Dismissed after 1st semester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Failed295

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I created this account to ensure my school and myself would remain anonymous. I was just dismissed after my 1st semester due to poor grades (I failed 5 courses). I was dealing with some family issues and personal medical issues (head injury) that definitely had a negative impact on my performance, which I made the school aware of and kept them updated on it. However, the school determined the best course was to dismiss me and I accept the school's decision. I'm looking at other options and one of them is getting my MPH. Will being dismissed hurt my chances of getting accepted to any MPH program? Should I even tell the MPH programs I apply to that I was in medical school and got dismissed? After I get my MPH, do I have any chance of reapplying to medical school and getting in? Thank you for reading this and your responses.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to hear that.

How much are MPH programs?

Last edited:
Before going forward I would say take some time off form serious Academic paths and focus on getting your life and health in order. Then after that is resolved look moving forward.

Good luck on whatever happens!

Members don't see this ad :)
Were you given the opportunity to take a LOA or decelerate when you started having troubles?

Because that would have been ideal.

But I'd say apply to MPH and yes, tell them about your background (including the personal issues that contributed). And of course all of this is after you get past all the stuff that gave you trouble in medical school.

Not sure about chances back after MPH, but if you do well I gotta think that will at least be seen as evidence that you may be ready to take another shot.

What I'd wonder about is whether or not failing out then re-matriculating would cause problems getting licensed.

Sorry to hear of your troubles, but not at my school. My advice is to find another career.

After I get my MPH, do I have any chance of reapplying to medical school and getting in? Thank you for reading this and your responses.[/quote]

Reactions: 1 user