Didn't get the internship I wanted. Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reirrac

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Even though I worked for this hospital for a couple of years, I did not get the intern position I wanted. It feels humiliating to see some of my classmates as interns and making way while I'm stuck as a tech. Should I cut my losses and look elsewhere for a hospital internship and bid my current employer farewell?

I remember the pharmacy manager mentioning how staying as a tech still has merit as hospital work experience and may help me secure a staff rph position or a residency. I do not know if his comment has any merit to it.

Advice? Pardon me while I down a bottle of scotch.

Members don't see this ad.

Stay at a tech until you find an internship. Find an internship soon. Apply everywhere. The longer you wait, the harder it will be.

Don't expect to find a pharmacist position without being an intern. Competition is already fierce and it is going to get worse.

When you're applying for a hospital internship, who do you contact if there is no job offer listed online? I've heard about two hospital internships through word of mouth but I want to apply to more hospitals in case those fall through.

Members don't see this ad :)
Update:
I have been scrambling and applying for internships everywhere in my area. Retail and independents did not seem to show interest. Fortunately there was another hospital that offered me an interview, and subsequently an internship offer. I guess it all worked out in the end, my destination was to work at a bigger pharmacy department closer to home.

I offered to staff at my current hospital for the summer, but that may come to an end when I start my 2nd year. I suppose this is the best way to end things amicably.