Didn't get in.. Masters or Dental related job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joecardo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
22 y/o Kentucky resident
Undergrad: The University of Alabama
GPA: Science 3.42 Overall 3.53
DAT: 21AA/23PAT
Interviewed at UK, Louisville, and UAB.

UK: Rejection
Louisville: "Next to be contacted" pool
UAB: Haven't heard anything yet

I'm still really hoping to hear from UAB and would love to hear from Louisville but I'm starting to freak out and don't want to waste a year if I get denied from all three schools.

I thought all my interviews went fine, I might have seemed nervous but this is my first cycle I'm sure I wasn't alone.
I know my shadowing hours are weak (46), and my volunteer work might be on the low end but I have over 500 hours of research in a bio lab that I tried to emphasize.

Anyways I went to talk to my professor today about not getting in and he said he would have a position for a masters program next fall and would sponsor me for it. However, this would require me taking the GRE and completely switching gears from what I would like to be doing for another two years. Would completing a masters program significantly help my application or would getting more involved in the dental profession and applying for a job in an office or as a lab technician for a year and increasing my exposure to dentistry be better?

To everyone else that got accepted today, congrats!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I personally would first call the schools that I was hoping to attend and ask them what I was lacking. Then ask whether or not a masters would even help out. They might tell you it is just shadowing hours or something else. A masters can be expensive and if it is a much simpler thing you can do while working you will financially be way ahead in my opinion.
But you have such a long time left in this cycle that I wouldn't give up just yet for sure.

Reactions: 1 user
If your stats did not get you in (so far), how exactly is working as a DA or in a dental lab make you a better candidate?

Did you apply to only 3 schools? I would just wait it out before applying to a program. Your stats are fine though.

Thanks for the response guys I know it's not completely over yet, I spoke to a student that said half her class didn't get in on December 1st last year.

The masters program wouldn't cost me money if I did it here at UA because they'll pay you as long as you TA two introductory labs, it would just cost me two years.

I applied to six schools but only got interviews at UofL, UK, and UAB.

As far as working as a DA or in a lab goes, I think the biggest weakness in my application was my lack of exposure to the field. I was asked about my low shadowing hours and think working directly in a lab or for a dentist would increase my exposure and be seen as a commitment to dentistry.

I was in the same boat last cycle and applied to one year masters (might i recommend the one at Rutgers Newark) and that seemed to make the school more interested. i am waitlisted to UL and UK but i have to submit my first semester grades.

Thanks for the response guys I know it's not completely over yet, I spoke to a student that said half her class didn't get in on December 1st last year.

The masters program wouldn't cost me money if I did it here at UA because they'll pay you as long as you TA two introductory labs, it would just cost me two years.

I applied to six schools but only got interviews at UofL, UK, and UAB.

As far as working as a DA or in a lab goes, I think the biggest weakness in my application was my lack of exposure to the field. I was asked about my low shadowing hours and think working directly in a lab or for a dentist would increase my exposure and be seen as a commitment to dentistry.

In terms of my post and working I was suggesting a job as in medical sales or something with a science background and saving a lot of money. I wasn't speaking of a job in a dental lab or dental office. Then if school doesn't work out for now you are working towards something until you get in. But fingers crossed you get in this year!

If you did not have the requisite number of shadowing hours recommended/required by the ds in question, it certainly makes it for a valid question, otherwise it was most likely a red herring, and perhaps you were not quick enough on your feet for a response.

If your stats did not get you in (so far), how exactly is working as a DA or in a dental lab make you a better candidate?

My stats (GPA specifically) aren't that great, but I have been a dental hygienist for over 10 years and I think this is what got me into Ohio State. FWIW

Rather than spend 40k+ on a masters program that wouldn't make me a better dentist, I completed a 2 year ADA accredited Dental Laboratory Technology program and it paid off in dividends. The ADCOM Gods were pleased. But hey, who the heck knows what they really want.

My stats (GPA specifically) aren't that great, but I have been a dental hygienist for over 10 years and I think this is what got me into Ohio State. FWIW

Rather than spend 40k+ on a masters program that wouldn't make me a better dentist, I completed a 2 year ADA accredited Dental Laboratory Technology program and it paid off in dividends. The ADCOM Gods were pleased. But hey, who the heck knows what they really want.

Or the acceptance was in spite of the dental related background.
That's why it might be wise to ask the "ADCOM Gods" themselves.

ECU is my number one choice for dental schools. Would you mind posting a link to this program and shedding some light on what it was all about. Did ECU specifically mention this to you when you did not get in?

Thanks,
A fellow North Carolinian

one year masters with a some part time dental job (either ina dental lab or as a dental assistant)
also def do some more shadowing
and apply to at least ten schools next time, better safe than sorry
good job on your DAT though :)

you made the mistake of not applying to enough schools+not doing enough research... get more shadowing hours and apply next cycle and i'd be willing to bet that you'd get in somewhere.

you should have added schools like BU, NYU, USC, Tufts, NOVA, LECOM, temple...the list goes on. my advice is to buy the adea guide for next cycle and read it thoroughly and make a list of schools to apply to. if you need a second opinion, post on the forum for feedback.

22 y/o Kentucky resident
Undergrad: The University of Alabama
GPA: Science 3.42 Overall 3.53
DAT: 21AA/23PAT
Interviewed at UK, Louisville, and UAB.

UK: Rejection
Louisville: "Next to be contacted" pool
UAB: Haven't heard anything yet

I'm still really hoping to hear from UAB and would love to hear from Louisville but I'm starting to freak out and don't want to waste a year if I get denied from all three schools.

I thought all my interviews went fine, I might have seemed nervous but this is my first cycle I'm sure I wasn't alone.
I know my shadowing hours are weak (46), and my volunteer work might be on the low end but I have over 500 hours of research in a bio lab that I tried to emphasize.

Anyways I went to talk to my professor today about not getting in and he said he would have a position for a masters program next fall and would sponsor me for it. However, this would require me taking the GRE and completely switching gears from what I would like to be doing for another two years. Would completing a masters program significantly help my application or would getting more involved in the dental profession and applying for a job in an office or as a lab technician for a year and increasing my exposure to dentistry be better?

To everyone else that got accepted today, congrats!

Thanks everyone, I got a call two weeks ago with another interview invite at MUSC on Feb. 6th so hopefully I knock this one out of the park.

I've been shadowing weekly this semester and if all else fails I'm going to reapply to more schools next time around and hopefully get a part time job this summer/next fall/spring in a lab or something dentistry related.

Sorry to bring up this old thread but I was just denied from MUSC as well. I'm still waitlisted at Louisville but a friend of mine said their blackboard has 117 students out of the 120 total so it's not looking great.

Anyways, how important is it to get the AADSAS application sent in the first week it opens? Mine wasn't sent out until July 25, did this hurt me?

If you had 3/4 pre-December interviews and your stuff submitted July 25, then no this wasn't the issue with being accepted. Acceptance is based off of your interview and stats. They won't not accept you after an interview just because of your application submission date. Just keep up your shadowing/dental related work and practice interviewing for next cycle. I'd suggest having people other than family members or friends giving you mock interviews.

Getting masters will not significantly help you, only people who don't have anything else they can do to strength their application do that. Getting a dental related job would help you a lot more especially since your shadowing hours are lacking. Also, this way you will be making money toward helping pay for dental school rather than spending money for some classes you don't need.

If you can't find a job, do research and get more shadowing hours. Masters is very overrated. Also, apply to more schools.