disability

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweetalkr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have sat down with a financial advisor and they recommended disability insurance. considering i ski and travel, i figure I need it.

any suggestions? I was recommended Union Central, The Standard, and Guardian.

Thanks again as always

Members don't see this ad.

make sure you intensely and obsessivley parse out what each really means by "own occupation", and make sure you knwo what "mental and nervous" covers an ddoesn't cover...back in teh day guardian and berkshire were the only 2 to consider based upon the above...also look at what states mental and nervous is not covered in...most docs think they won't go out on mental and nervous but it is the most common because it includes things you wouldn't expect

Members don't see this ad :)
I would recommend guardian/berkshire, they have the best policy for docs. if you need help getting more information, let me know.

2nd Guardian. Great own-occ.

Important factors aside of own occupation and good company(as they were already quoted) is to know that majority of disabled people are disabled for less then 90 days and that most affordable policies have 90 days start.That is enough time to lose good part of your practice if you break your shoulder while skiing(happened to friend of mine in first 6 months of solo practice) you have a buddy to cover you and to do your procedures even once a week.If you have disability that lasts more then 90 days there is good chance that it may be permanent and your insurance even in the best case may not cover all your expenses. My understanding is up to 10 k per month is most common with ability to go to 12 k or 15.