Diff. Diagnosis Practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cooper1186

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's everyone's input? SAH? :idea:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My ddx would include TIA, vasovagal syncope, SAH, ICH, arrhythmia

My ddx would include TIA, vasovagal syncope, SAH, ICH, arrhythmia

This, plus a tumor (posterior fossa?).
My #1 Dx is probably a ruptured aneurysm as the cause of the SAH, not trauma. Especially because of the following:
-Current high BP
-Extremely high risk of atherosclerosis and CV disease (HTN, DM, etc. in both history AND family history)
-Recent cessation of BP meds

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Why doesn't this guy already have a head CT?

Sh.t, you cough funny in my ED and you get both a PE protocol CT and a head CT.

My working dx would be ruptured aneurysm - because of current HTN, history of HTN, and PCKD.
DDX vasovagal syncope, TIA

I'd throw situational syncope in there. Sits on the crapper, strains, drops his pre-load and syncopes.

I would probably syncope myself if I ever picked up a pt file with all that info but no ECG or head CT

#1 R/o Dx HAS to be a SAH d/t ruptured berry aneurysm. If you miss this, patient dies.
Reasons:
Hx of Polycystic Kidney Dz
High BP + Not on BP meds
Neck Pain + TTP posteriorly without evidence of trauma
"Headaches intermittently, has not seen a neurologist. This headache is different."

DDx includes - TIA (FHx of CVA + Pt's BP), Vasovagal, situational syncope (as VT said), Maybe a tumor (idk if I would include that on an official list).

For practice, that's what you do. In real life someone would come in with syncope + head pain, get a head CT to r/o a bleed in the ED, then go on with rest of the workup.

0246.wall%2520of%2520text.png-610x0.png