Disadvantage Feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carla-e

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I decided to apply as disadvantage. Below is just a first draft of what I am going to put in my application. It is not all cohesive, but just a good enough glimpse.

I only put what happened. I did not put so much of what I learned from it, except in the closing sentence.

Let me know

Lived with father
Mother had moved to help support the family
At age 5
Lived in a volatile area
Saw mother once a year
Was up until high school

At the age of five (5) my parents had come to a decision. My mother would make the leap and move to American to secure a better life for my brother and I, and the family at large. The decision was made because government assistance was hard to come by and there were few other ways to secure supplemental income. For those years, I had to step in when necessary to cater to my daily needs such as making breakfast and sending myself off to school. This was mainly because of my father’s ever changing schedule as a tour bus operator and him having to take advantage of peak season. We were lucky to never go hungry, but it was very hard on us when kids would mock us saying that our mother had 'abandoned' us. The community that we lived in was quite small and most people knew each other, but there was ongoing gang rivalry with other area dons. For that reason we moved out of a two bedroom tenant house with six (6) other people when I was nine (9). It was difficult taking on certain adult responsibilities at a young age, but I do credit it for helping me in realizing that the world does not owe any one person anything.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: