Army Direct Commission as Major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pannu86

Lost here
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Anyone know what the criteria is to Direct Commission as a Major coming in as a civilian attending? Is it simply coming in 6 years post med school which may include 3 years IM residency and a civilian job after that? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone! Anyone know what the criteria is to Direct Commission as a Major coming in as a civilian attending? Is it simply coming in 6 years post med school which may include 3 years IM residency and a civilian job after that? Thank you.

Depending on the number of years post residency and the military needs for your particular specialty you can direct commission as an 04 or 05.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting! I shook hands of every 0-5 that I met during my in-processing, never realizing they must have cringed inside lol!

Pannu - You are already an 03 right? AD or Reserve? If the question regarding constructive credit is for your situation you may have to go through some sort of 'Board of Corrections' or an administrative review to have it changed.

Yes, you can come in as a direct commission to major so long as six years have passed since graduating medical school and you have worked as a physician during that time period. Residency, fellowship, and attending status all count as working as a physician. You can also direct commission in the Air Force to Lt. Colonel if 12 years have passed. I am not sure about the navy or army.

Hello all,

I realize this thread is 2years old but had a similar question as the OP however with a slight twist. I am a surgery resident at an academic program that’s 7years total of which Ive completed 4years. Prior to that i was in an MDPhD program with my PhD in molecular biology. I am interested in joining the reserves as a general surgeon and was curious about whether this graduate work would qualify me to commission as an O4 even though i am not yet 6y out from med school or should i instead wait to apply/join until I’ve hit that 6y mark? It would seem to me that i could commission as O4 since by the time my residency program is completed and now eligible to be called for service i would be >6 out from med school.

Thanks!

Hello all,

I realize this thread is 2years old but had a similar question as the OP however with a slight twist. I am a surgery resident at an academic program that’s 7years total of which Ive completed 4years. Prior to that i was in an MDPhD program with my PhD in molecular biology. I am interested in joining the reserves as a general surgeon and was curious about whether this graduate work would qualify me to commission as an O4 even though i am not yet 6y out from med school or should i instead wait to apply/join until I’ve hit that 6y mark? It would seem to me that i could commission as O4 since by the time my residency program is completed and now eligible to be called for service i would be >6 out from med school.

Thanks!
no, you don't get credit for stuff you haven't done yet. If you commissioned now, it would be as a captain

no, you don't get credit for stuff you haven't done yet. If you commissioned now, it would be as a captain

Thanks! Appreciate the info. Seems I should just wait and apply alittle later

Yes, you can come in as a direct commission to major so long as six years have passed since graduating medical school and you have worked as a physician during that time period. Residency, fellowship, and attending status all count as working as a physician. You can also direct commission in the Air Force to Lt. Colonel if 12 years have passed. I am not sure about the navy or army.
I don't know the time requirements but as of ayear ago, the army would still direct commission a LTC

I wish constructive credit worked the same for all AMEDD fields not just medical corps.

1 year experience = 03
8-10 years experience = 03

I think a little embarrassment would be worth thousands of dollars.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Genuinely curious, why are you trying to direct commission to O-4? Might be better to come in as a captain and learn the ropes so that by the time you're a major you have all the military stuff (saluting, terms, customs) down pat and won't get caught in an embarrassing situation.

1. Higher rank = Money
2. Higher rank = Incremental immunity to BS
3. Higher rank = Greater willingness for other people to do their job when you need something

The basic military stuff is learned in couple weeks at indoctrination.

Reactions: 2 users
1. Higher rank = Money
2. Higher rank = Incremental immunity to BS
3. Higher rank = Greater willingness for other people to do their job when you need something

Exactly my computer access took 7 days and then still only happened when i went there in person and still got told i was impatient.

Maj walks to two offices and is done in 45 minutes with a smile

To be fair, most of the line officers I know assume that I spent my years as an LT internalizing thousands of Navy doctrines and regulations. The medical corps system where you learn literally nothing about the military unless/until you become a LCDR department head or CDR director seems bizzare to absoltuely everyone else in the military.

I knew one AD dentist who literally forgot how to wear the uniform. She wore nothing but scrubs between ODS and her first admin job as an O4. She put the name tag and rank on the wrong side.