Different Residency on TMDSAS vs AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Marcion

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm currently trying to figure out if I messed my applications up in some way.

So, here's the story - nontrad applicant, been doing graduate school then a post-bacc in IL the last 4 years. Previously, lived in TX my entire life up through undergrad. Technically, I meet the requirements to be a resident of TX as I am not currently supporting myself and my resident parents claimed me as a dependent on this year's tax return. However, my Driver's Licence, voting registration, and personal tax returns are all with IL. However, I do not meet the requirements for in-state admissions in IL as I have not had a full-time job here due to school.

I have been told here that listing a TX legal address on the AMCAS can be the touch of death for applying to non-TX schools, given their affordability and preference for IS applicants. At the same time, that preference means that applying to TX more or less necessitates a TX legal address. So I am sort of in limbo, especially since I'm not sure how well the TX residency would hold up if they wanted to make an issue of it; I've previously filed independent tax returns in IL.

I decided that, to maximize my chances, I would use my parents' address on the TMDSAS and my current living address in IL on the AMCAS for legal residency. I have decent but not airtight claims to both. Recently, however, I was informed that this could hurt me as both AMCAS and TMDSAS share information on legal residency. I was under the impression that, as separate application systems, the two do not communicate much of anything - which is why TMDSAS asks you to list the AMCAS schools you're applying to, for example. Neither application has been verified as of yet so I can still change my residency if necessary. Does anyone here know anything that could help me sort out which, if either, of my applications I should change? Does anyone know if there's someone I could talk to to try to ascertain how much Texas state residency impacts OOS admissions decisions, or if strong state ties could make up for listing an OOS address on TMDSAS? Does anyone know more about how TMDSAS verifies residency other than the checklist they have on the application?

Thanks all

Members don't see this ad.

1) That looks to be the residency affidavit for establishing Residency Through High School Graduation. I can't claim this, so I would not sign this form and therefore would not be perjuring myself. Instead I can claim option 2, "Residency by Establishing Domicile". There seems to be a separate process for certifying residency in this way; I was told by TMDSAS I'd need to submit them my and my parents' last tax returns. I'm a resident of TX only through option 2, which doesn't require me to be physically present.

2) Is it subversion to report on AMCAS that the state my DL, voting registration, and last tax return are in is my state of residency? IDK. I guess I'll have to call them and check.

I do have valid claims to residency in both states depending on what criteria are used.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same situation and doing the same thing like you do. Will you let me know if you figure out any addition info?

Yes you have claims for both, but it may be considered subverting the system by trying to claim both at the same time for similar processes. You should simply use your Texas residency and apply to AMCAS with that. The private schools dont care for the most part

Just out of curiosity, you CANT claim both residency at the same time? Like you have to choose and be one?

I'm in the same situation and doing the same thing like you do. Will you let me know if you figure out any addition info?
I called AMCAS and TMDSAS today.

1) I told TMDSAS about previous independent tax filings etc and they made it sound like it would not matter that much. They said I should not list different things on the two apps but also said they do not communicate with AMCAS.
2)I asked AMCAS about the legal residency situation and they basically told me it was my choice. They sounded unenthusiastic about listing different things on two apps and mentioned that TMDSAS can receive materials if they request them.

As of now I'm leaning towards using TX residency on both, if I'm looking to turn down the cheap tuition it would only be because I got into one of my dream schools like U Chicago or Columbia. The only gray zone is Loyola, they have an environmental health program that is relevant to my interests, and I have connections with some faculty there, but IDK if they are top tier enough to be able to offer me much.

Reactions: 1 user
I called AMCAS and TMDSAS today.

1) I told TMDSAS about previous independent tax filings etc and they made it sound like it would not matter that much. They said I should not list different things on the two apps but also said they do not communicate with AMCAS.
2)I asked AMCAS about the legal residency situation and they basically told me it was my choice. They sounded unenthusiastic about listing different things on two apps and mentioned that TMDSAS can receive materials if they request them.

As of now I'm leaning towards using TX residency on both, if I'm looking to turn down the cheap tuition it would only be because I got into one of my dream schools like U Chicago or Columbia. The only gray zone is Loyola, they have an environmental health program that is relevant to my interests, and I have connections with some faculty there, but IDK if they are top tier enough to be able to offer me much.

Any update onto the end result of this??? Please let me know soon as I hope to do the same!