Direct Patient Care Opportunities in NYC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lavitae

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm preparing for the OT program I am applying for and they require direct patient care volunteer/observation hours. Can anyone recommend me any places in New York City that allows volunteers to actually interact with patients? I've contacted a whole bunch of places (especially hospitals) but they mainly allow volunteers to perform clerical work. I also have contacted children based OT sensory gyms and am waiting for their responses.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure about NYC specifically, but have you tried asking about "shadowing" OT's instead of "volunteering?" I know I ran into that problem while I was trying to get hours, some places don't allow volunteers to interact with patients, but they allow students who are shadowing to help with care. Just a suggestion you could try.

I have tried using the term "shadowing" but they would respond in the same manner :/ My program prefers direct care volunteering hours, though, to ensure hands on experience.

I stumbled upon a hands-on experience in a pediatric setting last summer. Send me a PM and I'll be happy to share the details with you.