disciplinary trouble with college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yg1786

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys

i just wanted to kno how certain sanctions ive received by my undergrad will affect ERAS and applying. when i was a frosh, i got caught drinking underage twice, once by a cop and once by the college itself when i was very very sick. anyway, the ticket i received by the police was dismissed in court and the college gave me written "sanctions" that are kept in record. will i have to tell medical schools about this (sanctions and ticket)? will they get copies of the sanctions (and all of the embarrassing details)? is this a big deal or no that will even b brought up?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm thinking no biggie. I think they are asking about dishonesty/integrity based sanctions, think: value judgment. How does this sanction reflect on you as a person? You drank as a freshman in college? Oh my! So long as you show you are now a mature person, you should have no problems.

On AMCAS, you'll have to check off a box that asks if you've ever had "institutional action" and then you'll have a little box to explain why. Just be honest, and say what you've learned from it, and they probably won't care. I wouldn't try to hide it though; I doubt many med schools would care that it happened, but I wouldn't be surprised if med schools would completely throw out your application if they found out you were hiding it.

Members don't see this ad :)
yea, i guess ill have to admit it. my biggest concern is that they will actually get a copy of the sanction, which contains some embarrassing series of events. also, im a little worried that the more "prestigious" institutions will look down upon this. anyone have any experience with this situation?

diosa428 said:
On AMCAS, you'll have to check off a box that asks if you've ever had "institutional action" and then you'll have a little box to explain why. Just be honest, and say what you've learned from it, and they probably won't care. I wouldn't try to hide it though; I doubt many med schools would care that it happened, but I wouldn't be surprised if med schools would completely throw out your application if they found out you were hiding it.

question on "institutional action".

Does academic probation count under this category when filling out AMCAS? If anyone knows, that would be of great help.