Discouraged. Age in dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

everfwd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, im currently 23 and just about to attend a SMP in the Fall '15 hoping to be applied this coming June '15 cycle but seriously not hopeful because my gpa stats will need the help post-SMP, for dental schools to see the changes in my gpa. Therefore, I am most probably going to have to finish my SMP and apply June '16 which makes matriculating Aug '17.

I will be 25 as D1 and idk why but that feels old because im only 23 and i have 23 year old friends going on to D2. I'm a special case in a career/track changer and feel pressure from parents being the youngest child with older established siblings and having older immigrant parents. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You'll be a D1 at 25 so dentist at 29. You'll still have at least 35 years to practice. I'll be turning 33 this year 4 days before welcome week at NYU.....36 when I graduate...still 30 years left to practice. I don't regret a thing.

Reactions: 10 users
Hey guys, im currently 23 and just about to attend a SMP in the Fall '15 hoping to be applied this coming June '15 cycle but seriously not hopeful because my gpa stats will need the help post-SMP, for dental schools to see the changes in my gpa. Therefore, I am most probably going to have to finish my SMP and apply June '16 which makes matriculating Aug '17.

I will be 25 as D1 and idk why but that feels old because im only 23 and i have 21 year old friends going on to D2. I'm a special case in a career/track changer and feel pressure from parents being the youngest child with older established siblings and having older immigrant parents. Any advice?

21year olds going on to D2???

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What you're experiencing is common because as one gets further away from high school ones life experiences become increasingly divergent from their peers. You will be starting dental school a few years later than others but I would not let that discourage you; I guarantee you will not be the oldest person in your class.

My advice is to go for it if you want to be a dentist and extract the most out of your prolonged educational experience that you can. What you're beginning to experience, the divergence between your life and others, will grow in magnitude as you get older; after dental school some of your classmates will be successful while others will not, some will have great marriages while others will not, some will become disabled or die while others remain healthy and practice for a full career, etc.

In light of that broader perspective doesn't it seem a little silly to get hung up over a few years? It will play no role in most of your life's successes or failures.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
I am currently a 2nd year dental student and I am once of the few that came in straight from college. I would say less than a third of us did. Our oldest starting student was 34 and the majority of people either took a year or two off of had other jobs that they decided to leave and go back to school for. Be old, get married, have kids, work multiple jobs, do whatever you want and you will still fit right in with everyone else. There's a guy a year ahead of me with his MD. He practiced and didn't like it and came back. He's older than you so you'll be good

I'm 25 bro. Relax. 3 years behind a traditional applicant is a drop compared to the time you will be working.

25? Lol that's so old. By the time you graduate, you are ready to save up for a coffin.

Reactions: 4 users
I'll be starting school at 28. I don't understand what the OP is going on about.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm starting at 26 with an elementary school aged child. I totally get feeling old but remember, it's just a perception that you're feeling from the societal expectation that a "normal" DDS/MD/DO/JD/PhD matriculant is 21-23. The feeling will pass when you get there and realize that no one can smell the "old" on you. You'll be in the same cultural cohort as your slightly younger classmates so it's not like you're going to be shaking a stick at them and telling them to get off your stoop/lawn.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty much every BYU student going into dental school is going to be 24 or 25 due to the missions we go on, it's not abnormal. In fact many schools that is more normal than 22 year olds.

I am 38. I have a 23 year old daughter that is getting her master's. And a 17 year old starting undergrad to become a middle school teacher. YOU. ARE. NOT. OLD.

Reactions: 9 users
I am 38. I have a 23 year old daughter that is getting her master's. And a 17 year old starting undergrad to become a middle school teacher. YOU. ARE. NOT. OLD.

YEAH!

Your body is not old.... But ya spirit is....

Go do some yoga, and hang out with some older people.

Reactions: 2 users
I will be starting D1 at 25 too (hopefully). Don't let it get to you, besides most women love older men ;)

Reactions: 4 users
I will be starting D1 at 25 too (hopefully). Don't let it get to you, besides most women love older men ;)
Yesssss

Now Us Old men are happy....

LETS go old people !

Reactions: 1 users
I will be starting D1 at 37. It's all good.....you just bring more life skills to the table.

Reactions: 6 users
Your age may be above the average age for D1s but you are certainly not old. We have a 58 year old guy in our class (last trimester of D1)

I'm 32 and have 2 girls under the age of 5. I feel like 23 though :p can't wait to start my d1 in the fall at the Ohio State University!

I'm a D2 and 35. Seriously, you need to relax. 3 of my classmates are over 40

Reactions: 3 users
I have a 42 year old in my D1 class. He couldn't be more excited to start his new career. You have so much time.

I'm 30 and plan on applying to dental school in 2 years after I wrap up my BA and sit for the exam. No one is ever too old especially for a change in career.

I'm 88 years old....... I'm so happy I allowed back to school....

Woo hoo!

Thanks to all feel so much better, i know late reply but i have been coming back to this post when i do feel discouraged. Being of indian background our parents jump at any opportunity to criticize or compare ones progress to another indian kid's

I'm not Indian but believe me, I absolutely know how you feel. With respect to the parents I don't know if they'll necessarily stop when they are happy with where you are or if it will keep up. I know mine are really enjoying where my sibling and I are in life and as a result have mellowed out hardcore.

I am 12, what is this thread about??

Status
Not open for further replies.