Discouraged

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

feedmeATP

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been feeling discouraged about pharmacy lately. I'm currently 25 years old..with my cumulative and science GPA around 3.18..and my PCAT score at 76. I work as a pharmacy technician and I have pharmacy-related volunteer experience. ..but this wil be my second time applyin and I dont know if I should go fourth with it since its so late in the application cycle. I want to become a pharmacist but I feel I'm just not competitive enough. If i don't apply this year, i will definitly try again next year with a better application ..what do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been feeling discouraged about pharmacy lately. I'm currently 25 years old..with my cumulative and science GPA around 3.18..and my PCAT score at 76. I work as a pharmacy technician and I have pharmacy-related volunteer experience. ..but this wil be my second time applyin and I dont know if I should go fourth with it since its so late in the application cycle. I want to become a pharmacist but I feel I'm just not competitive enough. If i don't apply this year, i will definitly try again next year with a better application ..what do you think?

I don't know if this is true but I heard somewhere that some schools prefer students who are reapplying since it shows that they are serious about becoming pharmacists. I would think all that pharmacy experience would look awesome on an application as well. What I'm doing is continuing on with the bachelor's just in case I don't get in, and accepting whatever happens since I know that I gave it my all. Good luck!

Even though it's late, I believe that if you don't try again this year, you've already lost another opportunity of possibly getting accepted. It's better to make the investment and see what the future holds, so don't be discouraged because anything could happen. Besides, you seem to have a lot of experience to back you up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Being discouraged is my middle name, so I get how you're feeling...I think if you really want it bad enough, you'll make it happen...don't give up...if your application is stronger than last year than you're on the right track!

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time."

A PCAT of 76 and a 3.18 is not bad at all. Do you have a degree already? And its not too late to apply for schools....in fact many would say its still early. Apply to as many schools as you can, I think your stats are descent enough that you can get interviews.

it's not too late until the deadline passed. to me, i still consider now to be early =)

Late? Whatever gave you the idea that it's "so late in the application cycle"? This is pharmacy school, not med school. Like jiiniix2 says, it's not late until the deadline has passed. You have plenty of time, so send in your applications, chop, chop.

There are schools whose GPA and PCAT cutoffs you meet, I'm sure of it. Don't be afraid to apply very broadly.

Never forget that Gpa and pcat is only the half of it. If they believe you will be an asset to the profesion they will give you a chance. That is where your voluenter and Ecs come into play. Never give up if you give a pass on this year it will be harder to keep going next year.

A PCAT of 76 and a 3.18 is not bad at all. Do you have a degree already? And its not too late to apply for schools....in fact many would say its still early. Apply to as many schools as you can, I think your stats are descent enough that you can get interviews.

Yes, I have my BS in Biochem. It was a while back in 2007 though.

Thanks for all the encouragement, i think i will keep pushing for it. hopefully u'll hear good news from me in the next post. : ) Gluck everyone! Happy writing and waiting

Wait, why do people think it's late to apply?
I'm applying to three schools and their deadlines aren't until December 1st...

a lot of the schools I'm applyin have their applications due on 11/3

"never give up, never surrender!"

Sweetheart try being 29 years old, with 3 kids a B.S. in biological sciences back in 2003, 2.88 overall GPA, returning to school in 2006 to take senior level sciences to boost undergrad GPA, got 4.0 both semesters, a research publication under your belt, experience working in three pharmacies and STILL CAN'T GET INTO PHARMACY SCHOOL. Some school are straight up telling you that you don't have a snow ball's chance in hell of getting in look for another career.

Trust me, I've been there and still working towards studying for the PCAT and possibly retaking some chemistry classes. You are young just keep going and don't let ANYONE stop you!

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm going to have to disagree with everyone here, giving up is not a bad thing and infact sometimes (more often than not), giving up is the better choice.

No point in dragging out a losing battle, you should know when to cut your losses.

That said, its not completley over for you yet. If you at least show you have had a recent upward trent then that will help but I think more important then even that would be your PCAT score and getting some sort of degree.

I can tottaly see you getting in with an 80 PCAT + 3.2 gpa + degree, if you apply early and to enough places.

I feel discourage too, I know how you feel, but you have a better chance than me...don't give up, you might regret it, I feel like giving up sometimes too, but I don't want to regret it in the future. It's better to try your best and give up when it comes to the end of the road than never trying at all...

I feel discourage too, I know how you feel, but you have a better chance than me...don't give up, you might regret it, I feel like giving up sometimes too, but I don't want to regret it in the future. It's better to try your best and give up when it comes to the end of the road than never trying at all...

KUDOS KUDOS KUDOS!!! It's not like you are in my boat, you are better off than some of us. You just have to find the school that really peaks your interest and do what you have to to get into that school. See if they will do a transcript evaluation or something of this nature so that you will be on the right track.

Don't worry, I've been feeling discouraged as well. The one thing that got to me was a pre-med student I know didn't get accepted into his med school and opted for pharmacy school... the school I got rejected from. A year later, he dropped out because it "wasn't as fun or easy" as he thought it'd be.

-.-

It's never too late to try again, and I think you should mention your determination in applying... and probably add what these past few years have taught you. Best of luck.

Try being 32 with one kid, working fulltime and going to school fulltime, so I have no social life LOL...Don't give up if pharmacy is your passion fullfill it or you will be miserable the rest of your life. I'm going to include you in my prayers that you make it in this year just DON"T GIVE UP :)

Don't be discouraged, I have worse stats and I got into pharmacy school.

I hear people tell me that all the time. Do you mind sharing with us your stats?

I'm in the similar boat, I didn't do as good in my undergrad studies. I'm returning to finish up all my pre-pharm pre-reqs and so far I bombed my first O-chem test, so I'm feeling a little discourage as well.

You could apply to schools with lower application/acceptance pool stats. You are definitely on par with acceptees at some places. I disagree with the above opinion that you won't get in if you don't apply this season. Your life is yours to do what you want with and school administrators know that. If you want to try now, go for it. If you feel like you'd like to work on your application first, do it. If you do apply this year, definitely have your references save what they submitted so they don't have to start from scratch next year. You don't want to burn out a reference.

School stats are available here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=1853597&postcount=35

Studying for and retaking the PCAT may be an easy and inexpensive way to raise your applications stats. Your score is decent. But, you would feel alot more confident and set yourself apart more from other applicants if you got it up above an 80.

3.14 Overall GPA
2.9 Math/Science GPA

Those GPAs are NOT PHARMCAS GPAs. My PharmCAS GPAs are:
2.9 Overall
2.5 Math/Science

PCAT - 73 overall w/ 96 in Bio
2+ Yrs Work Exp
Volunteered at hospital for 2 months
Red Cross for 2 years
First Aid and PTCB Certified
Captained a Paintball team
2 Years Varsity Tennis

Some of those were high school ECs but w/e.

a lot of the schools I'm applyin have their applications due on 11/3

Then apply to those with deadlines on 3/01 =) Oh quit your procrastinating already and get moving! roar! hehe. I have crappy stats too, but I think if you have the minimum requirements for the admissions committees to at least look at your application, your personal statement, recent grades/trends, and extra curriculars can make or break you. Just try so you don't look back in a year or even a month and regret not applying now. Start now! =]

Your stats meet minimum requirements for many non-California schools. you should definitely apply out of state.

good luck:)

if you are feeling discourage, you should do something about it. Find ways to make yourself more competitive, look into what you did wrong in last cycle, start retaking classes, DO SOMETHING that will make you feel better and also make you more confident, and strengthen your application for the next cycle.

I'd still apply this year though, there is always a possibility of etting in. Now if you don't apply, there is zero possibility of getting in.

I went back to school at 26 years old after dropping out, so I know a little or two about "feeling like crap".