Difference between stereotype and halo effect

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DingDongD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what is the difference between stereotypes and halo effect?

Members don't see this ad.

I search Google Images whenever I need help with terms. Searching "halo effect stereotype" gave me this answer that I'm rephrasing:

Stereotype= (1) you see somebody, (2) assign them to a broad group, (3) you assign attributes based upon group

Halo effect= (1) you see somebody, (2) you focus on one attribute about them, (3) you assign other attributes based upon previous attribute
(ex. I see a man/woman; they are a doctor; they must be smart, a good person, etc.)

Stereotypes are thoughts and beliefs that we have about other people on the basis of limited information. When forming stereotypes, we often compare others to us which then informs our thoughts eg. paternalistic stereotypes, admiration stereotypes, contemptuous stereotypes, envious stereotypes. Stereotypes can be positive or negative and mainly focus on group level.

Halo effect is when we always view someone with the halo on their head - we think that the person is good and no matter what, they can never do anything wrong. This means we tend to look at the person in a positive light. This applies to looking at single individuals.