Dismissal from M1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What would you do if you were in the position of being almost done with medical school?

Well at that point finish.

Members don't see this ad.

I suppose the question at this point is: if you know that FM is basically your only option, is it worth it?

All that debt needs to be paid off somehow. Even after M1, it's almost point of no return where many DO students owe 70K+.
However, there are likely more opportunities than FM if the student flourishes after M1 setback.

All that debt needs to be paid off somehow. Even after M1, it's almost point of no return where many DO students owe 70K+.
However, there are likely more opportunities than FM if the student flourishes after M1 setback.

I always hear this type of thing and ask myself...what are the odds of that happening?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I always hear this type of thing and ask myself...what are the odds of that happening?

Quite good, if the study strategies and underlying problems are fixed. That along with the fact they have seen everything already can set up a pretty strong foundation which can help with boards.

Wow, people love hating on FM. I don't 100% know what I want at this point, but if your only way to be a doctor was to go into FM, would you guys honestly not do it? FM is on the lower side of careers in medicine for some people, but honestly if the pay of all specialties dropped down to the $200-$250k range, we'd be seeing way more people realistically looking at FM. You're still a physician making six figures.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow, people love hating on FM. I don't 100% know what I want at this point, but if your only way to be a doctor was to go into FM, would you guys honestly not do it? FM is on the lower side of careers in medicine for some people, but honestly if the pay of all specialties dropped down to the $200-$250k range, we'd be seeing way more people realistically looking at FM. You're still a physician making six figures.

No offense to FM lol...just stating that for a person in this situation, they could definitely have more opportunities than only doing FM. But of course, we aren't program directors so who knows.

Last edited:
No offense to FM lol...just stating that for a person in this situation, they could definitely have more opportunities than only doing FM. But of course, we aren't program directors so who knows.

Yeah not so much you, but by some other people's comments you'd think it was the worst job in the world.

Yeah not so much you, but by some other people's comments you'd think it was the worst job in the world.

I mean don't a very large percentage of DOs end up in FM? It's kinda expected.

I wouldn't do FM for twice what I make now. Far too much clinic (nearly all) and I have no desire for touchy feely long term follow up and managing my fleet of PAs/NPs.

I catch myself unintentionally bashing FM... even as someone with a legitimate interest in going that route. It's usually in the context of harassing a classmate to the effect of "if you don't rock this test you're going to be stuck doing FM." I'm being facetious when I say things like that, and it's partly out of habit. I must spend way too much time reading threads like this on SDN.

Honestly, though, I think family medicine rocks and offers way more options and diversity of practice types than many people realize.

I mean don't a very large percentage of DOs end up in FM? It's kinda expected.

They do indeed....

The hypocrisy of Osteopathy:

Pay the most in tuition!
Receive the least financial fruition!
Go into Family Med.

Was that a haiku or something?

Whatever.

Reactions: 1 users
Yep, I really don't get it either. I am legitimately interested in FM at this point because from what I have experienced of it so far I really like. If it's the money I still don't get it because they only make like 10-20 thousand less a year than IM on average. Seems like a pretty decent gig to me.

They do indeed....

The hypocrisy of Osteopathy:

Pay the most in tuition!
Receive the least financial fruition!
Go into Family Med.

Was that a haiku or something?

Whatever.
Both private DO and MD schools are hideously expensive. However, I think MD students generally get far more for this money in terms of overall resources and opportunities available for them. People seem to miss this in the DO vs MD tuition argument.

Both private DO and MD schools are hideously expensive. However, I think MD students generally get far more for this money in terms of overall resources and opportunities available for them. People seem to miss this in the DO vs MD tuition argument.

But DOs get OMT skills. What more could you want?

Reactions: 2 users
It comes out at school that this exact same situation had happened to six other students. But ONLY students taking this particular course. Every other course that people failed, they passed their remediation exams. So it just seemed like to me, it was 'almost' rigged. Why would they give a remediation exam and fail everyone? and offer them admission in the next years class?

If I understand you correctly, several students failed different classes and during the remediation period, the only students who didn't pass their remediation exams were 6 students, who didn't pass the remediation exam for one particular course. I don't think you should look for any particular pattern or conspiracy here other than that particular remediation exam was a particularly hard one. Having made exams, sometimes don't do as well as you expected, sometimes they do much better. However, the remediation exam is an attempt at a safety net, and it didn't work out.

Also, would the friend have to re-enroll as a full time student and repeat all his classes or could he do part-time and just repeat the one class? That's a big difference, both financially and in terms of their time. Presumably after taking the course, studying all summer, and then repeating just one course, he could even have some sort of part-time job for the rest of his time, or at least spend a lot of time cramming q-banks for boards.

If he reconsiders not re-enrolling, he may have an opportunity to return later. Often schools want to see that you've been doing some positive in the meantime, and have been working on improving any potential problems. If, as you suggest, it is for financial reasons, they may accept him late, particularly as it sounds like he messed up on a course in the latter part of the year.

Anyway, I wish good luck to your friend in his future endeavors, be they in medicine or something else.

Truth be told, after failing a course and the remediation, Johnny Cochran couldn't get him into second year. The meetings would have been about whether or not to re-offer him a spot in the first year. He could probably google "education lawyers" to get a start on who in his area might be able to help him, but he should be sure he has some idea of what outcome he hopes to see (and whether it's realistic). They will probably make him exhaust all options to appeal provided by the school before they do very much.

Its pretty hard to fight when its an academic issue such as grade performance that got a student dismissed.