Didn't Show Up for Drop-Off Class for CVS Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soukig

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short,

I was pretty sure I had a drop-off class to attend on Sunday which was why I told my boss that I couldn't work at all that day due to the drop off class. I had remembered on the top of my head that it was that very day, but was confused as to what time it was, seeing I didn't write it down at all. I checked online the night before and two hours before class and saw I wasn't enrolled. I tried calling my Field Colleague Trainer hours before the class started to see if there was class today, and no response. I got a call from my boss hours after asking if I made it to Drop-Off to which I replied "No" and I told him my reason. Turns out my Field Colleague Trainer called looking for me, and there was class that day. I'm just wondering will I get in trouble if I didn't show up. Or will I get penalized?

Members don't see this ad.

I just had a tech miss a class for the first time in my career at CVS. I was instructed to write him up and of course he had to make up the class. IMO there is basically no excuse to miss class short of death/illness/event outside of your control. Not writing down the time? I can't even.

You have to take classes to work at CVS?

Members don't see this ad :)
You most likely won't get penalized or punished. The district just has a quota to fill, in terms of having its new employees done with training under a set time frame. Doesn't look too good since you admitted there was no excuses so you might lose some credibility points and might be viewed a slacker for now by your boss. But it's fine I think you have 90 days or something to do everything and they will put you on the next available training day.

You most likely won't get penalized or punished. The district just has a quota to fill, in terms of having its new employees done with training under a set time frame. Doesn't look too good since you admitted there was no excuses so you might lose some credibility points and might be viewed a slacker for now by your boss. But it's fine I think you have 90 days or something to do everything and they will put you on the next available training day.
Yeah this is my last class for the training needed. I've done pick up, production, and inventory in a timely manner. This last class was the only class I had not attended. :T

Don't sweat it, learning on the job is the way to go. :bow:

These classes aren't on the job? A regular class with videos or something? I didn't think CVS did any formal training. Why do people say they were just thrown in and forced to sink or swim?

You have to take classes to work at CVS?
How else do you learn to count by five?

OP you definitely should've written down the time but the fact that you called your trainer multiple times should get you out of the real hot heat. I wouldn't recommend repeating that as you'll have to work with ALL of these people in the future and your life will be easier if they like you. Good luck

These classes aren't on the job? A regular class with videos or something? I didn't think CVS did any formal training. Why do people say they were just thrown in and forced to sink or swim?

Because in these classes you count m&ms on a tray lol. Not exactly the retail trenches.

Whether actual training is provided probably depends on the district.

Thank you. The next time I have a bad day at work I will remind myself that there is a person who is employed to teach "drop off class" for CVS and I will immediately feel grateful for my life.

Reactions: 1 user

Most of those classes are nothing to do with actual work. They're company policy, LP, benefits, etc.

There are a couple classes that teach you the basics of drop off with various insurance plans and another one for the workflow at production (dispensing)

Because in these classes you count m&ms on a tray lol. Not exactly the retail trenches.

lol, I forgot about that. We counted Altoids and Smarties

When I was hired as an intern, I had to reschedule one of my classes to a later date. The scheduler told me I was all set. I get a text from my PIC after the original scheduled class and he said his supervisor asked why I was a no call/no show. The scheduler never told the original class instructors that I was rescheduled. The intern coordinator wrote a nasty email to the pharmacy supervisor to ask if I should be written up or whatever (my PIC showed me) and everyone in the pharmacy thought I skipped it. It just looked really bad and it wasn't my fault, I was pissed. I explained to everyone what happened and the intern coordinator replied, "Oh don't worry about it, it's not a big deal at all!". So fake.

A few months later after I graduated and went to new grad orientation, they showed us our transcripts and that original class had a no call/no show listed on my record. Oh well, it's been almost 2 years now and I'm still a CVS pharmacist. So it's not like you'll get fired.

Reactions: 1 user
OJT is separate from classroom training. And OJ T is not done at your home store and usually the people come back knowing nothing more than they did before the OJT.

People say they have to sink or swim because the classroom learning is so irrelevant/ unhelpful. Strictly speaking the cvs training is pretty comprehensive but it somehow produces technicians that don't know how to do anything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile app

When I was hired as an intern, I had to reschedule one of my classes to a later date. The scheduler told me I was all set. I get a text from my PIC after the original scheduled class and he said his supervisor asked why I was a no call/no show. The scheduler never told the original class instructors that I was rescheduled. The intern coordinator wrote a nasty email to the pharmacy supervisor to ask if I should be written up or whatever (my PIC showed me) and everyone in the pharmacy thought I skipped it. It just looked really bad and it wasn't my fault, I was pissed. I explained to everyone what happened and the intern coordinator replied, "Oh don't worry about it, it's not a big deal at all!". So fake.

A few months later after I graduated and went to new grad orientation, they showed us our transcripts and that original class had a no call/no show listed on my record. Oh well, it's been almost 2 years now and I'm still a CVS pharmacist. So it's not like you'll get fired.
This sounds so much like my intern experience, so many miscommunications between various stakeholders. Lame.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile app