Difficulty of Gold Standard CBTs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoeKing

Determined Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are some older threads regarding the GS tests and their difficulty. However, I wanted to know if anyone has taken them recently and has any input of how they compare to the real deal? I am not taking the MCAT until january so I dont want to use up my AAMC tests prematurely. I have taken 6 of the GS tests and have scored between 30-33 on each.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there! I completed all the GS tests followed by the AAMC tests and just sat for the real deal a little over a week ago.

PS: GS definitely goes up and beyond here. They require much more specific knowledge and are very calculation heavy. I definitely did not feel they were an accurate representation of the aamc's or the real MCAT but they were great practice! I was pretty rough in the MCAT math department when I started studying so GS really brought me up to par there. Exams 1-6 were pretty laid back but 7-10 were really tough. I felt as though they were much more straight forward and easier than the aamc exams while I was actually taking them but my average scores were 3 points higher in aamc PS. Overall I think they had a "hazing" quality that helped me quite a bit. I stayed between 8 and 9 on GS PS but I had no problem hitting 11 and 12 in aamc PS.

Verbal: Mixed feelings here. Everyone says GS verbal is terrible and I don't agree, GS verbal does have extremely convoluted questions/answers but the passages were shorter and it was easy to find direct quotes to help answer the questions. The worst thing about the verbal here was the scale they used to score exams! I would finish tests with a close to perfect score yet my actual percentage of correct answers correlated to at least two points lower on the aamc scale. Very misleading! I would recommend using GS verbal for practice but don't expect your scores to reflect what you will get on the aamc's. Ultimately the quality of your practice and REVIEW will be far more critical than the test company that makes the practice tests(in my opinion).

BS: Pretty decent. My bio scores were about the same as aamc's but I did find many of the passages to be much more straightforward than aamc. Probably the most realistic in relation to aamc/MCAT.

Overall I scored around 2 points higher with the aamc exams which appears to be the majority experience with them. If your average is that high in GS you will do great on aamc and the real thing! Keep up the good work! If you have any questions ask away. I was always looking for other's experiences with the GS when I was using them.

The GS tests were quite a bit harder in my opinion, too. They tested some really specific information sometimes as well. If i remember right, I averaged around a 28 on the GS tests. The last one I took was a week before my actual exam. Got a 31 on the actual thing. Make sure you take the AAMC practice tests before you take the real thing. Number 11 is the closest to the real deal.

Hi, I just finished GS 1-4 exams as well.

PS- This section is always very calculation heavy (GS 3 PS had over 20 calculations!) But they are amazing practice! If you know dimensional analysis, you can pretty much get a lot of "hard" questions correct. Overall, I believe this is an invaluable source of practice. In terms of actual score, I actually DO NOT think the scaled score is a bit harsher than AAMC - it is right in line with the AAMC PS. The reason being they amended the scale so that the "difficulty" level was accounted for about 2 months ago. So take your score at face value - it is likely where you will be scoring in the AAMCs. I ranged from 10-11 on PS on 4 exams and that is right where I am in the AAMC.

VR: I don't think that it is a total loss. There are questions that will require some comprehension and analysis but they have NO evaluation or incorporation of information questions (strengthen/weaken/new information,etc) that AAMC has. Also the subject matter is relatively simple and straightforward. As if that wasn't bad enough, the curve is actually a point EASIER than AAMC (like you can get a 9 with 25/40). So do not rely on their verbal for an improvement. Seek EK 101 or AAMC self assessments.

BIO: Excellent resource! Definitely much easier than TBR, but I believe on the par (if not slightly easier) than AAMCs. The passages are sometimes short but there are tests where the passage is enormous in length. I also believe the scaled score is a good snapshot of where you are (although it may be a tad bit inflated) - I was consistently scoring 11s with 40/52 (by AAMC scale, that is a 10). But definitely a healthy mix of organic chem and biology.

Overall, I think that the PS is spot on when it comes to predicting where you are standing relative to AAMC. The VR is a big no-no! The BS is also fairly reasonable, although it too may be a bit inflated in its scaling.

I hope this helps, I sit for my re-take in about 2 weeks. All the best in your studying.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did GS 1-6 and scored between a 34-37... I then did AAMC 5 and scored a 38 (13/12/13).

IMO, its definitely harder and more than likely will increase your AAMC score.

I don't get it. I went from a 24 to a 22 and then to a 26 with GS1-3.

I took a AAMC test (#5) and got a 21!! I took a kaplan FL (#1) and got a 21 as well!!

I thought GS tests were harder but I guess they were easier for me?

Maybe it's all mental or lack of confidence now.

I took a AAMC test (#5) and got a 21!! I took a kaplan FL (#1) and got a 21 as well!!

what are your numbers in AAMC 5?

ps 6
vr 6
bs 9

May I be honest with you.....as AAMC5 has generally been considered as the easiest one among the whole AAMC group of FLs.

I am leaning toward to suggest that there are content deficiency in Phys & G-Chem. Also, VR needs WORK. When is your test date?

May I be honest with you.....as AAMC5 has generally been considered as the easiest one among the whole AAMC group of FLs.

I am leaning toward to suggest that there are content deficiency in Phys & G-Chem. Also, VR needs WORK. When is your test date?

I do not mind the honesty. My test date is Sept 7th, about 3 weeks away. It is looking like I will need to postpone which I really don't want to. I will take AAMC #11 before the 31st (I think the last day to cancel my test?) and see where I stand.

My concern now is why is my score dropping? Am I burning out? Lack of confidence? This Kaplan FL #1 was taken before work and after work (I split it up). Also, AAMC #5 was when I had a person talking next to me when I took the PS section. I followed through and did VR but after VR I was so frustrated that I took a break and came back and finished BS.

I got a 9 on my EK 101 test so I know my VR score shouldn't be THAT BAD.

Sorry, to stay on topic... I don't know maybe I am the rare case but I have started a downward trend after taking GS tests. However, I may have listed the reasons why above...

I do not mind the honesty. My test date is Sept 7th, about 3 weeks away. It is looking like I will need to postpone which I really don't want to. I will take AAMC #11 before the 31st (I think the last day to cancel my test?) and see where I stand.

My concern now is why is my score dropping? Am I burning out? Lack of confidence? This Kaplan FL #1 was taken before work and after work (I split it up). Also, AAMC #5 was when I had a person talking next to me when I took the PS section. I followed through and did VR but after VR I was so frustrated that I took a break and came back and finished BS.

I got a 9 on my EK 101 test so I know my VR score shouldn't be THAT BAD.

Sorry, to stay on topic... I don't know maybe I am the rare case but I have started a downward trend after taking GS tests. However, I may have listed the reasons why above...

You still have 16 days before 31st.

DO NOT waste AAMC 11 for evaluation purpose only. You can use others like AAMC 7 to confirm your standing. I didn't check all your posts. Did you do AAMC 3 & 4 yet? If not, then use them for evaluation, not 11 as it is gold. Also, have you done SA VR part?

VR is very stubborn. If when it is approaching 31 and your VR score stays put, postpone. MCAT should only be taken when you are ready.

DO NOT waste AAMC 11 for evaluation purpose only. You can use others like AAMC 7 to confirm your standing. I didn't check all your posts. Did you do AAMC 3 & 4 yet? If not, then use them for evaluation, not 11 as it is gold. Also, have you done SA VR part?

VR is very stubborn. If when it is approaching 31 and your VR score stays put, postpone. MCAT should only be taken when you are ready.

I have not taken AAMC 4 yet. I took the AAMC 3 a few months ago and received a pretty low score.

I have not done the self assessment VR. I believe I will purchase that as I have read the VR from AAMC is different from everyone else's.

I will take AAMC 4 here in a week or so. I heard the Kaplan FL are pretty hard (PS and BS) so I want to practice with those before spending money on AAMC tests.

Time is not on my side but these next few weeks will be rough.

I have not taken AAMC 4 yet. I took the AAMC 3 a few months ago and received a pretty low score.

I have not done the self assessment VR. I believe I will purchase that as I have read the VR from AAMC is different from everyone else's.

I will take AAMC 4 here in a week or so. I heard the Kaplan FL are pretty hard (PS and BS) so I want to practice with those before spending money on AAMC tests.

Time is not on my side but these next few weeks will be rough.

In any situation, there are many solutions.

May I suggetion my 2 cents suggestion as following:
1. Get PR Cracking book (loca library or amazon). There are 4 tough online tests. 1st one is the free one everybody can do anyway. Don't worry about the score particularly the VR. The composite may be 2 to 3 points lower than AAMC. You need to use them to feel where you are at in this 2 weeks without wasting other AAMCs.

2. Get the VR of SA. There are 120 questions and that should be enough for you to do 3 tests (40 ea).

3. Then do the AAMC 4.
There are other option I could have suggested......but it is very limited as time is major negative factor.
If the result looks within the range you wish, proceed; otherwise, pull back and postpone before 31.

I appreciate the help.

I have EK books, TBR, and Kaplan. These are older books but I guess should still do the trick. I don't know if the PR book is any better than above?

I also have a myriad amount of practice tests as well(especially from kaplan handed down to me). I even own the TPRH SW and kaplan high yield problems. I was going to take a few more kaplan FL (old tests with 77 questions for PS and BS) before tackling AAMC.

I will need to purchase the SA VR even though I have the Ek 101 book.

I have the "ammo" and maybe I have too many which distracts me.

Any suggestions on which one I should prioritize? I feel like I need a set plan.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow I can't believe how helpful GS exams have been.... I just did AAMC 7.

PS - 13
VR - 9
BS - 12

The PS on the AAMC makes Gold Standard PS look like a piece of freaking cake!

sunrat, that is an awful lot of material- please don't get bogged down with so much practice material. Stick with 1-2 sources AND the aamc exams and you will be fine. Did you take any other gold standard practice tests? I have improved a TON from the gold standards.

After being done with GS exams and doing AAMCs, my PS usually hovered around 10-11 on GS exams and bio was stuck at 11. So you can expect 2-3 points higher on AAMCs coming off gold standard practice cbts.

I appreciate the help.

I have EK books, TBR, and Kaplan. These are older books but I guess should still do the trick. I don't know if the PR book is any better than above?

I also have a myriad amount of practice tests as well(especially from kaplan handed down to me). I even own the TPRH SW and kaplan high yield problems. I was going to take a few more kaplan FL (old tests with 77 questions for PS and BS) before tackling AAMC.

I will need to purchase the SA VR even though I have the Ek 101 book.

I have the "ammo" and maybe I have too many which distracts me.

Any suggestions on which one I should prioritize? I feel like I need a set plan.

If you have so much stuff......forget about the PR book.
Do the following:

1. Take the SA VR ASAP to get the feel of your VR standing. Do it as 100% FL environment. 3 tests totally.

2. Start doing TPRH SW everyday to gauge PS and BS.
2A. Selectively content review using EK for Biology, TBR for Phys, G-Chem & O-Chm & EK101 for VR for passages. Need to see what it looks like say about Aug 27 to 28.

3. Take a couple Kaplan FL from 1 to 5. Don't worry about the VR section.

4. Do some Kaplan high yield problems. Don't worry about the VR section. If you have their section test 1-7. Do a couple. Need to know abut BS and PS.
At this point on, all bet is on your BASELINE. push all the chips out.

Wow I can't believe how helpful GS exams have been.... I just did AAMC 7.

PS - 13
VR - 9
BS - 12

The PS on the AAMC makes Gold Standard PS look like a piece of freaking cake!

sunrat, that is an awful lot of material- please don't get bogged down with so much practice material. Stick with 1-2 sources AND the aamc exams and you will be fine. Did you take any other gold standard practice tests? I have improved a TON from the gold standards.

After being done with GS exams and doing AAMCs, my PS usually hovered around 10-11 on GS exams and bio was stuck at 11. So you can expect 2-3 points higher on AAMCs coming off gold standard practice cbts.

I haven't taken any other GS tests. Just stopped at GS-3 and then my decline went from there.

I wonder if I should give GS another shot?

Now, I will contemplate Kaplan vs GS cbt.

Texan-

How did you benefit from GS? Did you "post phrase"? How did you go over questions that you missed? Meaning, did you review the next day by using flash cards or more practice problems?

Please help!

I'll post my GS scores and preparation here-

GS1- 9/9/9 - 27
GS5- 9/9/11-29
GS4- 11/9/11-31
GS3- 10/9/11-30
GS2- 12/9/12-33
GS6- PS: 10; BIO: 11
GS7- PS: 8 (tough!!!!) BS: 9 (hammered by some organic)
EK 101 (Tests 1-7) average: 9
AAMC 8: 10/10/11- 31
AAMC 10: 11/9/12- 32
AAMC 7 (today)- 13/9/12- 34

Post-phrasing: I don't actually do what Kaplan does. I have a different style of post phrase. Every question I miss, I rewrite the question and solve it. I then write down and answer (a) what concept being tested? (b) Is this a calculation or equation manipulation? (c) How would the answer be different if another variable was being asked and vice versa? (d) Did I make an easy question hard? (e) Could I do this without passage information. (f) Do I have to go back to refresh the concept or equation?

Doing this lets you analyze THOROUGHLY why you missed a question. You can gain very valuable information from these questions.

Why I believe Gold Standard PS is very good?
1- Calculations.... Tons of them... On exam 3, there are a total of 21 calculations!!!!! Not all of them hard. But because they require tons of time, they force you to pace.... And if you have checked some SDN threads, there are exams that have calculation heavy PS sections. So this trained my mind to remain confident on questions that I know to do and just guess on ones that I can't solve or those that will take a lot of time. Because if you get a calc-heavy PS on MCAT, you have to have faith in calculations you CAN do and then you have to GUESS and MOVE ON. When I did this, I had about 7 mins left in the PS section, I was able to go back to 1-2 of the calculations and SOLVE them correctly!!!! So pacing actually helps even if you have to guess first.

2- Equation related questions: On MCAT, you can expect a lot of questions that ask your knowledge of simple concepts of equations (Bernoulli's principle, REDOX, etc.) And the AAMCs have very similar questions that you can easily see right through the question stem and click the correct answer (saving you tons of time!!!).

3- Passage length is NOT an issue: A lot of people said that the PS passages are shorter. While this may be true for some exams, on average they are ok. On the MCAT, unless its an experiment, you just have to read quickly through the passage and move on to the questions.

----Also, I don't recommend VR section from Gold Standards; they are too easy and questions are too simple. Go to EK for verbal.

BS: I think bs is also good practice. Some passages are short, some long. Definitely helpful because there are many experiment-based passages in both biology and organic chemistry. There are also discretes that may seem random but they can pop up on your MCAT. And there are some challenging organic passages too.

With regards to score inflation/deflation: At first I didn't think that gold standards were deflated but perhaps this is true. I am scoring higher on AAMCs than gold standard PS and BS sections.

My exam is Aug 28th - around 1.5 weeks. I have already done other AAMCs (including 11) I have 3 more berkeley review exams that I will be doing and I have on more AAMC 9 left. I am glad I took the gold standard route and supplemented my knowledge with Berkeley review for my retake because I scored abysmally in June (got a 24 for PS:8, VR 6, BS 10) - so I am definitely expecting a strong improvement on the retake.

I should also add that transition from Berkeley and Gold Standard questions over to AAMCs may not be as smooth because your mindset will have to be toned DOWN for AAMCs. Think about this- MCAT is a standardized test and even average Joe can do well on it. So, don't overthink questions, don't make easy questions hard, if you see a complicated question, just look at the question stem and ask yourself "what is the average Joe expected to know out of this question that is related to simple harmonic motion, fluids, kinematics, forces, etc?" - I needed to do this on my AAMCs because I was simply making an easy question complex because I had been doing gold standard and Berkeley questions. Doing this will help you to overcome the problem of overthinking a particular question.

I should also add that transition from Berkeley and Gold Standard questions over to AAMCs may not be as smooth because your mindset will have to be toned DOWN for AAMCs. Think about this- MCAT is a standardized test and even average Joe can do well on it. So, don't overthink questions, don't make easy questions hard, if you see a complicated question, just look at the question stem and ask yourself "what is the average Joe expected to know out of this question that is related to simple harmonic motion, fluids, kinematics, forces, etc?" - I needed to do this on my AAMCs because I was simply making an easy question complex because I had been doing gold standard and Berkeley questions. Doing this will help you to overcome the problem of overthinking a particular question.

I think that's my issue right here. I tend to over analyze which takes up time and then causes anxiety when I'm not on pace. This in turn gives me a pretty bad PS score. I can't seem to solve my VR dilemma. More practice I suppose.

Thank you both for your help! I will review my kaplan FL today and then study my weaknesses tomorrow (doing more practice problems).

I don't know which full length I will want to take next. GS or kaplan. I might stick with GS for sciences and use EK or SA VR from AAMC for my VR tests. I will do AAMC during the last week of August see where I am at.

If you have so much stuff......forget about the PR book.
Do the following:

1. Take the SA VR ASAP to get the feel of your VR standing. Do it as 100% FL environment. 3 tests totally.

2. Start doing TPRH SW everyday to gauge PS and BS.
2A. Selectively content review using EK for Biology, TBR for Phys, G-Chem & O-Chm & EK101 for VR for passages. Need to see what it looks like say about Aug 27 to 28.

3. Take a couple Kaplan FL from 1 to 5. Don't worry about the VR section.

4. Do some Kaplan high yield problems. Don't worry about the VR section. If you have their section test 1-7. Do a couple. Need to know abut BS and PS.
At this point on, all bet is on your BASELINE. push all the chips out.

I have their section tests which I hear are pretty dang HARD. Here are my results for those:

Section Test 1:
18/31

Section Test 2:
12/27

Section Test 3:
10/29

I have read that if you score about 75% on these section tests that you average about 12 or so for your PS score. Well, it aint happening for me.

It looks like I will review my FL today, hopefully finish it all today (77+60+77 questions in total!). Go over some weaknesses tomorrow and possibly Saturday. Take another FL Saturday (or sunday if I can't finish my review by tomorrow).

Sunrat, stick with the 52/40/52 exams because (1) they will tell you how to modify your pacing (if needed) (2) save you time!

Also, for verbal, if you haven't done EK 101, start with that. Do a couple verbal tests (untimed!!!) then transition over to AAMC self assessment verbal. On the self assessment, make sure you absolutely understand AAMC explanation and logic used to get the answer.

Might be a good idea to buy Physics and Bio self assessments because these questions will give you more AAMC material and the transition to tone your thinking "down" for AAMCs may be obtained from these.

My opinion would be that you are stronger when it comes to applying your knowledge than using critical thinking during the test(not to say you cant). GS is better suited to people who know their content well and aamc to people who rely more on the passage and questions/answers to answer. I found the aamc's to be more confusing but the questions actually easier if you understand what is being asked and don't overcomplicate it. If you are taking the tests and trying to apply what you know to answer every question, this can be problematic with the aamc. Maybe try changing your approach a little so that you give what is in front of you more weight when answering the questions. This is something I discovered from my personal experience so I may be misjudging what is going on there. Why do you feel that you did better with GS/worse with aamc?

My opinion would be that you are stronger when it comes to applying your knowledge than using critical thinking during the test(not to say you cant). GS is better suited to people who know their content well and aamc to people who rely more on the passage and questions/answers to answer. I found the aamc's to be more confusing but the questions actually easier if you understand what is being asked and don't overcomplicate it. If you are taking the tests and trying to apply what you know to answer every question, this can be problematic with the aamc. Maybe try changing your approach a little so that you give what is in front of you more weight when answering the questions. This is something I discovered from my personal experience so I may be misjudging what is going on there. Why do you feel that you did better with GS/worse with aamc?

I think you may be on to something here. I felt like I did better on GS because I would review equations and practice problems. I believe my score went up a little as I got better doing that.

However, when I took the AAMC 5 test, I didn't give much weight to passage, or I missed a lot of important information within the passage.

Of the questions I missed on AAMC 5 it looks like 21% of my missed questions were because I didn't know the content. I missed questions because I didn't understand the vocabulary, didn't see the relationship, missed important information, etc...
I think my instinct in doing PS problems is to hurry up and think of the equation and somehow use it within the question. I am not taking the important information out of the passage and applying it.

I think my instinct in doing PS problems is to hurry up and think of the equation and somehow use it within the question. I am not taking the important information out of the passage and applying it.

This is EXACTLY how I felt after tons of Berkeley Review and Gold Standard problems. You have to learn to tone it "down" for the AAMCs because they're really asking for the basic fundamental concepts.

The hard questions is where your intense prep with GS/EK/TBR/Princeton comes in.

I think you may be on to something here. I felt like I did better on GS because I would review equations and practice problems. I believe my score went up a little as I got better doing that.

However, when I took the AAMC 5 test, I didn't give much weight to passage, or I missed a lot of important information within the passage.

Of the questions I missed on AAMC 5 it looks like 21% of my missed questions were because I didn't know the content. I missed questions because I didn't understand the vocabulary, didn't see the relationship, missed important information, etc...

Same with me. I always felt like my content was not strong enough but when I would go to correct my aamc's I found my mistakes came from misunderstanding the question or trying to apply too much pre-existing info. The aamc questions are really quite simple if you can read through the craziness around them. I feel like knowing the content really well might even hurt at times.

Looks like I lied.

I have until August 24th to cancel! Crap! What if I decide to cancel a day before the exam? Besides losing all my money what is the other issue?

Looks like I lied.

I have until August 24th to cancel! Crap! What if I decide to cancel a day before the exam? Besides losing all my money what is the other issue?

Well, you only have 8 days to decide. Besides the $$$$, it significantly change your decision making strategy. I will go ahead and take the SA VR immediately and do whatever content review and/or a couple 3rd party FLs. I would definitely take the AAMC4 the latest next Wed/Thu and make your decision on Thursday night or Friday morning.

Have faith in yourself. The previous 2 posters gave you some very pointed and good hints. The outcome of the test may be much better than you think. The worst case is that you go in the test and decide to void it the last minute. You have nothing to lose except "hurting"your own feeling. Fighting!

Well, you only have 8 days to decide. Besides the $$$$, it significantly change your decision making strategy. I will go ahead and take the SA VR immediately and do whatever content review and/or a couple 3rd party FLs. I would definitely take the AAMC4 the latest next Wed/Thu and make your decision on Thursday night or Friday morning.

Have faith in yourself. The previous 2 posters gave you some very pointed and good hints. The outcome of the test may be much better than you think. The worst case is that you go in the test and decide to void it the last minute. You have nothing to lose except "hurting"your own feeling. Fighting!

I have postponed before. I will take this no matter what, if I feel like I didn't do well enough I will void it. I cannot live in fear of this test. Thanks for the encouragement!

Sunrat, stick with the 52/40/52 exams because (1) they will tell you how to modify your pacing (if needed) (2) save you time!

Also, for verbal, if you haven't done EK 101, start with that. Do a couple verbal tests (untimed!!!) then transition over to AAMC self assessment verbal. On the self assessment, make sure you absolutely understand AAMC explanation and logic used to get the answer.

Might be a good idea to buy Physics and Bio self assessments because these questions will give you more AAMC material and the transition to tone your thinking "down" for AAMCs may be obtained from these.

I went ahead and bought that AAMC 4 + Self Assessment package. I am going all in. Wish me luck guys! Going to be buying redbull in bulk!

I am glad to find this thread. My son is retaking MCAT next week. He has been using GS, TBR, and AAMC FL tests. He believes that both GS and TBR FL 's are great practice tests. This is the comparison. He is using the strategy from LIS.

Content review 90% done
6/15/2014 - GS-1: 10BS-12VR-10PS(32)
6/21/2014 - GS-2: 11b/12/13p (36)
6/26/2014 - TBR4: 11b/12/11p(34)
Content review done
7/1/2014 - AAMC7: 12b/13/12p(37)
7/4/2014 - GS-3: 11b/13/14p(38)
7/7/2014 - TBR5: 11b/13/11p (35,VR with TPR) - relatively difficult
7/10/2014 - AAMC11 : 12b/12/13p(37)
7/13/2014 - GS-7: 11b/12/11p(34) - relatively difficult
7/16/2014 - TBR7: 12b/11/13p (36,VR with TPR)
7/19/2014 - GS-8: 13b/12/14p(39)
7/21/2014 - GS-5: TBD
7/23/2014 - AAMC9: TBD

Hope he can get around 35.

Reactions: 1 user