Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

Digital Visual Acuity Charts

Discussion in 'Young Ophthalmologists' started by eyebolit, 11.26.10.

1. eyebolit

eyebolit Junior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Hi everyone. I am in a process of setting up an office and would like to purchase digital visual acuity charts. There are many different brands (ClearChart2, 20/20 vision, Acuity PRO, Innova, Echart Acuity, topcon visichart, Clarity Acuity, Provideo system, Lombard CVS system, Sirius Visual acuity system, FrontMotion vision eye chart, Vistavision among etc). I would like to find out if anyone has any experience with these and are they worth $2,500. Which one should I go for? Do they work in rooms that are 7 ft long w/o mirrors?

Thanks for your input
  2. KHE

KHE Senior Member SDN Advisor

Optometrist
    Optometrist SDN 7+ Year Member
    Our office uses the acuity pro and it's great. Lots of features, remote control, very very customizeable.

But a 7 foot room? I don't think you want to do that under any circumstances. That seems like a baaad idea.
  3. eyebolit

eyebolit Junior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    KHE, thanks for you comment. Did you buy their computer bundle ($2800) or just software for 1500 and using your own monitor?

I have checked official minimum distance requirements for the Acuity Pro and ClearChart2 and both mention 6 ft as minimum. Following quote is from Acuity Pro website: "The minimum distance is around 6 feet. Anything shorter than that is going to make the 20/15 and 20/10 lines be so small that they won't be accurate. Also remember that at optical distances shorter than around 13 feet, there is a 0.25 diopter or more of accommodative demand that you will need to adjust your refractions by"
    Unfortunately I can't change the size of my exam rooms, so hope 7ft will do. What do you think?
  4. orbitsurgMD

orbitsurgMD Senior Member

Attending Physician
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I bought Sharp System 20/20 for use with iMacs. It is scalable and was priced below some of the others. At the time, 2 or so years ago, a setup with the computer cost around $1600 per room.

7 feet is short.
  5. KHE

KHE Senior Member SDN Advisor

Optometrist
    Optometrist SDN 7+ Year Member
    We bought the computer bundle though we paid a lot less than $2800 because we bought 4 of them.

In the case of a 7 foot room, I would definately go with the mirrored system. All of these digital systems accommodate for that very easily.

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal