Dismissed from pharm school, need advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Misterguy123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was dismissed from pharmacy school because I failed one class twice. I passed every other class and my GPA is still above a C. I was only a first year student but I still really want to finish school. I appealed the schools decision and took every option but they are not budging. I was wondering if maybe there was a school that would look at my situation and possibly accept a transfer or some other options. If anyone can help me out with any advice I would really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

I was dismissed from pharmacy school because I failed one class twice. I passed every other class and my GPA is still above a C. I was only a first year student but I still really want to finish school. I appealed the schools decision and took every option but they are not budging. I was wondering if maybe there was a school that would look at my situation and possibly accept a transfer or some other options. If anyone can help me out with any advice I would really appreciate it.

Move on with your life.

Pharmacy school was just not for you.

If you didn't pass a class twice in your 1st year wait till the 2nd and 3rd years when the curriculum may get more difficult. Your chances are pretty slim at this point. Try to get another chance at your school next year, otherwise your options are limited.

Honestly, there are plenty of good jobs out there outside of pharmacy. Many don't even require a degree.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

If you still really want to do pharmacy, then apply to other schools. You will need a good explanation for why you failed and why it won't happen again.

It depends on which class you failed twice. I am not very familiar with the US education system but if you still want to stick to pharmaceuticals line of career, you will have to evaluate why you went to the pharmacy school to begin with. Did you like any specific subjects or that was your career point? If you like biological science, you could look into majoring biochemistry, molecular biology etc. and there are clinical research job available where you could work as a clinical research associate. They are certainly not as many as pharmacists but pretty similar career profile i.e. not many step on the career ladder.

You could also look into regulatory field, patent and stuff. Its rather hot stuff because everybody is getting an attitude of making money on patents (nothing wrong as such but it hinders development pretty significantly as a whole). Here, you are checking career options, so this could be one way to go.

You really have a ton of time, check the job advertisements, check what qualification they require, research those options and choose where you want to be. Honestly, this could very well be a blessing in disguise. Read up on this forum and there are quite many complaints (as any other field). You have gotten a chance, use it to your benefit instead of wasting time on, Oh, I got dismissed...

Thanks for your advice guys, but I really would like to try again. I don't want to give up. There has to be some kind of options for me.

infectious diseases

Why did you fail it? There's a big difference between "I failed it because I didn't understand the material" and "I failed it because I skipped too many classes".

There are so many new schools opening up and, in turn, reducing entry requirements. One of these schools should take you no problemo :)

If you failed the same class twice, I agree that this isn't meant to be, and you won't pass it a third time.

One of my FBFs, a HS classmate, is a dental hygienist. She originally wanted to be a dentist, but after failing Organic I THREE TIMES, realized that she was going to have to make alternate career plans. She's been doing this for almost 30 years. :)

Why did you fail it? There's a big difference between "I failed it because I didn't understand the material" and "I failed it because I skipped too many classes".

True for failing a class once, but twice?

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont want it to sound like I don't appreciate everyones reply because I really do appreciate everyone's honest opinion. However, giving up is not an option for me. I am looking for a way to continue on.

Have you talked to the Dean? Is it the school's policy?

yes I have spoken with the dean several times and have scheduled another meeting with her. It is the school's policy.

if it is a written school's policy then most likely, they won't make an exception for you unless you can prove you somehow got screwed or was unfairly treated.

I dont want it to sound like I don't appreciate everyones reply because I really do appreciate everyone's honest opinion. However, giving up is not an option for me. I am looking for a way to continue on.

Why should you get to continue after failing the same thing multiple times? Why is giving up not an option?

I understand the "never give up" attitude but this isn't an election or running a business, this is a college class. You've seen the material before! You know what the exams are like! You know what you screwed up on the first time! There is no excuse for failing a class twice unless the professor screwed you in one way or another.

Giving up is not an option simply because this is something I want and am committed to. I know the situation looks bad and I have messed up twice but I know I can do it. What I'm looking for is the opportunity to earn another chance.

Giving up is not an option simply because this is something I want and am committed to. I know the situation looks bad and I have messed up twice but I know I can do it. What I'm looking for is the opportunity to earn another chance.

So, sell yourself, why do you deserve a third chance? What were the circumstances?

I would be more than happy to meet with you and explain myself if you are someone who can help.

Year 1 of 6, or P1 year of 4?

I want to thank everyone for their input, I guess all I can do is reapply.

Well, it sounds like you are going to ignore the advice to pursue other options. Certainly, people have made come-back from bad situations. But as others have said, pharmacy school will get increasingly difficult, if you are having problems--serious enough problems to flunk the same class twice)--I think you really should look into other options. Pharmacy school is VERY expensive, I'm guessing like most people you are taking on debt to finance your way through....debt that can saddle you for the rest of you life, and you may end up with no degree to show for it. Unless you have a really good reason for flunking one class (which seems unlikely, a "good" reason is a reason that can be fixed, drug problems, bad family situation, unpreparedness for the quality of work expected....but these reasons are things that would affect all classes, not just one class.)

Seriously? You want to be dealing with real human lives when you can't deal with fairly basic material even the second time around?

A professor of mine back in pharmacy school said it best:

"When you are in the fashion design business and you make a mistake, some shirts get ruined and the clothing store loses some customers. When you are in the food business and you make a mistake, some unlucky patron sits on the toilet longer than usual. When you are in our industry and make a mistake, somebody dies and you either pay $5 million dollars or sit in jail for 50 years."

So I have identified a comparable course at another university over the summer. Does anyone know if there are any schools that would accept a transfer application if I take that course and pass it?

A professor of mine back in pharmacy school said it best:

"When you are in the fashion design business and you make a mistake, some shirts get ruined and the clothing store loses some customers. When you are in the food business and you make a mistake, some unlucky patron sits on the toilet longer than usual. When you are in our industry and make a mistake, somebody dies and you either pay $5 million dollars or sit in jail for 50 years."

I have a friend who is an engineering professor who teaches the "weed out" class in his program. He views it as his sacred mission to fail lackluster students under the same logic. His version ends with, "if an engineer makes a mistake, buildings fall on people and planes fall out of the sky"

I have a friend who is an engineering professor who teaches the "weed out" class in his program. He views it as his sacred mission to fail lackluster students under the same logic. His version ends with, "if an engineer makes a mistake, buildings fall on people and planes fall out of the sky"

So true. I always found it amusing in undergrad that there were a handful of weed out classes and then everything beyond was significantly easier

You already got a second chance, and you blew it. Sorry, but unless something very traumatic happened in your life both times around (which if so, you have my condolences), then I don't see any reason why you should get a third chance.

Your wake up call was failing the first time. After that, you should have made that class an absolute priority in your life and done everything in your power to not only pass, but to ace it.

I feel for you, but I have to side with the university on this one.

Good luck.

You already got a second chance, and you blew it. Sorry, but unless something very traumatic happened in your life both times around (which if so, you have my condolences), then I don't see any reason why you should get a third chance.

Your wake up call was failing the first time. After that, you should have made that class an absolute priority in your life and done everything in your power to not only pass, but to ace it.

I feel for you, but I have to side with the university on this one.

Good luck.

I dont think it's just as easy as "move on". Pharmacy is a good career option and I think it the OP is honest about his efforts, then I think he should continue his endeavors toward a career in pharmacy. When theres a will, theres a way.

I dont think it's just as easy as "move on". Pharmacy is a good career option and I think it the OP is honest about his efforts, then I think he should continue his endeavors toward a career in pharmacy. When theres a will, theres a way.

If I were an admissions committee member, I'd be asking the following questions:

1. Why didn't he summon the will to pass after he failed the first time? Failing once, sure, but twice? It seems unlikely that there are extenuating circumstances here.

2. Right now there are probably quite a few people on the wait list for the class of 2017 at the OP's school. Why should I deny one of those people a spot in favor of the OP? Yes, there's a chance one of the wait-listers might flunk ... but I'd rather take a chance on one of them than on someone who already HAS flunked.

3. What assurance do I have that the OP will not fail more classes during the 2nd and 3rd years of pharmacy school? Am I just setting this student up to fail again and have thousands of dollars in student loan debt which he will never be able to pay off?

OP, I'm completely tone-deaf and when I was young I wanted to be a singer. I'm going to give you the advice a kind music teacher gave me: "You have other talents. It's time to dream a different dream."

Honestly, there are plenty of good jobs out there outside of pharmacy. Many don't even require a degree.

Such as?

You know the powers that be are getting right on that. They're working to change that

The charm of an Alaskan sea trip or a Dakotan adventure is transitory, though nice to have under the belt