Diseases that just sound bad....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DropkickMurphy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was doing a journal article search and came across one describing treatment protocols for "chronic plague-type psoriasis". Is it just me or does that sound exceedingly bad? Any other "favorite" conditions that sound far worse than they actually are?

Members don't see this ad.

post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation

I saw a kid today who was stung on the arm about a month ago. It healed up after a couple of days, but he was worried because he has an unsightly 4mm spot of hyperpigmentation on his forearm. Kind of a waste of a doctor's visit actually.

Here's one I happen to suffer from: dermatographia (AKA dermatographism, "writtable skin").

Members don't see this ad :)
Praetorian said:
Here's one I happen to suffer from: dermatographia (AKA dermatographism, "writtable skin").

How about "herpetic gingival stomatitis"

Nope, don't have that. :laugh:

vestibular neuronitis / acute labarynthitis.

bad, but not quite as bad as it sounds (had it after a really bad bout of flu, so i can say that!)

genital warts
thos two words should never be that close together for any reason

Caseous necrosis....wait.....it is THAT bad.

helio-ophthalmic outburst syndrome

It's when you look into the sun, and it makes you sneeze. I have it. I have heard that it is autosomal dominant with a prevalence of about 18%.

Fibromyalgia. It doesn't sound bad to patients, but whenever I read that diagnosis in a past medical history of a patient I'm about to see, I fear for my life. I just know I'm going to spend 20 minutes discussing how every part of their body hurts.

GeneralVeers said:
Fibromyalgia. It doesn't sound bad to patients, but whenever I read that diagnosis in a past medical history of a patient I'm about to see, I fear for my life. I just know I'm going to spend 20 minutes discussing how every part of their body hurts.
Especially if the patient's a small Hispanic woman right GeneralVeers? "Donde dolore?" or however that goes..... :smuggrin:

Background: we get these nasty pink slips from our billing people anytime we don't dictate a full 50+ system ROS.

For me, fibromyalgia in the PMH = "F*ck it, I'll take the pink slip"

Take care,
Jeff

Members don't see this ad :)
Praetorian said:
Especially if the patient's a small Hispanic woman right GeneralVeers? "Donde dolore?" or however that goes..... :smuggrin:

My usual line of questioning (after waking up patient who's having 10/10 pain) goes something like this:

Me: "Habla Englais?"

Patient: "No"

Me: "Tiene Dolor"

Patient: "si"

Me: "Donde"

(patient vaguely points to entire abdominal area)

Me: "Mucho or poquito?"

Patient: "Oh much mucho doctor!"

Praetorian said:

I have this to. Its fun at parties. ;)

How about "spontaneous dentohydroplosion". spontaneous liquification of the teeth.

Also "hot dog fingers".

Anybody seen this episode of "The Office"? It makes me laugh every time.

MasterintuBater said:
How about "spontaneous dentohydroplosion". spontaneous liquification of the teeth.

Yeah, but that sounds as bad as it is! {shudders}

How about "periungual desquamation", I know that Kawasaki's is bad but "periungual desquamation" is basically bad hangnails.

- H

It's actually chronic plaque-type psoriasis. It isn't pretty but nobody ever died of it.
Pruritus ani. Ick.

Praetorian said:
I was doing a journal article search and came across one describing treatment protocols for "chronic plague-type psoriasis". Is it just me or does that sound exceedingly bad? Any other "favorite" conditions that sound far worse than they actually are?

Pyogenic granuloma.

Nothing real serious, just excise it!

primadonna22274 said:
It's actually chronic plaque-type psoriasis. It isn't pretty but nobody ever died of it.
Pruritus ani. Ick.
Oops.....guess that rules out dermatology as a possible specialty choice for me then :smuggrin:

INTRINSIC SPHINCTER

INVOLUTIONAL MELANCHOLIA

Both begin with I's, and if you get the second one I think the first happens spontaneously

erythema toxicum--tricky to tell new parents that their kid has something with the word "toxicum" in it.

Rule out [insert disease here] always sounds worse than it is.

GeneralVeers said:

Don't forget about all the past tx's they have attempted and failed, all the doctors they went to, how they finally self dx'ed, and then found a doc to agree.