Disadvantaged Status: Unique Circumstance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

When the Moon Forgot

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
(Content redacted to preserve anonymity)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think there was another thread about this recently... I think you've got the right idea

Reactions: 1 user
I think there was another thread about this recently... I think you've got the right idea
You are right. When I started to read this I checked the date because there is a very similar thread on here someplace. But OP you have the right idea.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
(Content redacted to preserve anonymity)

Last edited:
7 digits since elementary school? Might go ahead and leave the disadvantaged box blank ;)

Reactions: 4 users
No worries that's what it's for! If you scroll back a few pages you may be able to find the other thread.

It was about an Indian guy who's family went from impoverished to be hedge fund managers or something

I understand that "disadvantaged status" refers to age 0-18, but my family's circumstance is quite unique.

From birth to age 10, my family was clearly disadvantaged (father had no income, mother's salary as a teacher in my home country was about $12,000 back then, family of four, lack of access to education, lots of household debt, mortgage, lots of medical expenditures, etc).

From age 10 onward, my family's income shot up to over seven digits per year (for circumstances I won't explain on this public forum). Things changed literally overnight. Disadvantaged status no longer applied from age 10 to 18. I had to work much harder than everyone else to catch up but I ended up doing well (went to a top school, top PhD program, 100% family contribution to college, no debt).

My plan is to not declare myself as a disadvantaged applicant but simply include family incomes before and after age 10 in the "additional information" section of each secondary application. Adcom will know why there is such a huge difference in income through my personal statement. I'm not seeking financial aid for medical school and I will be able to graduate debt-free.

Any suggestions? Does this sound reasonable?

congrats on the II's! you're killing it

Reactions: 1 users