Disabling Facebook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tkuhug

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is everyone's opinion on disabling check-ins, pictures, on Facebook? I just submitted a couple of applications and I have done my fair share of partying with some pictures on Facebook, ha

Members don't see this ad.

You should probably just clean up your facebook. I used to post things like that but after a year in college I realized that was not professional in any way. And since you're applying to a PROFESSIONAL school there is a chance they might check in on that.

We've had several talks at admit day and orientation and since about maintaining a professional public persona. That includes social media. No more "funny" pictures of you drunk at parties, acting crudely, etc.

A few faculty members have said that they will google/facebook people who apply to their labs so I'm sure this includes admissions people.

Members don't see this ad :)
Admissions people aren't the only ones you should be worried about seeing your Facebook profile. If you plan to professionally network with potential employers and co-workers and corporate reps as an optometry student and as an optometrist, think about what your Facebook profile says about you. Social media makes a pretty big first impression these days.

Consider making sure your privacy settings are up to snuff and think about joining a professional network like LinkedIn.

Would pictures of something like dressing up as a brand of liquor for halloween need to be deleted?

Reactions: 1 user
just put your pics on private where only you can see them. that's what i did lol

depends on what brand... if you kept it classy like a nice 21 yr old Glenfiddich, I'd reckon you'd earn brownie points.

I don't think it matters too much, just be yourself, keep it professional.