Didn't get into your top choice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VetMedVetMed

-
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious... For those of you who have applied to Veterinary schools and have been accepted, have you accepted at a school you initially thought you wouldn't go to? How many of you did not get into your top choice, and did not choose to reapply for that top choice school, but took an acceptance from another school? If so, are you happy with your decision, or do you feel you wish you waited a year to have the chance of being accepted to your top choice?

There was no post anywhere about this, and I thought this would be very interesting to hear what everyone's thoughts were.

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My top school was UC Davis, which I knew as an OOS applicant was a reach (I just posted their OOS stats in their thread if you want to see what I mean). It looks really bad to decline an offer of admission and apply again the next year, so if your heart is set on your #1 to the extent that you would forego any other admission offer, save yourself the money and only apply to that school.

I personally just had an interview with RVC and after their presentation, it has quickly (and surprisingly to me) jumped to the top of my list. If your top choice is for financial reasons (you have an IS school that would save you buckets of money) then I would say that might be worth it. For those of us who don't have an IS, I think any of the AVMA accredited schools will get me where I want to go. There may be slight differences in teaching methods or clinical placements, but at the end of the day unless there is some glaring reason your #1 is your #1, I personally didn't feel it warranted foregoing admission to another school just to try to get into Davis again. All of these schools are amazing. Every single one. And at the end of it, you'll be a vet, and that's what's important, right?

Reactions: 1 user
I was curious... For those of you who have applied to Veterinary schools and have been accepted, have you accepted at a school you initially thought you wouldn't go to? How many of you did not get into your top choice, and did not choose to reapply for that top choice school, but took an acceptance from another school? If so, are you happy with your decision, or do you feel you wish you waited a year to have the chance of being accepted to your top choice?

There was no post anywhere about this, and I thought this would be very interesting to hear what everyone's thoughts were.

Thanks everyone!
you really shouldn't apply to any school you wouldn't go to. Do your research beforehand. And then weigh the pros and cons. is taking a year off and doing other things worth more than starting vet school right away (that answer depends on you). This isn't like undergrad where applying everywhere is what is recommended. It is pretty expensive to apply to vet schools and there really aren't "safety" schools. Apply to places you have the stats for/pre-reqs for that you would attend if admitted. If that's only 1 school, only apply to that school, but have a back up plan

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was curious... For those of you who have applied to Veterinary schools and have been accepted, have you accepted at a school you initially thought you wouldn't go to?
Yes.

How many of you did not get into your top choice, and did not choose to reapply for that top choice school, but took an acceptance from another school?
Me.

If so, are you happy with your decision, or do you feel you wish you waited a year to have the chance of being accepted to your top choice?
Happy with the decision because I got done in four years and am now practicing. No guarantee that you will be accepted anywhere the next year, or the year after that, etc. May as well take an acceptance that you have.

Thanks everyone!
I think what you need to figure out is why your top choice didn't accept you. For me, my top choice was my IS purely for tuition reasons. Other than that, I'm not drawn to the school at all, and I don't have the academic stats they look for. I still applied a second time because of the IS tuition and certainly would have gone. I briefly debated turning down my acceptances this year to try one more time for IS tuition, but decided against it. I would have had to seriously overhaul my application to be accepted there, and frankly, I didn't exactly want to go to that school. IS tuition is definitely something to strive for, but I decided to draw a line. I would have never let myself live it down if I turned down two schools and never saw an acceptance again.

Thank you for writing everyone!

I applied a year early actually so not all of my prereqs are done. I haven't heard back yet from all of my schools yet..

I'm the complete opposite. My first year, I only applied to my IS, got interviewed, got rejected. Second year I applied to my IS and two neighboring state schools simply because of their proximity to my family and boyfriend. When I was only accepted to the most expensive out of the three, I turned it down. Still to this day I don't know if it was the right decision or not, because I'm missing out on my childhood dream. But I also didn't want to graduate with over 300k in debt.

I'm the complete opposite. My first year, I only applied to my IS, got interviewed, got rejected. Second year I applied to my IS and two neighboring state schools simply because of their proximity to my family and boyfriend. When I was only accepted to the most expensive out of the three, I turned it down. Still to this day I don't know if it was the right decision or not, because I'm missing out on my childhood dream. But I also didn't want to graduate with over 300k in debt.

Did you reapply to Vet school again this year including your IS again?

Did you reapply to Vet school again this year including your IS again?
I have not. I am taking some time outside of vet med to see what other animal-related careers are open to me with a bachelors in animal science. So far I'm the assistant manager of a hog research farm, so I got that going for me, which is nice. Going to pay down my UG debt and wait for my BF to graduate with his degree before reevaluating what I want to do next.

I have not. I am taking some time outside of vet med to see what other animal-related careers are open to me with a bachelors in animal science. So far I'm the assistant manager of a hog research farm, so I got that going for me, which is nice. Going to pay down my UG debt and wait for my BF to graduate with his degree before reevaluating what I want to do next.

Thanks so much for your feedback. I wish you good luck in anything you do!

Be an embryologist ;)

Reactions: 3 users
Be an embryologist ;)
I wannaaaaaaa! Repro is my closest love. I still have all my repro and physio notes from class just sitting on my bookshelf. Even trying to figure out our farm's repro problems is the best part of my job. I would love nothing more than to up and go to CSU for your program. But, family, money, boyfriend, etc. I'm waiting for him to graduate so that if we move out of state, it'll be together.

I remember how TwelveTigers applied to just her top choice, got rejected, tried the next year, got rejected again, then finally went balls to the wall and applied to ten schools. Only one school accepted her...and it was the one she wanted all along. Weird how things can turn out!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was rejected without an interview by my top choice (my IS) and ended up only getting into the school that I had as my 4th (and last) choice, but I fell in love with it during my intreview day. Had to defer so we'll see how things go but I'm not regretting anything yet :)

I was rejected without an interview by my top choice (my IS) and ended up only getting into the school that I had as my 4th (and last) choice, but I fell in love with it during my intreview day. Had to defer so we'll see how things go but I'm not regretting anything yet :)

I didn't realize you'd had an acceptance. They've already started accepting people in this cycle?

It's only my first try applying, but I ended up having to pick a completely different set of schools than originally planned (I thought I'd apply to 6 or even more schools, but due to the cost and different school prereq requirements I had to switch most of them out and then cut down to 4). LSU (my undergrad) and Colorado State are the only ones out of my original list that remain...and so far I'm already rejected from LSU. CSU is definitely my top choice school and I'd pick them in a heartbeat, but if not them I would gladly attend whatever school accepted me!

I agree with the points everyone has made...If I got accepted somewhere, I would NEVER turn it down for the sole reason of trying again for another school next cycle. That would be a risky waste of money so I don't really know who would do it, unless they had extenuating circumstances or realized they really don't want to attend the accepting school for one reason or another (like Gwen mentioned about expense). Maybe other people with better stats/more surefire chances of acceptance have done it, but I'm one of those in a position that it'll be tough enough to get an acceptance at all, so I wouldn't decline one just to gamble on the chance of getting in elsewhere ;)

Along the lines of "don't apply to a school you wouldn't go to": I plan on applying to SGU, and my mom already thinks I should. But, I didn't want to do that this year because I feel like with my stats I'm more likely to get an interview there than anywhere else I've applied--I don't wanna apply there and end up having to decide whether or not to reject their acceptance just so I can try again for a US school, if that makes sense? I want to at least wait until my 2nd or 3rd application cycle to start applying Caribbean, because it would be way easier both travel and cost-wise to remain in the US, so I would not plan on actually going to SGU until I have exhausted my other options...cost/debt is a pretty important point to consider when picking where to attend.

CSU is definitely my top choice school and I'd pick them in a heartbeat, but if not them I would gladly attend whatever school accepted me!

I really, really like CSU........a long time ago, I had a reason, but I forgot what it was. Regardless, my admiration remains. What gives? xD

I really, really like CSU........a long time ago, I had a reason, but I forgot what it was. Regardless, my admiration remains. What gives? xD
because it's cool as HEEEECK?

Hah...way back in senior year high school I really wanted to attend CSU for undergrad partly because of their "#2 vet school" ranking (Cornell was ranked #1, but I didn't want to apply to an Ivy league...). Now I know those "school rankings" are pretty much bs, but I still admire the location, programs, etc., plus I have family members in CO too (don't remember if they're anywhere near Ft. Collins). I applied for the combined Alaska/CSU program too, know it's a long shot but I'm ready to see the results come mid-December, it keeps getting pushed back! :arghh:

I still have a CSU bumper sticker they sent me from back when I applied, so if I were to get accepted to their SVM I could finally put it to use ;)

because it's cool as HEEEECK?

Hah...way back in senior year high school I really wanted to attend CSU for undergrad partly because of their "#2 vet school" ranking (Cornell was ranked #1, but I didn't want to apply to an Ivy league...). Now I know those "school rankings" are pretty much bs, but I still admire the location, programs, etc., plus I have family members in CO too (don't remember if they're anywhere near Ft. Collins). I applied for the combined Alaska/CSU program too, know it's a long shot but I'm ready to see the results come mid-December, it keeps getting pushed back! :arghh:

I did not know that it was #2. All I know is I never hear anybody on here posting about going to Cornell, so I don't think about it much.

I like UC Davis, Western, and CSU. Davis I liked because it's my IS, my last vet went there, and because I had a great phone conversation once with one of the vet school professors. Western is also my IS (California is so spoiled, we have two vet schools :p) though I do not believe being IS makes its crazy high tuition any cheaper. But I like the school because I love close to it and for some reason living near a vet school makes me feel cool xD

....and you know what, I think I still get their magazine! I inquired into that school back in like 2010.

I still have a CSU bumper sticker they sent me from back when I applied, so if I were to get accepted to their SVM I could finally put it to use ;)

There was a time when I wanted to do pre-vet (well animal science, Pre-Vet/Graduate School track) at Cal Poly Pomona and I still have the button they gave me when I went to meet the dean of the animal science college in 2011. It's hanging on my wall ^_^

Last edited:
I like UC Davis, Western, and CSU. Davis I liked because it's my IS, my last vet went there, and because I had a great phone conversation once with one of the vet school professors. Western is also my IS (California is so spoiled, we have two vet schools :p) though I do not believe being IS makes its crazy high tuition any cheaper. But I like the school because I love close to it and for some reason living near a vet school makes me feel cool xD
Arghhh I'm so jealous of the few states that have more than one vet school, because somehow the huge AF state of Texas, with the second-largest population in the country, only gets A&M :\ even though it's my IS, it's so far away from me that I'm more familiar with another state's vet facilities (my undergrad LSU) than theirs, and I can't really apply there without taking several prereqs that none of the other schools I'm applying to need (not worth it IMO for just the slight chance of getting IS tuition, I assume the IS applicant pool is really huge and competitive...) So I wish that Texas could get another SVM, but with all the concerns of overflow/decreasing job availability in the profession I doubt any new US vet schools will happen in the foreseeable future (unless I'm missing something).

In addition to LSU and CSU I'd originally planned on applying to OK state, Mich state, Iowa state, Dublin/Glasgow/Edinburgh/SGU...I had not even given a thought to the schools I ended up switching to (WSU and Ohio State), but now I would definitely be happy with them as well. WSU actually seemed great for me once I looked into it! I feel like I may have the best chances there out of the 4 I applied to, so I'm anxiously awaiting their responses to OOS applicants, LOL. Once the whole interview/decision process is over I gotta think of where I can apply next cycle.

I didn't realize you'd had an acceptance. They've already started accepting people in this cycle?
Last cycle. I was originally c/o 2019. Like I said, I had to defer :)

Though some schools actually have handed out some acceptances already! I think Midwestern has, because they do more of a rolling admissions style.

I remember how TwelveTigers applied to just her top choice, got rejected, tried the next year, got rejected again, then finally went balls to the wall and applied to ten schools. Only one school accepted her...and it was the one she wanted all along. Weird how things can turn out!

And thank jeebus for that, because I would not have wanted any more debt than I ended up with.

OP, your top choice should be your cheapest option. That goes for everyone else applying too. The profession is not in a place where you can get all starry-eyed about going to {school} because you just looooove whatever... you need to come out with the least amount of debt humanly possible. And you WILL be thankful for that when you graduate.

Reactions: 4 users
I had wanted to apply to 6 schools, but when I was ready to turn in my app, I ran into a financial problem (had to fix the car with the money I'd saved for apps... it's busted again already :( )
So I pared it down to 3 that made the most sense financially and gave me the best chances of admission. This is my last attempt. No more tries. I ran $45 short and had to cut one more. I don't know if I chose correctly, but I cut Michigan and left Wisconsin (due to price) but I was interested in Michigan for a PhD without vet school, so I. ... I don't know... I wish I'd had a bit more time or money.

The other school, my top choice and IS, is CSU.

I keep getting told "It's okay, there's always next year!" But I'm getting to old and have too many responsibilities to set life on hold and not go get a well paying job for something that just might not happen no matter how badly I want it or how many vets ask me if I know why I didn't get in. (Even they ask dumb questions about admissions:))

And thank jeebus for that, because I would not have wanted any more debt than I ended up with.

OP, your top choice should be your cheapest option. That goes for everyone else applying too. The profession is not in a place where you can get all starry-eyed about going to {school} because you just looooove whatever... you need to come out with the least amount of debt humanly possible. And you WILL be thankful for that when you graduate.
This X 100. During undergrad I was completely in love with an OOS school and it was my number one dream school all the way through. I got accepted, and then once I started crunching numbers I realized how much crushing debt I would be in (I think the difference was over 300,000 once interest was all said and done.....). Even vets that graduated from that school and loved it begged me to go to my IS.

Once I got into my IS and matriculated, I quickly realized that I loved the school even more than the OOS school, and it just completely changed my view on things. The bottom line is: the education I am receiving will make me a competent vet regardless of where I go, but the excess debt I would have obtained at an OOS school would have followed me for the rest of my life.

Even vets that graduated from that school and loved it begged me to go to my IS.

Amen. That's what I tell people about UMN. I feel neurotic because I love my alma mater. Great school, outstanding faculty, good facilities, strong case load .... I mean, there just aren't many negatives to it.

Except that one big one called 'cost'. Somehow UMN needs to get its cost under control ... and not just 'frozen', they need to get it down. Otherwise I just can't really recommend people go there OOS (even as IS it's expensive) .... it's too crippling to their future. On the one hand, I feel sorry for the administration; it's not like they can just say "yay, let's cut tuition in half". They have a budget to balance. And cutting tuition is an incredibly difficult task. On the other hand - their salaries are public info, and they are making more than any of their graduates, so my sympathy is somewhat limited. They need to buckle down and make it their absolute number 1 priority.

Like a lot of problems, I suspect the solution is multi-faceted: public education about the value of vet med, lobbying at the state level for funding, lobbying at the university level for a bigger cut of the pie, deep budget analysis for potential budget-cutting possibilities, increasing revenue through the hospital via advertising and focused niche services, etc.

This X 100. During undergrad I was completely in love with an OOS school and it was my number one dream school all the way through. I got accepted, and then once I started crunching numbers I realized how much crushing debt I would be in (I think the difference was over 300,000 once interest was all said and done.....). Even vets that graduated from that school and loved it begged me to go to my IS.

Once I got into my IS and matriculated, I quickly realized that I loved the school even more than the OOS school, and it just completely changed my view on things. The bottom line is: the education I am receiving will make me a competent vet regardless of where I go, but the excess debt I would have obtained at an OOS school would have followed me for the rest of my life.

Very true...but for those of you are ARE already going to those over-expensive schools...you can't change that now, so just make your life the best it can be! I am a firm believer that no matter how much things suck, we can always make them suck less ;)

Last edited:
Very true...but for those of you are ARE already going to those over-expensive schools...you can't change that now, so just make your life the best it can be! I am a firm believer that no matter how much things suck, we can always make them suck less ;)
Actually, it's not unheard of for people to drop at any point during school (well, maybe not so much 3rd year and beyond) just because they want to cut their losses. That's at any school, not just the super pricey ones. You can change that at any time you want.

I've resigned myself to my -$200k fate

It did cross my mind that if the application deadline hadn't been moved up a month I might have had time to reapply to my IS, but my application probably would have been worse than last year due to post-acceptance senioritis anyway.

Actually, it's not unheard of for people to drop at any point during school (well, maybe not so much 3rd year and beyond) just because they want to cut their losses. That's at any school, not just the super pricey ones. You can change that at any time you want.

Whoa. People do that? Hmm. Learn something new every day.

For some reason I thought that once you started vet school it was best to finish if you can (meaning you're not one of the unlucky few that can't pass their courses.)

And okay...then I limit what I said to people in like 4th year. And grads :p

I turned down an OOS acceptance due to cost because I didn't think I would do as well at my IS as I did (by that I mean even interview) and felt confident that I could improve greatly the next year, so I reapplied and got in. The money I saved was extreme.

Man, I hope I live long enough to see the day when a veterinary education becomes affordable again.

For some reason I thought that once you started vet school it was best to finish if you can (meaning you're not one of the unlucky few that can't pass their courses.)

I've had a few friends and classmates drop out in various years including third year. Haven't heard of anyone dropping in fourth year. None of the drops were due to failing. Some were health related and others because they realized vet med really wasn't for them anymore.

I turned down an OOS acceptance due to cost because I didn't think I would do as well at my IS as I did (by that I mean even interview) and felt confident that I could improve greatly the next year, so I reapplied and got in. The money I saved was extreme.

This is very interesting.. Thank you for your response! Can I ask, the year you reapplied and got into your IS school, did you also reapply to the school you were accepted the year prior? If so, what happened? Did your IS school that accepted you know about your previous acceptance and that you turned another school down? I always wonder this..

I have no top choices. I also have no IS schools. When I graduate next month, I'm really going to start reaching out to organizations. I received little to no assistance with resources when I was in the hospital after my injury (crazy how fast they kick people out nowadays based on insurance), but so many people have talked to me now about vocational rehab. I talked to one guy who had med school completely paid for. That would be absolutely amazing if I could get vet school covered; even half would be fine by me.

Nonetheless, I'll be grateful to any institution that's willing to take a chance with me.

When I was working as a skydiver, I became friends with a relatively new jumper. She left Minnesota during 4th year, dropped it all, and decided to pursue skydiving. I ended up taking her on her first wingsuit jump right before I was injured, she started dating the pilot, and now they're both out in Dubai, one of the top spots in the world of aerial sports. I think she's an instructor there now. Change of plans.

That's gotta suck to have all that debt and no DVM degree to show for it...but then again, there are careers you could get into that don't require a degree and you could make as much as a vet. So, I guess it's basically the same financial situation just different career?

Another thing to think about with extra debt. A lot of people think, oh my IS will cost $100k, my OOS $200k, it's $100k more. If I make $80k, I'll take home $50k. No prob, I'll live a frugal lifestyle and pay $25k per year on my loans. That's just 4 extra years.

It just doesn't work like that.

It's $100k extra plus ~7% per year of interest on that. Add to that all the interest from the 4 years of vet school that you've accrued that is capitalizing... So if your IS was $100k, and you take on $100k extra... your total debt will be closer to $240k by the time you start repaying it. That suddenly becomes $17k per year in interest alone. So if you're contributing $25k per year on your loans... You will only be able to pay $8k per year of your $240k principal. Nope, it won't be just 4 extra years.

And that's best case scenario where your OOS loan is only $50k per year, you find good employment with 80k salary, and you can live on 25k. It is not easy for people to spend $25k+ on their loans per year. Most people can't.

Obviously all of this is impossible for a lot of people. So if you go this route, you will be at the mercy of whatever government loan forgiveness plan that may or may not exist.

It's better to leave with only 1-2 years of debt than just finish for the sake of finishing and end up not in vet med by choice or doing it solely for a paycheck because now you have debt. If that makes sense.

It's better to leave with only 1-2 years of debt than just finish for the sake of finishing and end up not in vet med by choice or doing it solely for a paycheck because now you have debt. If that makes sense.
I both agree and disagree with this. Yes if you're not going to use your DVM, then by all means reduce the debt and don't finish. But if you're just having problems with vet school and already have 100K+ in loans?

I'm at a point now where there's no way I would drop out, even if I no longer felt the same passion for vet med as I did when I started. If I don't come out of this with a DVM, and then use said DVM, then that was tens of thousands of dollars literally thrown down the drain. And I'm no more qualified for any other position, so theoretically wouldn't be doing any better off than before I started vet school just with much greater mountains of debt to attempt to pay off. At least with the DVM that debt means something, and theoretically can net me a career with a slightly higher earning potential than before. Even if its now "solely for the paycheck", at least that paycheck might do a better job of cutting down that debt than my lab tech job did.

I both agree and disagree with this. Yes if you're not going to use your DVM, then by all means reduce the debt and don't finish. But if you're just having problems with vet school and already have 100K+ in loans?

I'm at a point now where there's no way I would drop out, even if I no longer felt the same passion for vet med as I did when I started. If I don't come out of this with a DVM, and then use said DVM, then that was tens of thousands of dollars literally thrown down the drain. And I'm no more qualified for any other position, so theoretically wouldn't be doing any better off than before I started vet school just with much greater mountains of debt to attempt to pay off. At least with the DVM that debt means something, and theoretically can net me a career with a slightly higher earning potential than before. Even if its now "solely for the paycheck", at least that paycheck might do a better job of cutting down that debt than my lab tech job did.

Yeah see this is what I was thinking but then pinkpuppy made some good points and now I don't know what to think lol

Sorta. Still a little confused.

Another thing to think about with extra debt. A lot of people think, oh my IS will cost $100k, my OOS $200k, it's $100k more. If I make $80k, I'll take home $50k. No prob, I'll live a frugal lifestyle and pay $25k per year on my loans. That's just 4 extra years.

It just doesn't work like that.

It's $100k extra plus ~7% per year of interest on that. Add to that all the interest from the 4 years of vet school that you've accrued that is capitalizing... So if your IS was $100k, and you take on $100k extra... your total debt will be closer to $240k by the time you start repaying it. That suddenly becomes $17k per year in interest alone. So if you're contributing $25k per year on your loans... You will only be able to pay $8k per year of your $240k principal. Nope, it won't be just 4 extra years.

And that's best case scenario where your OOS loan is only $50k per year, you find good employment with 80k salary, and you can live on 25k. It is not easy for people to spend $25k+ on their loans per year. Most people can't.

Obviously all of this is impossible for a lot of people. So if you go this route, you will be at the mercy of whatever government loan forgiveness plan that may or may not exist.

OH MY GOD! So if said person couldn't spend 17k/year on repayment then what they owe would go up, not down o.0

Yeah see this is what I was thinking but then pinkpuppy made some good points and now I don't know what to think lol

Sorta. Still a little confused.

OH MY GOD! So if said person couldn't spend 17k/year on repayment then what they owe would go up, not down o.0
Lol sorry, I feel like I can't word this well. It's a highly individual decision. Some people would rather take $100k of debt (say, 2 years OOS), and drop out and work in another field. Some people just push through even if they want to drop out. Then there are some that push through and still work in another field.

This is very interesting.. Thank you for your response! Can I ask, the year you reapplied and got into your IS school, did you also reapply to the school you were accepted the year prior? If so, what happened? Did your IS school that accepted you know about your previous acceptance and that you turned another school down? I always wonder this..

Nope, I only applied to my IS and one other that I wasn't accepted to (waitlisted) but was cheaper. I basically had to commit to not knowing if I would ever get in and risk it. It worked out for me. For someone I worked with at a clinic, it burned her and she eventually gave up.

It's not favourable, imo, to reapply to the school you turned down an acceptance to unless there's extenuating circumstances that caused you to decline the acceptance (and deferral wasn't an option).

Then there are some that push through and still work in another field.

I remember a few years ago on the veterinary forum there was a recently graduated DVM that decided to leave it all and go to pharmacy school.

Do pharmacists still make the good money they used to? I knew somebody who's parents were both pharmacists and pulling in like 100k/year each O_O But I don't know if that's typical.

Anyhoo, my hope for that person is that they make big bucks and will be able to live well despite paying back vet school and pharmacy school loans.

Nope, I only applied to my IS and one other that I wasn't accepted to (waitlisted) but was cheaper. I basically had to commit to not knowing if I would ever get in and risk it. It worked out for me. For someone I worked with at a clinic, it burned her and she eventually gave up.

It's not favourable, imo, to reapply to the school you turned down an acceptance to unless there's extenuating circumstances that caused you to decline the acceptance (and deferral wasn't an option).

Thank you for your response, I really appreciate it. So a coworker of yours had gotten accepted, declined, reapplied, then didn't every get in again? That's scary... Did the school you were accepted to (your IS), did they know, ask, or say anything about your acceptance the year prior?

Thank you for your response, I really appreciate it. So a coworker of yours had gotten accepted, declined, reapplied, then didn't every get in again? That's scary... Did the school you were accepted to (your IS), did they know, ask, or say anything about your acceptance the year prior?

They didn't know. It's more complicated because my "IS" is Canadian and they don't use VMCAS. The school that I declined was applied to through VMCAS. I'm not sure if VMCAS reports acceptances or not and if other schools would know the year after. I thought they knew where you applied but not if you were accepted? That would need to be confirmed.

My co-worker really wanted to attend our IS. She was accepted to another school (that was also cheap, she just didn't want to move), but declined. She continued to apply to only the IS again and again and eventually became frustrated by not getting in. So she decided to apply to both a couple times but was not accepted by either.

So a coworker of yours had gotten accepted, declined, reapplied, then didn't every get in again? That's scary...

Is this surprising though? There are so few veterinary schools and admissions are notoriously difficult...why would a school extend a second offer of admission to a person who turned down one the year before?

Is this surprising though? There are so few veterinary schools and admissions are notoriously difficult...why would a school extend a second offer of admission to a person who turned down one the year before?

I've heard it happen before that's why I asked.. People have even been offered admission after the person declining an interview as well.. However I personally would have applied to many more than just my IS.