Direct Primary Care Curriculum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AtlasMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been asked to post this:

Direct Primary Care occupies a blind spot in formal medical education. As a faculty physician in a family medicine residency program, I believe that if the DPC movement is to have meaningful long-term growth among today’s students and residents, it needs to be included in the curriculum at both the medical school and residency levels.

To this end, I am working on building a DPC curriculum for residencies, with the goals of 1) providing a thorough understanding of the DPC culture of care, and 2) providing resources and direction to residents who may be interested in future DPC practice. To develop this curriculum, I am seeking input via the attached survey from FM-trained DPC physicians who are relatively close to their residency years.

If you are a family medicine-trained DPC physician who 1) began practicing in the DPC model within 5 years of residency graduation, and 2) have been in your DPC practice for no more than 5 years, please consider supporting the future of DPC by completing the attached anonymous survey. It should take about three minutes to complete, and it will be invaluable in the creation of a meaningful DPC residency curriculum! The survey will be open until Friday, March 6th.

The link to the survey is:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/ST2GSBT

Thank you for your help!

James Breen, MD

Cone Health Family Medicine Residency Program

Greensboro, NC

[email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I am a family practitioner practicing in Fremont CA since 1992. I serve a huge indigent population of mixed ethnic groups. I have to warn the new student that are planing to get to primary care medicine. Talking good about serving people is one thing but delivering it is different. The new health care system does not leave any room for me to practice the passion of medicine. The essence of helping patients for us is time and peace of mind. With the new changes in health care both are lacking and is getting more and more crunched. Medi-cal of California pays $21.00 for a 15 min office visit. This is only for face to face management and half of it gets wasted looking at computer monitor instead of patient. With the new requirement of EMR it takes another 5-10 min charting and satisfying many elements in the notes that have no meaningful benefit for patients well being. With spending 25 min on the patients management for only $21.00 there would be no peace of mind nor time time to deliver world class medicine to the patients. Dr Ebrahim Ahmadi.

I'm just dropping by as a student to say this is needed. We had guest lecture from a hospital CEO who when asked about DPC said that it was a folly for the rich who could afford to spend $10k/yr on a doctor who didn't want to work with normal patients....<----almost a literal quote.

It is important to get better information out there to students because that is the kind of lies being peddled to them until the truth shows up

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just dropping by as a student to say this is needed. We had guest lecture from a hospital CEO who when asked about DPC said that it was a folly for the rich who could afford to spend $10k/yr on a doctor who didn't want to work with normal patients....<----almost a literal quote.

It is important to get better information out there to students because that is the kind of lies being peddled to them until the truth shows up

haha well thats not to surprising since most hospital CEOs kind of depend on this not working out as well for them. I bet they also dont like that http://surgerycenterok.com/ is doing surgeries for a fraction of the cost of the traditional system.

If he still thinks that dpc = concierge = 10k/pt/yr then he's probably still on his palm pilot. DPC = New Concierge = affordable for the masses. I charge $10/kids and $50/adults for unlimited visits, no copays, free procedures, and wholesale meds/labs/path/imaging. Not to mention we help employers decrease premiums by 30-60%!

So i'll just let the dinosaur CEOs keep on thinking that they know more than they do....and we'll keep on innovating to help our patients :)

oh and all of our startup material is free online www.atlas.md/starter and don't forget We also have a blog and podcast to help answer common questions. .atlas.md/blog
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/atlas-md/id674138661

Reactions: 1 users
I am a family practitioner practicing in Fremont CA since 1992. I serve a huge indigent population of mixed ethnic groups. I have to warn the new student that are planing to get to primary care medicine. Talking good about serving people is one thing but delivering it is different. The new health care system does not leave any room for me to practice the passion of medicine. The essence of helping patients for us is time and peace of mind. With the new changes in health care both are lacking and is getting more and more crunched. Medi-cal of California pays $21.00 for a 15 min office visit. This is only for face to face management and half of it gets wasted looking at computer monitor instead of patient. With the new requirement of EMR it takes another 5-10 min charting and satisfying many elements in the notes that have no meaningful benefit for patients well being. With spending 25 min on the patients management for only $21.00 there would be no peace of mind nor time time to deliver world class medicine to the patients. Dr Ebrahim Ahmadi.

Doc you nailed it - you just can't get paid for doing good care any more -- and thats 0k -- its just showing how broken the system is and why we need a better solution and DPC is the solution.

better care, more access, less regulation and ITS CHEAPER! woot! :)

Feel free to contact me directly anytime either by email or cell. [email protected] and C 316.734.8096 if i can help you.

Late in 2014, I recall an email (from Benjamin Rush society, I think) where a professor at a "large northeastern university" was anonymously reporting that the Dean had forbidden any talk of any alternatives to increasing government control of medicine. I thought I saved it but now I can't find it..

Beware the statists. They DO NOT WANT people to have any choice and will fight to the death to increase government control of health care

Reactions: 1 user
Late in 2014, I recall an email (from Benjamin Rush society, I think) where a professor at a "large northeastern university" was anonymously reporting that the Dean had forbidden any talk of any alternatives to increasing government control of medicine. I thought I saved it but now I can't find it..

Beware the statists. They DO NOT WANT people to have any choice and will fight to the death to increase government control of health care
i'd love to see that link!

Yeah, I've spent some time looking that email but I can't find it. Musta deleted it. I would have posted it here for sure.