Dilema with pushing MCAT by few months

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lisztomania287

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
have you done the section banks?

Also, during the fall will you have minimal to zero time to keep up with reviewing? If so, would you be jumping back into studying in those last 4 weeks?

@theonlytycrane Yes, I started to work on Section Bank and Question packs. I got 69% for Bio and I'm so far getting 72% in C/P (both timed but done on multiple sittings; about half done with CP so far). I'm working on CARS 1 Q-pack, also timed and multiple sittings.

For the next 10 days, I do plan to finish SB C/P and P/S as well as Q-pack CARS 1, CARS 2, and Bio. In addition, my plan was to do AAMC Scored and OG as well. I plan to retake all SB sections.

I was quite confident that my score will go up to ~512 range by the test date, but the recent scores are quite discouraging. I'm not sure if I should go all out and use all AAMC material now or "save" them for later.

In terms of Fall, I'm quite involved in several time consuming EC's and research, so I am not confident that I can save up more than 4-6 hours per week to study for MCAT at max. I've been utilizing Anki during the summer, so that can help with content review.

And yes, I would jump back to studying in those last 4 weeks. I've been studying 50-60 hours per week this summer, so I built up some studying stamina and hoping that will help then as well haha

If you really want to see where you are, just take the AAMC scored test. If you're scared about bombing it and then not having an official AAMC test to use later on, if you cancel your Sep. test, don't worry. Because AAMC is releasing a *new* scored exam this fall. Exact date has yet to be announced. So if you want to gauge your current progress before the test, just take the currently available scored practice test.

You should also reflect on what caused your B/B score to be that low on your unscored exam, compared to the other sections.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

As with countless number of other pre-meds, I've been studying for MCAT over the past 2.5 months to apply for 2018 MD app cycle, but my practice test scores haven't been that stellar recently. Thus, I wanted to get some feedback regarding my options from the experts.

Long story short, my test date is September 9th (in 10 days) and my practice scores had been almost linearly improving from 491 -> 508 (scores listed below), but I received 502 and 504 (NS 4 and 2, respectively) on the most recent tests.

At this point, I am thinking I do not have time to increase my score to my goal of 512-514, so I'm seriously considering taking it on January 2017 instead. I do have exactly 4 weeks of winter break, but I'm afraid I will forget good chunks of test skills/content over the next few months, when I definitely won't have time to review during. (1) Thus, is 4 weeks of extra study time worth risking forgetting content over the next several months and using up more of my time? I'm doubting myself with only 10 days left and with a score that is close yet so far away from my goal.

(2) In addition, since it's already in "Bronze Zone" for the September date, should I take the real test and void or simply cancel the test?

(3) Lastly, at this point, should I try out AAMC Scored FL or save it for winter studying? I'm thinking if I get ≥510, I will take the Sept test, but I'm just not sure what is wise.

As a pre-med who is a bit freaking out 1.5 week away from the test, I would appreciate any word of wisdom and experience!

Details, if you would like to know more:
1. TPR Core 1: 491
2. TPR Core 2: 494
3. TPR Core 3: 495
4. TPR Core 4: 502, 125/125/124/126
5. TPR Core 5: 500, 125/125/124/126
6. AAMC Sample: 72% average, 71%/81%/59%/78%; "converted" = 505
7. NS FL 1: 508, 127/126/126/129 (very happy until this point)
8. NS FL 4: 502, 126/124/125/127
9. (today) - NS FL 2: 504, 126/126/126/126 (hey, at least an even score)
- Planning to take AAMC Scored and/or NS 4 over next 10 days

Rising 4th year, GPA: 3.74; somewhat above average EC; CA resident; aiming for low and/or mid-tier MD schools.

I would definitely take the AAMC FL scored before making a decision. I am currently in a similar dilemma with similar TPR, NS, and AAMC scores. I took my AAMC unscored yesterday and scored ~70% total. I am shooting for 508-510.

There are a lot of unscored to scored converters all over SDN. I could be wrong... but I think a 72% average is slightly better than a 505. I guess you will never really know what your likely score would be until you take the scored.

Definitely review Biology... see where you went wrong. I scored uncharacteristically low on that section as well. I felt the unscored Biology was very comparable to the section bank and heavy on experimental interpretation.

Keep grinding!!

Funny enough, I just took AAMC Scored exam and I got 502, 127/123/128/124. Did best on C/P and B/B, my worst sections on AAMC Sample test. CARS and P/S felt much more difficult on the scored.

According to the "superscore" of the two AAMC tests (81% percentile on CARS and 78% on P/S on Sample test), I can pull off a 510, which I would be happy with on the real test. However, with only one week left for the exam, I think I'm going to postpone it to January 2017 :(

Do you guys think it's worth grinding out the last week and taking the real exam? I'm just scared I'll have to re-do all the content review and practice exams in a month in a few months, feeling like I wasted the entire summer...

Reactions: 1 user
Funny enough, I just took AAMC Scored exam and I got 502, 127/123/128/124. Did best on C/P and B/B, my worst sections on AAMC Sample test. CARS and P/S felt much more difficult on the scored.

According to the "superscore" of the two AAMC tests (81% percentile on CARS and 78% on P/S on Sample test), I can pull off a 510, which I would be happy with on the real test. However, with only one week left for the exam, I think I'm going to postpone it to January 2017 :(

Do you guys think it's worth grinding out the last week and taking the real exam? I'm just scared I'll have to re-do all the content review and practice exams in a month in a few months, feeling like I wasted the entire summer...

I feel the same way. I know that feeling.
If I got that score on AAMC, I would reschedule since psych/soc is one of the easiest sections to improve. At the end of the day it is your decision! :) You seem good on c/p and bis. Just keep reviewing those and practice CARS and psych hard for the next couple of months.

Reactions: 1 user