Discouraging practice exam results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Schadenfreude

T or F: You can get mono from riding the monorail.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm scheduled to take the MCAT on October 25. I've been studying using TBR for all the sciences (only the passages for bio), EK Bio, some passages from TPRHSW, and have created flashcards using Anki to keep all the content fresh in my mind. I've also recently completed all the passages and discretes in the Official Guide and in the 4 science self-assessments (percents range from high 80s to low 90s; I didn't strictly time these, but I tried to finish all of them within 2 to 3 hours). Overall, prior to starting FLs, I felt reasonably confident.

As of today, I have completed AAMC FLs #3 and 4. I got 31 on both exams with the exact same breakdown (12 PS, 9 VR, 10 BS). My goal is a 35 with a breakdown roughly as follows: 12-13 PS, 10 VR, 12-13 BS. My biggest issues right now are timing (I run out of time on VR and have to guess on 1-2 questions) and, after reviewing both exams, errors in logic/interpreting passages (particularly in BS) rather than content knowledge gaps.

Needless to say, I'm feeling a bit down. Do you guys think my goal is still attainable? If so, any advice on what I can do to improve? I'm going to be taking the rest of the AAMC FLs. I've been hearing on here that the bio passages in TPRHSW are quite good. Would it be worth finishing all of those to try and raise my BS score?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
soooooooooooooooooo down. I got a 25 on both 3 and 4. I feel really bad for people like you lol

Reactions: 2 users
I'm scheduled to take the MCAT on October 25. I've been studying using TBR for all the sciences (only the passages for bio), EK Bio, some passages from TPRHSW, and have created flashcards using Anki to keep all the content fresh in my mind. I've also recently completed all the passages and discretes in the Official Guide and in the 4 science self-assessments (percents range from high 80s to low 90s; I didn't strictly time these, but I tried to finish all of them within 2 to 3 hours). Overall, prior to starting FLs, I felt reasonably confident.

As of today, I have completed AAMC FLs #3 and 4. I got 31 on both exams with the exact same breakdown (12 PS, 9 VR, 10 BS). My goal is a 35 with a breakdown roughly as follows: 12-13 PS, 10 VR, 12-13 BS. My biggest issues right now are timing (I run out of time on VR and have to guess on 1-2 questions) and, after reviewing both exams, errors in logic/interpreting passages (particularly in BS) rather than content knowledge gaps.

Needless to say, I'm feeling a bit down. Do you guys think my goal is still attainable? If so, any advice on what I can do to improve? I'm going to be taking the rest of the AAMC FLs. I've been hearing on here that the bio passages in TPRHSW are quite good. Would it be worth finishing all of those to try and raise my BS score?
A big YESSSSSS to the TPRHSW bio passages!!! Don't underestimate the value of these. Seems like you're already at or near your goal in PS and VR. A 12 to 13 jump on PS is kinda playing the luck game lol. A 10 is definitely possible with more practice on VR.
That being said you have a bit to work on bio lol.

Based on your scores I'd say the goal is somewhat out of reach this late in the game. You want to be scoring ABOVE your target on the AAMCs to really be "sure" you'll get it on test day. I want a 35+ and am registered for Oct. 21, and though I've scored 35 on three different practice tests, I'd be pleasantly surprised if I got a 35 (let along anything above) on the real thing. Most people score a little lower - maybe a point or so, perhaps two - than their AAMC average on test day, though of course there are exceptions.

I'm not trying to be a downer, I'm just trying to be realistic. I rescheduled twice because I was chasing scores in the high 30s, but after another month and a half of extra studying my numbers aren't budging from those low-to-mid 30s scores, and most likely that's where I'll be on test day. You either have to come to grips with what you've got in the tank thus far as a result of your work, or decide that A) you still have potential to unlock and B) rescheduling will give you the time you need to unlock it, and C) you'll actually be able to make yourself do the work during that extra time that has to be done in order to tap into that as-yet-unrealized potential.

Take an AAMC from the higher numbers, like #9 or #10, and you'll have a very solid idea of how you'll perform on test day with those three scores. #3 and #4 aren't as good for assessment purposes as the later AAMCs are.

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on your scores I'd say the goal is somewhat out of reach this late in the game. You want to be scoring ABOVE your target on the AAMCs to really be "sure" you'll get it on test day. I want a 35+ and am registered for Oct. 21, and though I've scored 35 on three different practice tests, I'd be pleasantly surprised if I got a 35 (let along anything above) on the real thing. Most people score a little lower - maybe a point or so, perhaps two - than their AAMC average on test day, though of course there are exceptions.

I'm not trying to be a downer, I'm just trying to be realistic. I rescheduled twice because I was chasing scores in the high 30s, but after another month and a half of extra studying my numbers aren't budging from those low-to-mid 30s scores, and most likely that's where I'll be on test day. You either have to come to grips with what you've got in the tank thus far as a result of your work, or decide that A) you still have potential to unlock and B) rescheduling will give you the time you need to unlock it, and C) you'll actually be able to make yourself do the work during that extra time that has to be done in order to tap into that as-yet-unrealized potential.

Take an AAMC from the higher numbers, like #9 or #10, and you'll have a very solid idea of how you'll perform on test day with those three scores. #3 and #4 aren't as good for assessment purposes as the later AAMCs are.
I wouldn't assert that you would want to be scoring above your desired score to be able to get that on the exam day. You never know because your peak score could actually be the test you take.
I don't know why so many people underestimate their confidence before even going into the MCAT. You said you have scored 35 consistently on THREE practice exams yet you are self-doubting your performance. The MCAT is as much as a confidence game as it is a critical thinking game. I sincerely believe that it is the self-doubt that so many people harbor is what actually translates to lower expectations and thus, a lower real MCAT score.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't assert that you would want to be scoring above your desired score to be able to get that on the exam day. You never know because your peak score could actually be the test you take.
I don't know why so many people underestimate their confidence before even going into the MCAT. You said you have scored 35 consistently on THREE practice exams yet you are self-doubting your performance. The MCAT is as much as a confidence game as it is a critical thinking game. I sincerely believe that it is the self-doubt that so many people harbor is what actually translates to lower expectations and thus, a lower real MCAT score.

I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm simply approaching this from a statistical stand point. I think the kind of confidence that is most valuable is that which is based on *real* knowledge of one's *real* ability; of course anything could happen on test day, but it's MOST likely that I will score close to a 35, and within "close to 35" it is more likely to score a point or two lower than higher. That's just reality, real numbers.

I'm not self-doubting that I could score in the mid 30s, maybe higher than a 35, but higher than 35 has never happened to me, so expecting it will just sort of "happen" seems a little silly - I'm just trying to stay balanced. I think it would be more dangerous to approach test day with an inflated sense of your abilities, encounter a few tough passages on the real test, and then have that false sense of confidence dashed to smithereens mid-test. In my book, it's safer to develop a level of confidence that authentically represents your real abilities, strengths and weaknesses together, and the way I'm doing that is by looking at actual performance, mine and the thread author's, to see what's actually there.

I'm all about a positive mindset, and will definitely be watching Rocky training montages and head-banging to AC/DC's "For Those About To Rock, We Salute You" all day before the test, if you know what I mean. My goal is not to instill fear or doubt, but to lend a sense of real self knowledge and reliable, stable confidence to this whole shebang.

Practice VR under stricter time conditions than the actual test and see if your score changes at all.

Thanks for all of the advice. I took AAMC #5 yesterday and managed to get a 34 (12 PS, 9 VR, 13 BS). Twice now I have been one question away from a 10 in VR. This time, however, I tried to go faster and finished VR with a minute or two to spare, so I was able to check a few answers, but I guess it didn't help.

I know people have said on here that the later AAMCs are more reflective of the real exam, especially in the case of BS with more, if not, almost all experiment-based passages. What about PS and VR? For those of you who have taken all of the AAMC FLs, do these two sections change/become harder in later FLs?

You sound just like me when I was going for the 9/6 exam haha. I plateaued at around 33 really early on (2 months before exam), and stayed exactly there all the way till test day. My breakdowns remained pretty much the same, with consistent 12's on PS, 10's on VR and 10-11 on VR. I ended up with a 32 12/10/10. Breaking the plateau is going to be really tough--but it sounds like you're starting to improve for BS?

I did lots of consistent practicing about 1 month before the exam, and while my breakdowns didn't change, my accuracy was improving through the AAMCs (I took them in order..never took 11). By the end of it, I was literally 1 question off in each section to go up a number (so my 33 could have easily been a 36 if I got 3 questions right). I learned there that breaking this plateau is going to take TIME and lots of PRACTICE. Something that I just couldn't accomplish in a month without utterly burning myself out, and potentially doing even worse than my average. Look at your accuracy--is it going up? If it is, you're likely improving. While the scaled scores do change, I find it more helpful to look at accuracy. We all make mistakes on easy, medium and hard questions.

Going to try and break this plateau on my retake! The key is practice practice practice EARLY on to try and improve your accuracy. Each passage should be mostly -0, with a couple of -1 sprinkled in for a 13 in the sciences (general rule?)

I know what you mean by plateau. I feel like I may have reached mine in PS and BS. My VR, on the other hand, is getting worse. I took AAMC #7 today and got a 7 in VR, my lowest yet :(. I'm hoping it's an outlier, but, nevertheless, it worries me. It seems that VR is the reason I'm not reaching my goal. Anyone have any advice? I really want a 10, but at this stage, I would be satisfied with a 9.

Your self-assessment scores indicate you have potential to score higher. I'm not sure why you're not. Are you missing questions in the sciences because of content deficiencies or silly mistakes?

If the former, you need to delay or you probably won't get 35. If it's the latter, 35 is possible but difficult. Try to identify what's wrong (e.g., timing issues? anxiety?) and address it.

I think you should expect to score worse on the real thing that on the practice tests.