Difference in Public Health Concentrations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Han_Solo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Applying to some Public Health programs for this coming fall and I've seen a few different concentrations.
Currently I'll be graduating with a B.S in Health Administration.

I was just wondering what the difference between a Masters in Public Health Practice and Masters in Public Health, Health Services Administration? Biostatistics, Epidemiology, Health Promotion, etc.. I know the differences and what those programs entail. But I'm stuck on choosing between a M.P.H in Practice and Health Services Administration.

What I want to do is become a leader/administrator in the public health sector either the government, hospitals, make decisions, etc..

What are the differences? Is an MPH degree and MPH degree? Does a concentration really impact the MPH degree? Whats the best fit? What would employers look for more?

Im applying to University of Arizona, Wayne State University, Colorado, and University of Nebraska. All of which have Masters in Public Health Practice, and some have a concentration in Health Services Admin.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure I recognize those degrees you mention (are they school specific?) but I'm general as a broad rule of thumb, I would say:

MHA most appropriate for hospital administration

MPH more general (see why below), you can certainly focus in health policy or health services management or similar and be taken seriously in either field if you go to a strong program and get good experience under your belt. Employers generally care most about relevant experience, maybe a little about which school, least about grades, degree name, etc.

Other reasonable alternatives:
MPA appropriate for government jobs
MPP appropriate for policy etc

Accredited schools must teach (and require you to take) a core of public health competences regardless of your concentration; you choose electives and your thesis/capstone/practicum tailored to the career you target.

Good luck

Mb

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure I recognize those degrees you mention (are they school specific?) but I'm general as a broad rule of thumb, I would say:

MHA most appropriate for hospital administration

MPH more general (see why below), you can certainly focus in health policy or health services management or similar and be taken seriously in either field if you go to a strong program and get good experience under your belt. Employers generally care most about relevant experience, maybe a little about which school, least about grades, degree name, etc.

Other reasonable alternatives:
MPA appropriate for government jobs
MPP appropriate for policy etc

Accredited schools must teach (and require you to take) a core of public health competences regardless of your concentration; you choose electives and your thesis/capstone/practicum tailored to the career you target.

Good luck

Mb
Thanks for the reply, well I'm really set on University of Arizona's Masters of Public Health with the Health Services Administration concentration. The school and program is accredited by the CEPH. the core public health competences are provided, so currently they are my top choice.
As you see below this is how the program is laid out. The required GPA is a 3.0, and the advisor said they are going to waive my GRE. Im going to end up graduating with my Bachelors in Health Administration within the 3.6-3.7 range. I have some experience for a 22 year old ( currently a paid Internship in Disaster Preparedness at public health county level, worked in a hospital cafeteria, volunteered at the health center on our campus) I mean do you think I have a good chance of getting in as well? Do you believe that this is a good route to take? I really want to be a leader/administrator in the public health sector. So I just want to make sure I'm taking the right steps.

Also I plan on working while going to graduate school (don't worry I'm use to taking classes and working) that way I have experience from my current internship, a relevant job, and the internship the MPH program wants me to undergo. I also have intentions of joining the Peace Corps after I graduate with my MPH. So hopefully that hits the experience under the belt .
Required Core Courses (15 units)
Required Health Services Administration Courses (21 units)
Required Health Services Administration Internship (6 units)
  • CPH 909 Master's Report "Internship" (6)

Last edited: