT which may have reflected on my scores. Verbal is my death...has always been (ESL)

So initially, I decided not to apply this cycle and push to next and try to restart studying for the october test for my 3rd try. Now, I'm starting to have a change in thought about when to apply. What do you think about my chances if I did okay... (26-28) my final mcat and still applied this DO cycle with my below stats? I'm real worried about the MCATs and still maybe debating not even taking MCAT and doing a hail mary and jsut applying with what I got...but thats probably a terrible idea...maybe?

What are your thoughts?? Appreciate any advice given!

Graduated in 2010 non-trad (its been 4 years long gap years!)
AACOMAS cgpa 3.47 sgpa 3.41
non URM but first generation college

EC:
- 200+ hours of shadowing DO/MD as part of a year internship
- Lived abroad/worked for 2 years in underserved communities in latin america as program lead for a health program in international development
- trilingual english, spanish and vietnamese
- clinical research coordinator for over a year with starting projects in latin america living there as well
- 2 co-authorships in cancer research
- teacher intern
- cofounder of campus club which later became very involved (same health organization as above)
- Tons of leadership positions and roles
- have excellent LOR including DOs
- presented at national conferences

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You got great ECs in my opinion and your GPA is fine at least for DO. It's all about the MCAT now. Even if it means waiting to take the new MCAT, wait until you are absolutely sure you can do your best. You've taken this test twice already in testing conditions. You KNOW what's coming. Study your arse off and kill that exam. You might want to consider completely revamping your study habits/test taking techniques. I'd go over to the MCAT forum and discuss with others in there about how you can improve.

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, yeah I realize that it definitely is the MCAT. I prepared beforehand with Kaplan Course online, which I thought was great but didn't reflect my scores well. Mainly cause I have been out of school for 2-3 years already and it's the first time I picked up a text book again. I did the Kaplan 2x (didn't really change much of my attack which I think was the issue) Now I'm working on doing the 3 month SN2ed schedule and seeing how I feel with BR material. Definitely difficult but trying to kick it's butt.

Will applying this cycle hinder me if I take MCAT by Oct/early Nov? Or should I better my chances at just waiting until next cycle and submit early. If I do apply this cycle, should I be submitting anything before my MCAT or just wait and see what my scores turn out to be? I have the majority of my application ready from previous cycles (didn't submit). Only thing I need to write is my PS and of course II.

Thanks!!!

I think that your best chances will be with the newest DO programs. Some schools may avg your total MCAT score, but others will take the best composite, which is a 9/5/11 = 25(!). Apply broadly and you should be able to hook some IIs.

As per gyngyn's sage counsel, do NOT retake the MCAT unless you make some significant attempts to improve your VR deficits.

I posted a year ago with these stats, originally I first got a pretty low MCAT 24 PS8/VR5/BS11. I was going to apply that same cycle but i figured I didn't want to apply without giving it a second shot....but that failed!
Now I retook this April and got a 22, 9/5/8. I'm pretty devastated but there was definitely a lot going on personally for my second MCAT which may have reflected on my scores. Verbal is my death...has always been (ESL)

So initially, I decided not to apply this cycle and push to next and try to restart studying for the october test for my 3rd try. Now, I'm starting to have a change in thought about when to apply. What do you think about my chances if I did okay... (26-28) my final mcat and still applied this DO cycle with my below stats? I'm real worried about the MCATs and still maybe debating not even taking MCAT and doing a hail mary and jsut applying with what I got...but thats probably a terrible idea...maybe?

What are your thoughts?? Appreciate any advice given!

Graduated in 2010 non-trad (its been 4 years long gap years!)
AACOMAS cgpa 3.47 sgpa 3.41
non URM but first generation college

EC:
- 200+ hours of shadowing DO/MD as part of a year internship
- Lived abroad/worked for 2 years in underserved communities in latin america as program lead for a health program in international development
- trilingual english, spanish and vietnamese
- clinical research coordinator for over a year with starting projects in latin america living there as well
- 2 co-authorships in cancer research
- teacher intern
- cofounder of campus club which later became very involved (same health organization as above)
- Tons of leadership positions and roles
- have excellent LOR including DOs
- presented at national conferences

Reactions: 1 user
I think that your best chances will be with the newest DO programs. Some schools may avg your total MCAT score, but others will take the best composite, which is a 9/5/11 = 25(!). Apply broadly and you should be able to hook some IIs.

As per gyngyn's sage counsel, do NOT retake the MCAT unless you make some significant attempts to improve your VR deficits.

Thanks Goro for the advice. I think I will take that and see how that runs but still study for the MCATs depending on how the application rounds go. You think applying 2-3 months into the application cycle that (crossing my fingers) I'll get responses for interviews before the last sitting for the old MCAT in January? Just trying to plan a backup and a bit avoiding the new MCAT .

The DO cycle lasts longer and you can still have your secondaries in by DEC and interview for an honest seat, not merely a spot on the wait list. Jan is getting a tad late.

Thanks Goro for the advice. I think I will take that and see how that runs but still study for the MCATs depending on how the application rounds go. You think applying 2-3 months into the application cycle that (crossing my fingers) I'll get responses for interviews before the last sitting for the old MCAT in January? Just trying to plan a backup and a bit avoiding the new MCAT .