Disadvantages of waiting?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rose Tyler

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the disadvantages of waiting another year to apply? Little background: I applied last cycle without luck, graduated in May, and am now staring down into another application cycle. I’m thinking about skipping this one, mostly for financial reasons but also in the hope of improving my application. I don’t have any research experience in my actual interest areas, for starters. I'd wanted to do that over the summer but unfortunately wasn't able to. I understand how I spend the year will make the most difference but are there any other things I should consider? Am I likely to lose most (or all) of my LORs from undergrad?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are actually improving your CV/application, not much disadvantage really. I'd just contact people who you think you want to write a letter and explain the situation and ask if they'd be willing to write one when you apply the following year.

Reactions: 1 user
What are the disadvantages of waiting another year to apply? Little background: I applied last cycle without luck, graduated in May, and am now staring down into another application cycle. I’m thinking about skipping this one, mostly for financial reasons but also in the hope of improving my application. I don’t have any research experience in my actual interest areas, for starters. I'd wanted to do that over the summer but unfortunately wasn't able to. I understand how I spend the year will make the most difference but are there any other things I should consider? Am I likely to lose most (or all) of my LORs from undergrad?

A loss of a year?

Does that matter to you from a life goals point of view?