Difficult to find a job in Southern California..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Other medical specialties keep the numbers of graduating residents under tight control to maintain the hot job market
examples include ophthalmology and dermatology.

Members don't see this ad.

The UC's start at 160, 195 with call for clinical instructors. Kaiser starts you per diem at 120 an hour, no benefits. You also need 2 nannies with anesthesiologists hours, and the current rate in desirable areas is 60-70k for a non molester. Why so much for a nanny? remember you are competing with the rich for decent child care. Throw in the cost of eating out, dog walkers, gardeners, pool maintenance, housekeeping, gas, it is almost a wash.

no one believes you because you are freakin clueless man. There are no UC attendings that are making 195. Kaiser full time employees are competitive with most PP in the state and have better benefits than any other place. No one is asking about per diem work here.

Reactions: 1 user
Other medical specialties keep the numbers of graduating residents under tight control to maintain the hot job market
examples include ophthalmology and dermatology.
And they did not have a massive influx of CRNAs.

Anesthesia residency spots should decrease to 75% or less of 2007 levels. It's obvious even to the stupidest that the ACT model is here to stay. That means that we will need at most half the anesthesiologists we used to need for solo practice.

Also this won't change as long as there is an influx of suckers into the field. So dear recent and future grads, you are all fracked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am amazed by the strange uneconomic behavior of physicians when it comes to locating their careers and this is especially true of this California mania so prevalent on this message board.

There's more to life than money. People who live in places like San Diego and Hawaii accept the higher cost of living and call it a paradise tax. Lots of things people buy don't make perfect sound financial sense. I paid $9 for a sandwich today. Maybe you'd have put it in a SEP-IRA, but I was hungry.

Southern California is a polluted, expensive, crime ridden, congested tax hell and yet so many of you want to live in that dump.

It's an expensive congested tax hell, I'll give you that, but it's certainly NOT universally polluted and crime ridden. I couldn't tolerate the traffic and the crowds, so it's not for me, but parts of San Diego are really, really nice.

Reactions: 4 users
Anesthesia residency spots should decrease to 75% or less of 2007 levels. It's obvious even to the stupidest that the ACT model is here to stay. That means that we will need at most half the anesthesiologists we used to need for solo practice.

What percentage of anesthesiologists currently practice in an MD only setting? I'm betting well under 1/2. What is the predicted rise in need for anesthesia services going forward compared to 2007 levels? I know our hospital grows anesthesia case volume by about 5% per year and that hasn't slowed down for 2 decades and running. With a continual increase in population in our country, that volume will continue to expand.

Seems to me that even if the country was 100% ACT model, we'd still need more residency spots in the future to simply keep up with increased demand for services.

Seems to me that even if the country was 100% ACT model, we'd still need more residency spots in the future to simply keep up with increased demand for services.
The market doesn't really indicate so. If there were a true shortage of anesthesiologists, almost all non-academic ones would be partners. Like it used to be, remember?

There is an artificial "shortage", as in some practices would prefer having anesthesiologists instead of some of their current CRNAs, but at the same cost as the latter.

I will not believe in any shortage while 90+% of us have to fight to get a good job, instead of being recruited for one. There aren't that many undesirables in anesthesia.

If I were a young kid today, I wouldn't go into medicine. If I were a fresh medical grad starting a futureless residency, I would seriously consider planning for an MBA.

Sorry for another off-topic.

With a continual increase in population in our country, that volume will continue to expand.

That makes sense to me, too, and it's encouraging.

But then I think that the big picture is that the country is bankrupt. We've moved some shells since the 2008 crash, but our public debt is worse than ever. Increased demand for services has to be accompanied by increased funding to pay for those services, else there will have to be some form of rationing. If that's the case, will it matter that demand increases, if there's no money to pay for it? That's a discouraging thought.

I have no idea what the future holds.

no one believes you because you are freakin clueless man. There are no UC attendings that are making 195. Kaiser full time employees are competitive with most PP in the state and have better benefits than any other place. No one is asking about per diem work here.
Kaiser does not hire full time in desirable Cal areas. You will need to work there per diem several years with no guarantee to get a salaried position. I did exaggerate the hourly rate it is actually $115 an hour. UCSD starts their instructors at 195, with benefits. If you can get a gig at $30 per unit, your buy in will be several hundred thousand dollars and after expenses, your W-2 will be $200-250k after benefits and expenses, with call, working 50-55 hours per week. Any better payor mix will be tough to get as most lucrative practices have closed down equity tracks and you will be a permanent employee. But please, prove me clueless. Someone please for God's sake show me a post of a decent Cali job. Sort of like a unicorn, everyone claims to know someone who has seen one, but no one can produce a picture.

polluted and crime ridden?

Has he been to Irvine?

Kaiser does not hire full time in desirable Cal areas. You will need to work there per diem several years with no guarantee to get a salaried position. I did exaggerate the hourly rate it is actually $115 an hour. UCSD starts their instructors at 195, with benefits. If you can get a gig at $30 per unit, your buy in will be several hundred thousand dollars and after expenses, your W-2 will be $200-250k after benefits and expenses, with call, working 50-55 hours per week. Any better payor mix will be tough to get as most lucrative practices have closed down equity tracks and you will be a permanent employee. But please, prove me clueless. Someone please for God's sake show me a post of a decent Cali job. Sort of like a unicorn, everyone claims to know someone who has seen one, but no one can produce a picture.

What you say about Kaiser is pretty much true. You're UCSD numbers are correct too for brand newbies but my friend and former mentor at UCSD who has been there for 6 or 7 years makes around 315. Keep in mind that doesn't include bennies and it's working 4 clinical days per week with minimal non-clinical expectations. The PP groups in SD (mine included) have no financial buy-in and are structured very fairly. The premier groups in OC I am familiar with have no "employee" positions. You are either a partner or on the track and they do not cut people loose just before partner like many of the shadier groups a little further north. One of those OC groups doesn't have any buy-in either. I'll freely admit that those groups rarely hire and when they do it's always someone with connections to current partners.

If you don't like Cali, that's fine. Please leave. I'll admit we do have too many people here as it is. I would say that if you have no ties to the area and don't really enjoy ocean based activities, it does make more sense not to live here. But, we do have the best weather in the country, we have essentially no bugs to ruin your BBQ's, we have good waves, decent to occasionally great fishing, and skiing/boarding just 2hrs away (5.5 hrs to world class skiing/boarding.) Oh, and the Cal Coastal Commission (bless their tree hugging hearts) has actually done an exceptional job of maintaining coastal access for the public throughout the state. Compare that to places like NJ where they actually made it illegal to towel change for Christ's sake in an effort to keep surfers away.

I seriously looked at leaving SoCal after residency. Looked hard at CO and the PNW. Interviewed with some groups there. Believe it or not, pay was similar across the 3 regions with the exception of the coastal PNW which was actually significanlty lower than even SoCal. In the end, I'm happy with my decision to stay. I'll keep getting in those early morning sesh's at Black's on scheduled late start days, I'll keep driving back from the beach in shorts and sandals in January before driving to Mammoth for a weekend of boarding. I don't wanna spend my life just looking forward to my next vacation. Take periopdoc's advice and live where others vacation.

Reactions: 3 users
The market doesn't really indicate so. If there were a true shortage of anesthesiologists, almost all non-academic ones would be partners. Like it used to be, remember?

I didn't say we have a current shortage, I said going into the future. I mean there will be more anesthetics delivered in the country in 2015 than in 2014, even more in 2016, and so on. The demand is going up, not down, because the population is expanding and we get involved in more types of procedures every year.

The number has been going up for years, and look where we are now. I think we are fooling ourselves if we think that the future will be significantly better, as long as the supply of anesthesiologists stays the same and the supply of CRNAs continues to increase. I don't see the demand overwhelming the supply anytime in the next ten years.

What I see is just the opposite: tightening of CMS and insurance reimbursements for anesthesia, especially once we get to single reimbursements for the entire hospital care based on the surgical diagnosis/procedure, and getting treated not like a profit center, but a cost center, by ACOs. I can also see a future where there will be much fewer endoscopies, cataract surgeries etc. that will be reimbursed for MAC (either by the insurers or by the ACOs), meaning an even bigger supply of anesthesia providers, similar to the influx we just had from pain docs switching back to OR anesthesia.

What we'll see will be more independent CRNA practice, more lax supervision and less direction (especially as regional anesthesia becomes more popular), more firefighter and paper monkey positions, more out-of-the-OR periop positions, less pay and more crap. At least that's what I would want if I were a bean counter.

UC compensation is public data. Look up some faculty members. See for yourself. And you can make significantly more in PP.

https://ucannualwage.ucop.edu/wage/

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The number has been going up for years, and look where we are now. I think we are fooling ourselves if we think that the future will be significantly better, as long as the supply of anesthesiologists stays the same and the supply of CRNAs continues to increase. I don't see the demand overwhelming the supply anytime in the next ten years.

Has anybody anywhere ever suggested "the future will be significantly better"? Of course not. I just don't think the end of world is coming. There will continue to be an increase in the number of anesthetics delivered. There will continue to be anesthesiologists part of those cases (even in opt out states). That's just the way it is. Now if your life goal is to be an anesthesiologist in a 60 bed hospital with 3 ORs, well maybe things won't work out so well for you in the future.

Reactions: 1 users
So why are jobs so difficult to find in South Cali, if not because of independent CRNAs, which significantly increased the number of cheap anesthesia providers? There's your shining future. Coming soon to an OR near you

I actually had a rebuttal to all of Gaseous Clay, Salty Dog, and Nimbus's points, but I'm too tired to debate what to me is an uncertain truth based on first hand experiences. For those who think there are good jobs to be had in Cali, and that the pay cut, if any, is well worth it, more power to you. Knock yourself out and go ahead and join those well paying academic departments and PP groups, and have fun surfing during all your time off.​

Ok kilvinsky, so just to recap you're gonna make an unsubstantiated blanket statement like "there are no good jobs in Cali" and then when you are presented with specific concrete examples to the contrary by multiple anesthesiologist actually practicing in SoCal you're response is "I still don't think so but I'm too lazy to post my reasons" . . . WEAK dude. If your skill and attitutde on this board are at all reflective of your skill and attitude in the OR then I think it's pretty easy to see why you're having a hard time finding a good job in SoCal.

The truth is this:

Will you find higher unit values in other parts of the country? YES

Will you find lower cost of living in other parts of the country? ABSOLUTELY

Are there quality jobs in SoCal that pay above median rates? YES, and they are MD only practices.

Is the market dominated by AMC's or 4:1 chart monkey gigs? NOPE

In the end you just have to decide what's important to you and what you want. Me, I'm happy to work a few more years till I retire in exchange for for being able to enjoy the things I mentioned earlier on a daily basis.

Me, I'm happy to work a few more years till I retire in exchange for for being able to enjoy the things I mentioned earlier on a daily basis.
Both of you might be right. You know why? Because, for more recent grads, the market is worse everywhere. They are just being taken advantage of.

When was the last time you had to change your job, SaltyDog?

Ok kilvinsky, so just to recap you're gonna make an unsubstantiated blanket statement like "there are no good jobs in Cali" and then when you are presented with specific concrete examples to the contrary by multiple anesthesiologist actually practicing in SoCal you're response is "I still don't think so but I'm too lazy to post my reasons" . . . WEAK dude. If your skill and attitutde on this board are at all reflective of your skill and attitude in the OR then I think it's pretty easy to see why you're having a hard time finding a good job in SoCal.[/QUOTE

Man, I am really getting sick of being called names for pointing out something that is as plain as day, then getting called weak when I don't feel like arguing about things that are self evident. The only concrete example posted of someone finding a decent job in Cali is you, and frankly, your unit value ain't nothing to brag about. And btw, ASMG gets hundreds of applications for a handful of spots every year. Frankly, most of these guys will get their resume ****canned on the first go around, and the lucky few that make it in will end up at hospitals in less desirable areas. Two of the "premier" OC groups that just merged also closed down their partnerships tracks, and the Newport and Mission groups only hire people they know from a limited number of programs. The U of CA pays their CRNA's more than junior attendings. You might be able to scratch 300 after being there 20 years and fighting over call like a hungry dog, but then you can forget about having time to surf during the weekday. For the record, there may be a few good jobs in Calii, but schmoes like the OP don't have a shot in the world at them. Rather, the OP will end up making 30 bucks a unit, taking care of Medi-medi patients in poorer areas.

Not sure why people think I am bashing on California either. The people are nice, the weather is great, the cultural amenities are great, although the water is a little cold frankly. Aside from Hawaii, there is no place I love more, but the high cost of living combined with low reimbursements make it an AWFUL place to practice anesthesiology. You will not be living anywhere near the beach if you care about school districts. You will be driving to the beach, and fighting for parking with all the other inlanders. Your house will be a 2800 square foot million dollar tract house, of which the mortgage eats up half your take home. Your property taxes will be 5 times what your little old lady neighbor is paying due to prop 13, and income taxes and gas taxes will silently steal the rest of your income. You don't just take a little hit for living in Cali. It costs MIlLIONs over a lifetime. One more thing, other places have waves and sunshine too, without the taxation, high cost of living, and poor reimbursements.

Last edited:
So why are jobs so difficult to find in South Cali, if not because of independent CRNAs, which significantly increased the number of cheap anesthesia providers? There's your shining future. Coming soon to an OR near you.

In the era of safe anesthetics (we are safer than the airline industry), keep convincing yourself that the bean counters will keep some of us around forever. No, as time will pass, they will become more and more convinced that it takes special effort to kill a patient with modern anesthesia, and it's enough to have 1-2 firefighter anesthesiologists available for those rare cases.

We have made anesthesia so safe that even stupid people can practice it. Remember all those highly paid pilots from 20 years ago? That's us today.

That's a bit too much. This is still a specialty where people die in minutes. Not to mention that patients are fatter and sicker than ever. Even the cheapest, dumbest administrative bastard that I have worked with knows the difference between us and the carinas. They just don't want to pay up for the difference. They do want as few of us as they think they need.

Ok kilvinsky, so just to recap you're gonna make an unsubstantiated blanket statement like "there are no good jobs in Cali" and then when you are presented with specific concrete examples to the contrary by multiple anesthesiologist actually practicing in SoCal you're response is "I still don't think so but I'm too lazy to post my reasons" . . . WEAK dude. If your skill and attitutde on this board are at all reflective of your skill and attitude in the OR then I think it's pretty easy to see why you're having a hard time finding a good job in SoCal.
Man, I am really getting sick of being called names for pointing out something that is as plain as day, then getting called weak when I don't feel like arguing about things that are self evident. The only concrete example posted of someone finding a decent job in Cali is you, and frankly, your unit value ain't nothing to brag about. And btw, ASMG gets hundreds of applications for a handful of spots every year. Frankly, most of these guys will get their resume ****canned on the first go around, and the lucky few that make it in will end up at hospitals in less desirable areas. Two of the "premier" OC groups that just merged also closed down their partnerships tracks, and the Newport and Mission groups only hire people they know from a limited number of programs. The U of CA pays their CRNA's more than junior attendings. You might be able to scratch 300 after being there 20 years and fighting over call like a hungry dog, but then you can forget about having time to surf during the weekday. For the record, there may be a few good jobs in Cali, but schmoes like the OP don't have a shot in the world at them. Rather, the OP will end up making 30 bucks a unit, taking care of Medi-medi patients in poorer areas.

Why the crappy job market in California? Educated populace and lots of docs raised here and want to move back to be with Mom and Dad. This in turn leads to a high supply of MD's. A high penetrance of managed care, very poor Medicaid reimbursement, lots of internet millionaires driving up demand for homes and sending MD's back to middle class neighborhoods and lifestyles, soak the "rich" taxation philosophy propagated by the leg and governor. You name it. I do like California, but unlike others on this forum, my affection for the state isn't unqualified.

Last edited:
Why the crappy job market in California? Educated populace and lots of docs raised here and want to move back to be with Mom and Dad. This in turn leads to a high supply of MD's. A high penetrance of managed care, very poor Medicaid reimbursement, lots of internet millionaires driving up demand for homes and sending MD's back to middle class neighborhoods and lifestyles, soak the "rich" taxation philosophy propagated by the leg and governor. You name it. I do like California, but unlike others on this forum, my affection for the state isn't unqualified.

what you are saying isn't necessarily wrong but everyone in my residency from the past 2 years that I have seen have all gotten jobs up and down california (bay area, SD, OC, LA) and most are in groups with good payer mixes with 40+ unit values, thus making anywhere from 350-500k. I know older residents that work in central california clearing 500-600k starting. job market is rough but you can find a job. taxes suck ass and cost of living in coastal cities blows but it is what it is. you can live in CA and work in fresno, bakersfield, palm springs and make a good salary and buy a very nice home for cheap.

sometimes I think I would love to work in a state with no state income tax, low cost of living and good salary but i feel like i'd be happier in the bay area, SD, LA or OC and if im willing to pay for that then who are any of you to judge that. no one cares if you want to live in south dakota and clear 700k, thats your own prerogative.

Man, I am really getting sick of being called names for pointing out something that is as plain as day, then getting called weak when I don't feel like arguing about things that are self evident. The only concrete example posted of someone finding a decent job in Cali is you, and frankly, your unit value ain't nothing to brag about. And btw, ASMG gets hundreds of applications for a handful of spots every year. Frankly, most of these guys will get their resume ****canned on the first go around, and the lucky few that make it in will end up at hospitals in less desirable areas. Two of the "premier" OC groups that just merged also closed down their partnerships tracks, and the Newport and Mission groups only hire people they know from a limited number of programs. The U of CA pays their CRNA's more than junior attendings. You might be able to scratch 300 after being there 20 years and fighting over call like a hungry dog, but then you can forget about having time to surf during the weekday. For the record, there may be a few good jobs in Cali, but schmoes like the OP don't have a shot in the world at them. Rather, the OP will end up making 30 bucks a unit, taking care of Medi-medi patients in poorer areas.

This post seems to concede that there are good jobs but they are not easy to get. Isn't this true everywhere? And who's to say the OP is a schmoe?

My partners live in the nicest parts of town, the kids attend the best schools and we take nice vacations and drive nice cars. Really California is not that horrible. It's also not for everybody.

Last edited:
In all seriousness, I just wanna know where this place is that has warm water empty beaches, high unit values, blue ribbon schools, and sub-million dollar beachfront property. If such a place a truly exists I'm ready to pack my bags and leave SoCal for this Shangri-La tomorrow.

what you are saying isn't necessarily wrong but everyone in my residency from the past 2 years that I have seen have all gotten jobs up and down california (bay area, SD, OC, LA) and most are in groups with good payer mixes with 40+ unit values, thus making anywhere from 350-500k. I know older residents that work in central california clearing 500-600k starting. job market is rough but you can find a job. taxes suck ass and cost of living in coastal cities blows but it is what it is. you can live in CA and work in fresno, bakersfield, palm springs and make a good salary and buy a very nice home for cheap.

sometimes I think I would love to work in a state with no state income tax, low cost of living and good salary but i feel like i'd be happier in the bay area, SD, LA or OC and if im willing to pay for that then who are any of you to judge that. no one cares if you want to live in south dakota and clear 700k, thats your own prerogative.

350-500 starting as a new grad in cali? O.O thats above national avg of mid career salary

350-500 starting as a new grad in cali? O.O thats above national avg of mid career salary

You need to realize the aforementioned practices are eat what you kill from the get go so starting=mid career. And when you slow down your income declines.

Does doing a fellowship in the area significantly increase chances of landing a job in California? I'm an LA transplant in NYC whom did medical school and residency back east. NEED to get back to CA.

Does doing a fellowship in the area significantly increase chances of landing a job in California? I'm an LA transplant in NYC whom did medical school and residency back east. NEED to get back to CA.

I think if you have no other connections or networking established in that market, a fellowship in the area would be a good way to establish those relationships. The actual fellowship itself may or may not help you but can't really hurt. As usual, peds or cardiac are you best bets if the plan is to end up in PP.

California's a big place. Which part do you NEED to get back to? If it's a tight area, consider doing your fellowship right there.

And why do you need to go back to CA?

Just playing golf in wretched california in 67 degree sunny weather... Juss sayin. Happy thanksgiving

Just playing golf in wretched california in 67 degree sunny weather... Juss sayin. Happy thanksgiving

man i went to cali once and when it went down to 63 i was like hm it's chilly here today. then went home a few days later back to the east coast and it was freaking 36 degrees.

California's a big place. Which part do you NEED to get back to? If it's a tight area, consider doing your fellowship right there.

And why do you need to go back to CA?

Would like to be in the LA area but wouldn't mind SF. All of my family and most of my friends reside in California and I would like to be close to them since I've been gone for a while. I've done my time in NYC and while it has been good to me, I think I'd like to head back. Although, I would be interested in a job in fly-over country for a bit to make some dough and pay down my loans.

Moved to cali out of an east coast residency with zero connections and no fellowship 3 years ago. During my years in PP I found 3 separate jobs each >300k. Taxes sucked but money was never an issue. It's a terrible market but you get what you pay for an I wouldn't trade 300 days of 70 and sunny for anything else. And FYI, if you know where to go you can find plenty of beaches with free parking away from the tourists

Take periopdoc's advice and live where others vacation.

If you live where others vacation, it won't seem like vacation anymore. Trust me. I've done it.

Kilvinsky is a little over the top. But I agree with the sentiment. California is a nice place to visit but wouldn't want to live there. If I leave my current job (again), which is doubtful so long as they'll have me and things stay the way they are, I'm moving to a place where they actually want and need doctors and treat and pay them accordingly. You can save up a ton of money then retire to some socialist paradise... like California. Where it will still feel like vacation. All the time.

If you live where others vacation, it won't seem like vacation anymore. Trust me. I've done it.

I think this is pretty subjective and depends a lot on your specific circumstances. I know myself, POD, and Noy would disagree with you. Plus, I think your situation was complicated by a ****ty job. CA's probably an even worse place to retire than it is to work in.

There's no arguing that a job in flyover country make the most fiscal sense. But my happiness, ability to do the activities I love on a daily basis, and proximity to family/loved ones especially while my kids are young and impressionable is more important to me than my bank account. Maybe 20 years from now I'll be kicking myself saying "Why oh why didn't I listen to kilvinsky!!" I'm never gonna live like a king as a physician in SoCal, but for now my life still feels like one long, continuous vacation.

I think this is pretty subjective and depends a lot on your specific circumstances. I know myself, POD, and Noy would disagree with you. Plus, I think your situation was complicated by a ****ty job. CA's probably an even worse place to retire than it is to work in.

There's no arguing that a job in flyover country make the most fiscal sense. But my happiness, ability to do the activities I love on a daily basis, and proximity to family/loved ones especially while my kids are young and impressionable is more important to me than my bank account. Maybe 20 years from now I'll be kicking myself saying "Why oh why didn't I listen to kilvinsky!!" I'm never gonna live like a king as a physician in SoCal, but for now my life still feels like one long, continuous vacation.

Fair points. Can't argue with your logic.

If you can get away from the job mentally and emotionally when you step out the door, then you win. I couldn't. I like being able to sleep soundly at night and looking forward to getting up the morning and going to work. Between those two things is where you spend 2/3rds of your life. It all depends on where you find your bliss, I suppose.

Can anyone comment on the academic anesthesia market in SoCal specifically at UCLA, USC, UCI, and Cedars?

Hey guys/girls,
I'm a board certified anesthesiologist looking for part time / full time work in Southern California. I'm finding it a bit difficult especially because I did not have many connections here and most anesthesia jobs go through word of mouth.. Other than cold calling hospitals and surgery centers in the area, does anyone who knows the system or recently found employment care to share what the best strategies/resources are for this area? Also if anyone is interested in expanding their group, let me know. Thanks in advance for any info..

I would look for a slightly more rural area, like: Carmel Area, San Diego Area, or even Sacramento - seems like it would be easier and you could drive to visit family/friends. Right in LA, very difficult.

Big difference, in my experience, between being in the MIDDLE of the desireable area, and an hour outside. You just drive in whenever you want and you create a little barrier between you and your family which is good

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm fairly certain that Cedars is covered by a large private practice group. It's not academic.

It’s basically private practice with its own residency program.

By the way, I always find it hilarious when people brag about being about having access to the beach. What the forget to tell you is the hour they spent looking for a parking spot, the wetsuit they had to wear, the used car they drove there, or the tract house they drove back to 10 miles away.

Got a ER doc buddy who has a nice (albeit smallish) house that’s a 5-10 minute walk to the ocean in Manhattan beach. Area is safe, beautiful, and weather perfect.

Yes there are trade offs. He would make more money with less taxes and have a bigger house almost anywhere else. But he’s happy, and to act like trading some money and material goods for weather and quality of life is insane just shows how many people are missing the point.

Reactions: 4 users
Got a ER doc buddy who has a nice (albeit smallish) house that’s a 5-10 minute walk to the ocean in Manhattan beach. Area is safe, beautiful, and weather perfect.

Yes there are trade offs. He would make more money with less taxes and have a bigger house almost anywhere else. But he’s happy, and to act like trading some money and material goods for weather and quality of life is insane just shows how many people are missing the point.

Even a micro house in Manhattan Beach is over a million... but, the area is beyond amazing.

Palos verdes right by the cliff would be amazing....especially if those mpa's didnt get implemented. Prime diving right there and relatively semi free of people cause nobody wants to climb a big ass cliff trail just to go fish.