disagreeing RPHs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icekitsune

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have you guys experienced or is part of a pharmacy group where you and another rph or seen two rph, disagree with each other to the point where its kinda ridiculous. My situation is not that extreme but we disagree on control dispensing. I understand its ultimately the person on that day will decide if cs should be filled or not. But sometimes I wonder why she is so lax and she tells me that I'm too strict on it. Since she is my pic and worked in pharmacy for 40 years FT vs me as a new grad PT , not sure if I should consider that as suggestion to run it her way or just ignore it and continue to run it how i want to despite me being there for only 20 hrs per week,

Members don't see this ad.

You will be the bad guys if you are too strict in the pharmacy; all your CS customers will ask to talk for your PIC instead of you "She did it for me". There are a couple options:
  1. Easy: Follow her rules 100%, blame it on her if **** happens. "Well, I am following my boss"
  2. Dick move: Go above her and ask her sup, how many days early CS can be filled, cc the answer to your PIC.
  3. Best: Talk to her, compromise and set a common rule that will be followed by all Rphs.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There all sorts of borderline personality disorder people in all areas of pharmacy. However, it seems that I have seen far more of these people in clinical areas than I did in retail. Just an observation, not sure if it is true. There is definitely some downright rotten behavior that employees display in hospitals. That said, I have witnessed a few immature shouting matches in retail. Ego happens everywhere, but many of the alpha dog egos gravitate to hospital pharmacy. These egos tend to implode when they don't get what they want, and they cut people down to prove a point.

There all sorts of borderline personality disorder people in all areas of pharmacy. However, it seems that I have seen far more of these people in clinical areas than I did in retail. Just an observation, not sure if it is true. There is definitely some downright rotten behavior that employees display in hospitals. That said, I have witnessed a few immature shouting matches in retail. Ego happens everywhere, but many of the alpha dog egos gravitate to hospital pharmacy. These egos tend to implode when they don't get what they want, and they cut people down to prove a point.
Totally agree. I'm temporary in hospital and had a pharmacist be an ass to me today. It had to do with some levalbuterol that she was ordering due to a partial fill. She basically humiliates me, speaks loudly in the pharmacy to let everyone know I made a mistake and makes it appear as though I can't calculate. To make a long story short, there were two levalbuterols in the computer and she was looking at the wrong one. She was wrong and when she realized this she shut up and didn't say anything else.....she had to have felt really small. She didn't even apologize.

I agree with momus, it's best for partners to be on the same page and that a mutual decision should be made. But at the end of the day, It's your license on the line, not yours.

Have you guys experienced or is part of a pharmacy group where you and another rph or seen two rph, disagree with each other to the point where its kinda ridiculous. My situation is not that extreme but we disagree on control dispensing. I understand its ultimately the person on that day will decide if cs should be filled or not. But sometimes I wonder why she is so lax and she tells me that I'm too strict on it. Since she is my pic and worked in pharmacy for 40 years FT vs me as a new grad PT , not sure if I should consider that as suggestion to run it her way or just ignore it and continue to run it how i want to despite me being there for only 20 hrs per week,

2 possibilities, as a new grad you are may be missing all the gray areas and making things black and white, or as an old RPH, she is from the days when nobody worried too much about controlled's and if she is near retirement she just may not care anymore. Or perhaps you are both wrong to some degree. Ultimately, its your license, and you need to do what you feel comfortable doing it with. If you practiced laxly and got in trouble, blaming it on your boss would not be a strategy that would work in court, you would be responsible. Ideally, you guys could talk this out, find out what is the rational for her making the decisions towards control's that she does, and you could explain your rational for your decisions, and together the two of you would find a solution that you could both agree with (but this is the ideal.) More likely, you two will just have to accept each other decisions...I've been on both ends, I've refused to fill prescriptions that were then filled by the next RPH on duty, and I've also seen prescriptions that a previous RPH refused to fill and couldn't understand any reason why, so I filled them. It really isn't anything to stress out about, if she fills a prescription the next day that you refused, then the onus is on her (and likewise if you are in the situation where you are filling a prescription that a previous RPH has refused, as long as you can justify it, then fill it and don't worry about hurt feelings.)