discouraging experience at doctor's today

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do you experience debilitating back pain?

• Never

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • less than once a year

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • 2-3 times a year

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • more than 3 times a year

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters

Doctor Peloncito

Family Physician
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a bad back and I aggrivated it pretty bad yesterday. I went to the doctor (MD, not that it really matters) today to talk about a long term solution to the problem. She didn't lay a hand on me. She didn't check my range of motion. From the outset she assumed that I was an addict and was looking for a fix. I was pretty obviously in a lot of pain, but wasn't too interested in getting an RX. She told me that most of the problem was in my head and I was like the majority of Americans my age. I explained that this was a recurring problem that has been happening over the past 9 years. She ordered xrays (something that no doctor has ever done) but she said that most likely they wouldn't show anything.

I guess I'm pretty aggrivated that she would make these assumptions without even doing a physical exam on me. I mean, she didn't even look at me when she was "screening me out" as an addict. I'm just fed up with doctors who don't seem to care about the long term health of their patients.

NOTE: I posted the poll because I'm interested in seeing how many of my peers really are like me.

Members don't see this ad.

are you blaming the doctor for your back pain?

if is as debilitating as you say it is, I suggest you go right to a neurologist. otherwise you're just wasting your own time.

Originally posted by doc05
are you blaming the doctor for your back pain?

if is as debilitating as you say it is, I suggest you go right to a neurologist. otherwise you're just wasting your own time.

I'm not blaming her at all. I just resent her making a medical decision without even looking at me. I'm upset that she would first assume that I was an addict. She basically wanted me to march through all of yesterdays events to prove that my story was legitimate and I wasn't fabricating it to get pain meds. SHE DIDN'T EVEN ASK IF I WANTED THEM. I saw her because I wanted to take the steps needed to solve the problem. If that means seeing a neurologist or a physiatrist, then fine. But I can't do that without her referral.

Hold yer horses, WannaBe. Most of western medicine's diagnosis of back pain tends to favor history taking over the physical. You are skewed as a DO student, that you learn the standing flexion/seated flexion, etc etc.

Either go see a DO (i'm sure your school has a clinic run by the DO FP attendings there) or go see a physical therapist (assuming you have no medical condition besides musculoskeletal backpain causing it). PTs know a LOT about low back pain (I have my fiancee' look at my back all the time).

Q