did you end up where you thought?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flyhi

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think it's common for students to enter pod school having an idea of what they *think* they want to focus on as a practitioner (i.e. diabetic reconstruction, wound care, complex rearfoot surgeries, research and academia, pediatric congenital deformities, trauma, sports medicine, etc).

Curious to know how much you changed throughout the entire educational process and what was the biggest influence in this change... your pre-clinical years, rotations, clerkships, a mentor, residency, etc?

Do you think some folks were surprised by either their ability, or inability, to be a great surgeon for instance, and ended up having their mind changed for them due to this fact?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's important for everyone to think BIG. Be reasonable about your own personal expectations, but shoot for the stars.

Then, once you mature, you start to appreciate your limitations as a person (IF your ego allows you to, which is a whole other story), as a practitioner, and as a surgeon, and then hopefully limit yourself in practice to do what you know you're good at and have the self confidence to refer to others, if there are things in practice you don't feel comfortable doing.

Ultimately, regardless of training and where you went to school, it's up to you to make sure you are the best at what you do and do what you are best at.

I was very lucky in residency that I got to see lots of podopeds, which is something I was always very interested in, but I also help at a wound care center, and see all other types of patients, so I don't limit myself. I'm also comfortable doing just about anything foot/ankle in the OR, but if I had my way, I would be extremely happy only performing bunionectomies and ankle scopes for the rest of my career, since these patients tend to do extraordinarily well. That's not really reasonable though.

Do what you feel the most comfortable doing. There are also plenty of opportunities to expand your repertoire (TAR for example for us older guys), so grab them if you are so inclined.

We all ultimately have the ability to choose what we REALLY want to do in practice. If there is something you don't do well, please know when to refer. There are some things I'm not extremely "fond" of, but as a team player, I do what I have to do to keep our practice successful.

I believe I'm pretty competent in wound care and wound management, though it's not something I can say I enjoy. There are many other types of surgical procedures I'd prefer performing that I find more challenging and more rewarding. Despite those facts, our office is associated with a wound care center and receives a fair amount of wound referrals via the ER and hospital consults. Although I do not work in the wound care center, I still have to cover consults and emergency surgical cases.

As a result, although this certainly isn't my favorite part of practice, within the past week I will have performed 3 amputations as a result of consults via the ER. These patients came in as a trainwreck.

I can choose NOT to do these cases, but it would put a burden on some of my partners and/or associates, and that's not how I function and not what made our practice successful.

So I'd recommend that you enter practice with an open mind and understand that to be truly successful, you will usually have to offer a full spectrum of services to your patients AND your referral sources. Referral sources don't want to take the time to pick and choose what you will treat and not treat. They want your practice to be one stop shopping for ALL their patients foot/ankle needs. And THAT'S how you become and maintain a successfu practice.

There was a guy down the road who was "too good" to take care of corns. I was happy to treat those patients, and many of those patients gained confidence in my abilities and eventually went on to have a surgical procedure or refer a friend, etc., etc.

Pick some aspect of our profession you like and you may want to excel in that area, but be open minded and don't limit yourself and you will probably have an easier time.

I really WANTED to limit my practice to female exotic dancers and centerfolds, but then realized I MIGHT have to expand my list just a little to put food on my table.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for your insight, much appreciated.

Just curious: How likely is a student to obtain residency at one of the programs they externed?

Just curious: How likely is a student to obtain residency at one of the programs they externed?

Although that is a great question, it is very difficult to say. There are so many factors involved in that questions. Assuming the student performs very well, is polite, and shows a good work ethic, it is more likely that he or she will match with that program than with a program he or she never visited or externed at, but exact figures as to percentages are almost impossible to guess.

I really WANTED to limit my practice to female exotic dancers and centerfolds, but then realized I MIGHT have to expand my list just a little to put food on my table.

I heard those types of girls REALLY like you though...:p.

Last edited:
I heard those types of girls REALLY like you though...:p.

Hey, nothing wrong with going to check out the 'Shoe Show' every now and then :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
While it is difficult to give a definitive answer, many programs will ultimately choose from their externs. The easiest thing to do is ask the program. Most programs have a trend and will answer honestly. All the places I went chose from externs except for one.