Dilemma before school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Premed:)

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

To start off, I will be a sophomore at my university this upcoming fall and will be taking the following courses.
BIO 202 with lab
Gen Chem 2
2 prereq classes
13 total credit hours.

My problem is that I began looking for a job as a PCNA at the end of May and after interviewing with 3 different hiring managers, they finally offered me a job! The only thing is that there is an orientation I must attend that happens to began on the same day school begins and it lasts for two weeks (possibly shorter if I pick up the job duties easily) from 8:00 am - 4:30 pm M-F. This job is essential for me because 1. i need the money and 2. it would be a good EC when applying to med school.

What would you do if you were in my shoes? would you skip the first two weeks of class and study on your own time? would you not even consider having the job? study before school starts?
Any help is appreciated thnx :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you asked your professors if it's okay to arrive a little (<20 min) late to classes? I advise against completely skipping classes for the first 2 weeks. You'll miss participation points and quizzes, and truancy won't look good if you ever want a rec letter from these professors.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you'll be fine. My school lets you transfer into classes all week and that's on a 10 week quarter. Just keep up with studying and maybe email your professors?

Hey everyone,

To start off, I will be a sophomore at my university this upcoming fall and will be taking the following courses.
BIO 202 with lab
Gen Chem 2
2 prereq classes
13 total credit hours.

My problem is that I began looking for a job as a PCNA at the end of May and after interviewing with 3 different hiring managers, they finally offered me a job! The only thing is that there is an orientation I must attend that happens to began on the same day school begins and it lasts for two weeks (possibly shorter if I pick up the job duties easily) from 8:00 am - 4:30 pm M-F. This job is essential for me because 1. i need the money and 2. it would be a good EC when applying to med school.

What would you do if you were in my shoes? would you skip the first two weeks of class and study on your own time? would you not even consider having the job? study before school starts?
Any help is appreciated thnx :)
This is a monday to friday job. I don't know how you handle coursework but this job will not cut you any slack. You won't be able to study or cram for an exam either since this job is hospital related and usually studying at work is a big no-no. Money will come and go but education won't. If you have a strong work ethic that may be ok but understand that hospital jobs are much more grueling than any normal student job. I would not even consider having the job. I would instead pick a job where you can study and also work on the spot. No one will be impressed if you do the job but don't do well in coursework. Usually the younger staff members are expected to take no leaves as they replace hours of those that are missing that day. Even if your coursework is 13 hours, don't EVER underestimate the amount of work you will be made to do. If you can take loans why are you worried about that if eventually you're planning on going to medical school. You'll probably never escape loan taking.

This is a monday to friday job. I don't know how you handle coursework but this job will not cut you any slack. You won't be able to study or cram for an exam either since this job is hospital related and usually studying at work is a big no-no. Money will come and go but education won't. If you have a strong work ethic that may be ok but understand that hospital jobs are much more grueling than any normal student job. I would not even consider having the job. I would instead pick a job where you can study and also work on the spot. No one will be impressed if you do the job but don't do well in coursework. Usually the younger staff members are expected to take no leaves as they replace hours of those that are missing that day. Even if your coursework is 13 hours, don't EVER underestimate the amount of work you will be made to do. If you can take loans why are you worried about that if eventually you're planning on going to medical school. You'll probably never escape loan taking.

the M-F is only for the first two weeks and then i start working only Friday and Saturdays.

the M-F is only for the first two weeks and then i start working only Friday and Saturdays.
not bad, in that case your schedule is completely doable (except for orientation). In that case the most days you'll possibly miss for any one class would be 6 right? That is significant still. I would immediately send an email explaining your circumstance to the professor. I can't gaurantee that professors will prefer that but seeing that it's temporary may not ring a flag. I have had professors that have stated to students that if they have jobs that conflict lecture time then they need to drop the class or drop the school entirely; pretty rude but usually these come from science professors looking to weed students in intro classes.

not bad, in that case your schedule is completely doable (except for orientation). In that case the most days you'll possibly miss for any one class would be 6 right? That is significant still. I would immediately send an email explaining your circumstance to the professor. I can't gaurantee that professors will prefer that but seeing that it's temporary may not ring a flag. I have had professors that have stated to students that if they have jobs that conflict lecture time then they need to drop the class or drop the school entirely; pretty rude but usually these come from science professors looking to weed students in intro classes.

Most I'll be missing for one class is 4. But I probably will email my professors just to let them know. Thanks :)