Disadvantaged Status Essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

[Future]DrPrincess

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would someone mind looking over the essay portion of the "disadvantaged status" designation for my AMCAS application? Is this strong enough? Also, I am at 1517 characters; it needs to be trimmed to 1325 so if you have any ideas of what to cut out, I would appreciate that as well. I welcome any feedback, thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Try to police the urge to pseudo-narrate. The way it reads now feels like a twenty-one year long exaggeration based on two or three experiences. I'm not saying that is true, but that is the undertone I experienced. A shorter statement that clearly articulates the facts of your adolescent living conditions would be more impactful.

My two cents, Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Interested to hear others responses. I felt like I understood your particular context.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Would someone mind looking over the essay portion of the "disadvantaged status" designation for my AMCAS application? Is this strong enough? Also, I am at 1517 characters; it needs to be trimmed to 1325 so if you have any ideas of what to cut out, I would appreciate that as well. I welcome any feedback, thank you in advance!

When we initially moved to _______ ______, my father started a job as a landscaper for a wealthy man who owned land there. For a few years, my parents were able to pay their bills with no problems, albeit with a little help from food stamps. However, when my father’s employer became ill, at the age of 10 I found a letter on the door telling us that we had 7 days to vacate. The landscaping job was the last consistent work that my father had. Since then, my parents have been participating in 6-8 week “outages” at a power plant, where they work 12 hours a day, 6 days a week, and then live off of the unemployment for the rest of the year. Between outages, my father does small construction jobs: painting, refurbishing rooms and anything else he can get; my mother feverishly tries to keep up with the bills, constantly requesting extensions and prioritizing electricity over water. The only food that we had in the house came from food stamps. However, my parents have never stopped working, never gave up hope. My father would come home with head lacerations, covered in soot and sweat, exhausted and would shower and wake up at 5 am for work the next day. My mother has applied for hundreds of steady jobs, trying to get us out of this poverty. They have sacrificed for me for 21 years. From them, I have learned the meaning of hard work, which has propelled me through my college years and has allowed me to stay dedicated to my aim of providing medical care to people in rural areas like _______ ______.

You can cut out most of the last couple sentences. This is an essay to establish your disadvantaged status, not a personal statement.

does this edit make it short enough?

When we initially moved to _______ ______, my father had a job as a landscaper for a wealthy landowner. When I was 10, the landowner became ill and we had 7 days to vacate the premises. That was the last consistent work that my father had. Since then, my parents have found temporary work when a local power plant is shut down for maintenance. This means 6 to 8 weeks of 12 hour days followed by unemployment for the rest of the year. My father picks up small construction jobs and my mother feverishly tries to keep up with the bills. We depend on food stamps given our household income. However, my parents have never stopped working, never gave up hope. From them, I have learned the meaning of hard work, which has propelled me through my college years and has allowed me to stay dedicated to my aim of providing medical care to people in rural areas like _______ ______.

Yes! @LizzyM do you think that it is a strong enough case for being disadvantaged?

Your parents are working class and of an income low enough that you qualify for federal food aid. Your dad has had 10 years of underemployment. That seems like a situation that set you up to start college at a disadvantage compared with most college students.

Your parents are working class and of an income low enough that you qualify for federal food aid. Your dad has had 10 years of underemployment. That seems like a situation that set you up to start college at a disadvantage compared with most college students.
Makes me feel like I should've put down disadvantaged status. I think that by not doing so, schools assume my family amassed a fortune and we were not struggling with a 30k/year household income.