Disciplinary Probation Effect on Residency - 6 Year Medical Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudent2648

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
laksd

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Depends on if it shows up in your dean's letter. Seems like it at least has a shot to show up in the 'professionalism' section. I'd see if I could talk to a Dean (or whoever writes the Dean's letter) and see if it can be removed as it was a relatively inconsequential issue back in undergrad (as opposed to cheating on a test or something).

Reactions: 1 user
it looks like you have shown how you have learned from it and are trying to make amends for it... i'm sure that will help you if this does show up on your dean's letter...

Members don't see this ad :)
Why did they put you on probation until your 4th year?

Why did they put you on probation until your 4th year?
I believe it was bc it was a disciplinary probation not an academic one. I'm guessing when he says 4th year, it's 4 out of 6 years. so really 2nd year of med school.

What program are you in?

Sounds like you have a good handle on it and can explain it well even if it does show up. The no excuses + lots of contrition works well for these youthful lapses in judgment. Just don't ever start making excuses or downplaying it; I'd frame it is a personal failing you feel terrible about, one that woke you up the tiny ways people compromise their own integrity and made you demand of yourself an even higher standard of character. Er, something to that effect.

I've known people who matched well in competitive fields with far more colorful things on their apps! Just make sure this one little blip is just that and not part of a larger pattern. Since it technically happened before the med school part of your schooling, I think you have a strong chance that it won't show up on your MSPE. No dean's office WANTS to put bad stuff down if they don't have to, and if this happened prior to you actually being a medical student then maybe that's enough to keep it quiet.

Sounds like you have a good handle on it and can explain it well even if it does show up. The no excuses + lots of contrition works well for these youthful lapses in judgment. Just don't ever start making excuses or downplaying it; I'd frame it is a personal failing you feel terrible about, one that woke you up the tiny ways people compromise their own integrity and made you demand of yourself an even higher standard of character. Er, something to that effect.

I've known people who matched well in competitive fields with far more colorful things on their apps! Just make sure this one little blip is just that and not part of a larger pattern. Since it technically happened before the med school part of your schooling, I think you have a strong chance that it won't show up on your MSPE. No dean's office WANTS to put bad stuff down if they don't have to, and if this happened prior to you actually being a medical student then maybe that's enough to keep it quiet.
Yes, but with a professionalism violation for academic dishonesty on your MSPE? He says it's in an integrated 6 year med program.

https://www.aamc.org/download/64496/data/mspeguide.pdf
Was this student the recipient of any adverse actions(s) by the medical school or its parent institution? ❏ No ❏ Yes

Yes, but with a professionalism violation for academic dishonesty on your MSPE? He says it's in an integrated 6 year med program.

https://www.aamc.org/download/64496/data/mspeguide.pdf
Was this student the recipient of any adverse actions(s) by the medical school or its parent institution? ❏ No ❏ Yes

Yeah it will probably go in there, but the right letter writer may loosely interpret the intention of that question only to include items from the medical school portion of his coursework. Granted, as written it should be disclosed and not disclosing would be a legal liability for the school, but he just might get lucky.

Even so, I think it would be a relatively minor blip given his age at the time and blemish-free record (presumably) since then. Spun the right way it could even fit well into a narrative of coming of age, learning the importance of character, reaching out to help others not make the same mistake, etc.

Personally, I'm just glad that nothing stupid from my late teens can be included in mine! I'm especially glad that I graduated undergrad before Facebook, instagram, and camera phones existed ;)

Reactions: 1 users
lol i don't really understand the whole " it doesn't reflect on my character" thing. you chose to do it, so by nature, it reflects on your character. regardless, it's not going to be a big deal and it's probably better that this happened during undergrad rather than med school.

Reactions: 1 users
lol i don't really understand the whole " it doesn't reflect on my character" thing. you chose to do it, so by nature, it reflects on your character. regardless, it's not going to be a big deal and it's probably better that this happened during undergrad rather than med school.
Except he's on probation till the end of his 4th year which would be the end of his MS-2 year, so likely it would be something put on his MSPE as OP states he goes to an integrated 6 year program.

Reactions: 1 user