Discount Cards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Albo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have seen more discount cards than the number of the medications that exists. I know they make the profit by billing the pharmacy for a processing fee when you bill them. How profitable are these discount cards? How hard is to open your own? Lets at least have us the pharmacist rip off the chains with this crap.

Members don't see this ad.

I give a discount on all counseling I provide. Its free of charge.

they will be phased out as everyone is required to have health insurance.

I have seen more discount cards than the number of the medications that exists. I know they make the profit by billing the pharmacy for a processing fee when you bill them. How profitable are these discount cards? How hard is to open your own? Lets at least have us the pharmacist rip off the chains with this crap.

They get anywhere from 1.50 to 3 dollars per scripts billed... which is very profitable. because they have no overhead. We are giving them money for doing nothing... (although they see it as commission for bring in scripts to a pharmacy).

It is illegal for most pharmacists to do this because of kickback laws. If not illegal in law, most companies forbid you from making money off this. In addition, most card program wont let you sign up if you work for any pharmacy for said kickback laws.