Didn't Match, What am I eligible to apply for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDin2014

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So as the title reads, I didn't match. I am doing a prelim Surgery intern now. What positions do I qualify for?
For example there are Radiology Categorical, advanced and "R" positions. I know "R" positions begin the same year and I would qualify to apply for it. What about categorical in Radiology? What would be the intern year be in? surgery or medicine? Also what other specialties do I qualify to apply in SOAP?

Members don't see this ad.

Take what you can get. Apply to resident only, advanced, and categorical programs. The downside of advanced is that you would have a gap year and the only downside of advanced is that you would have to repeat your internship. But worse things could happen.

Last edited:
So as the title reads, I didn't match. I am doing a prelim Surgery intern now. What positions do I qualify for?
For example there are Radiology Categorical, advanced and "R" positions. I know "R" positions begin the same year and I would qualify to apply for it. What about categorical in Radiology? What would be the intern year be in? surgery or medicine? Also what other specialties do I qualify to apply in SOAP?

If you are already in a prelim I don't think you'd need to do another prelim to go into something advanced -- you just have a year to kill. Unless your goal is something that specifically requires a medicine prelim (like neuro).

Reactions: 1 user
If you are already in a prelim I don't think you'd need to do another prelim to go into something advanced -- you just have a year to kill. Unless your goal is something that specifically requires a medicine prelim (like neuro).
Other than neuro any other specialty that absolutely requires non surgical prelim?

Other than neuro any other specialty that absolutely requires non surgical prelim?

Tough question to answer. I would ask the question to every specific specialties forum to get a quick response. I do know that Neurology requires it. Not sure about the others

Tough question to answer. I would ask the question to every specific specialties forum to get a quick response. I do know that Neurology requires it. Not sure about the others
It's actually a very easy question to answer. Neurology is the only advanced specialty that requires an IM prelim year (or a TY w/ the appropriate # of IM rotations if you can find one).

It's actually a very easy question to answer. Neurology is the only advanced specialty that requires an IM prelim year (or a TY w/ the appropriate # of IM rotations if you can find one).

Well...it's very easy if you know! Thanks

What are "M" positions in Emergency Medicine?

Wait I applied to match into a categorical position as a prelim intern and was willing to repeat the intern year in the main match. Why would that be a violation in the SOAP?

Speaking of violations I have 3 quick questions:
1. Can I call the programs that I have applied to in the SOAP or others not in the SOAP and express interest?
2. Can I have my mentors or advocates call on my behalf to vouch for me at programs that have interviewed me in SOAP?
3. Can I send thank you notes and express desire to match at the programs that have interviewed me in the SOAP?

TIA

Last edited:
Wait I applied to match into a categorical position as a prim intern and was willing to repeat the intern year in the main match. Why would that be a violation in the SOAP?

1. Can I call the programs that I have applied to in the SOAP or others not in the SOAP and express interest?
2. Can I have my mentors or advocates call on my behalf to vouch for me at programs that have interviewed me in SOAP?
3. Can I send thank you notes and express desire to match at the programs that have interviewed me in the SOAP?

TIA
1)it is a violation to contact programs you applied to in SOAP or to have any contact with any not in SOAP during the SOAP process
2)It is a violation for others to contact programs on your behalf
3) not sure

Wait I applied to match into a categorical position as a prelim intern and was willing to repeat the intern year in the main match. Why would that be a violation in the SOAP?

TIA

As answered above:

1) No
2) No
3) Yes, once they contact you, it's fair game. I've had two interviews so far and both urged me to contact them if I had any questions. I made sure to send thank you emails to both after I had researched their programs more and had a substantial piece of info or two to ask about in order to further show my interest. I obviously don't know if it worked...get back to me tomorrow at noon, but we're in deep right now. Time to be super nice to everyone and hope for the best.

TIA

It's too late now most likely, but in the case that someone reads this thread next year:

1. You cannot contact any programs in the SOAP until after they have initiated contact with you. Nor can anyone else on your behalf. But once you get a call or email, even if it was a missed call, the door is thrown wide open and all communication and contact becomes legal.

2. Per the above, yes. Once you are interviewed, or otherwise contacted, people can call the program on your behalf.

3. Yes, and you absolutely 100% without a doubt should. These programs are just as worried about not filing as you are about not getting a position. If they feel confident you would accept their offer that may be the thing that bumps you ahead of someone else that isn't as committed to them.