MPH difference between programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polylux

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any difference between getting an MPH at say, UNECOM vs USC vs UC Berkeley vs JHU?

I understand there is a difference in name recognition, but if the plan is to get an MD/DO degree as well as an MPH degree, will the school you got the MPH from matter much to employers or will it just matter that you have one?

Members don't see this ad.

The name of the school on your resume can certainly help, but it's far more important what you do at those schools. For instance, if you wanted to do infectious diseases, Hopkins would be perfect b/c they're among the top in infectious disease and public health research. If you work with professors there, take the time to network, etc, then going to the better school is important. If you're doing the MPH just to have 3 letters after your name, I wouldn't do the MPH. You want to have a very clear reason for doing it; what do you need the MPH for that you can't learn outside the classroom?

Reactions: 1 user
It may also depend on location of where you apply for a job at. And obviously your ability to show an employer/recruiter that you are the best candidate for the job. For the location, I know a girl who got her undergrad and MPH at UofM and she found jobs easily at Sparrow Hospital in Lansing and the University of Michigan hospital in Ann Arbor as the head epidemiologist (or at least one of the higher ups). Had she applied for a job at a hospital in California she may have been passed up by those who graduated from UCLA or Cal-Berkley's MPH programs simply because those hospitals have good connections with the faculty at the public health schools.
If you are not familiar with the MPH programs and are looking for an MD/MPH program you should make sure you are going down the MPH part because you think it will help you, not just because you want another title after Dr.____.

I'm interested in it for the healthcare administration classes that MPH's typically offer. As I see it, an MHA, an MBA, and an MPH would all suit my goals. Hence why I come here for more information. Thanks for the replies.