Different Types of White Coats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elixir86

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a ridiculous question, but I wanted your opinions on the following two types of white lab coats that are offered to residents at my future institution. In particular, is one kind better than the other (i.e., do buttons fall off easier, is one more comfortable, does one kind have bigger pockets, etc)?

(1) 100% Cotton Lab Coats with Cloth Buttons: This full length lab coat has five cloth-knot buttons and sewn down back over pleats. Three patch pockets and side hand access.

(2) Poly Cotton Twill Lab Coat with Regular Buttons: This full length, five button lab coat has side hand access plus three front pockets and a belted back stitched over pleats.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry if this is a ridiculous question, but I wanted your opinions on the following two types of white lab coats that are offered to residents at my future institution. In particular, is one kind better than the other (i.e., do buttons fall off easier, is one more comfortable, does one kind have bigger pockets, etc)?

(1) 100% Cotton Lab Coats with Cloth Buttons: This full length lab coat has five cloth-knot buttons and sewn down back over pleats. Three patch pockets and side hand access.

(2) Poly Cotton Twill Lab Coat with Regular Buttons: This full length, five button lab coat has side hand access plus three front pockets and a belted back stitched over pleats.

Scrubs

Members don't see this ad :)
Cloth knot buttons just seem weird to me, but then again I've never had them.

I'd personally go with the 2nd coat. At least I know how to fix that kind of button if it breaks.

All the doctors at Penn wear the cloth button cotton coats, they are awesome. I have one too, they feel really nice.

The most important thing is having pockets that fit whatever it is you typically carry around. So, if you like to carry an iPad, pick the one with pockets that fit it. I *really* like having an inside pocket for ID, money, meal cards and other stuff like that. Unfortunately, I had to sew my own pockets on the inside. Our pockets aren't big enough for an iPad either.

Who cares what the coat is made of?

Pure cotton soaks up blood quickly. Polyester w/ cotton is less absorbent. But that also means it doesnt allow your sweat to pass through. In the northeast, during winters, they keep hospitals warm for the old pts. Polyester coats are terrible when the heat is turned on.

(side note: when interviewing, how can you tell what a hospital's pt population is? By seeing how hot the hospital is. The hotter the hospital, the more elderly the pt pop.)