Difficulty understanding lab techniques?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vitaebellaa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning to take the MCAT on 7/6 and took AAMC 3 yesterday (my first full length) and received a 32. The breakdown was 9 PS 10 V 13 BS but I am slightly disappointed since I took the test untimed (although I stayed well under an hour for Verbal and even BS). Since I went almost 10 minutes over for PS and I only got a 9 I am very concerned about PS in particular since it would likely be lower on the real thing. I received a 4 on my pS for my kaplan diagnostic so I decided to study with TBR for gen. chem and physics which I think has helped bring my score up. If it matters, I just am aiming for a 30 or above.

Here's my issue. After post-phrasing today I realize that 90% of my questions wrong on PS were directly related to not understanding what is going on in the experiment (which is really concerning because that is a huge part of the MCAT). I did fine on the discretes for the most part. From this AAMC, practice passages, and kaplan section tests I almost always get questions wrong related to laboratory techniques (e.g. how does this particular step minimize error etc. ) In BS I am having the same issue with organic passages too (not so much with biological experiments).

Has anyone else had a similar issue and how did you/are you tackling it? I thought about rereading my lab manuals but they are either at school or destroyed in a fit of mania after a semester of 10 page lab reports...

Members don't see this ad.