Dismissed from US medical school, please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

roco88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I desperately need some help from those of you who might be familiar with situations like this.

I was dismissed from a US medical school at the end of my first year due to academic reasons, which were a direct result of a divorce and an unfortunate health condition (which is now resolved).

Despite this, I refuse to believe that all doors are now closed. After all, we all do make mistakes, and I surely have learned from mine.

I am VA state resident with hopeful credentials (GPA 3.5, MCAT 32 R).

Does anyone know, or have heard of others being re-accepted after dimissal? I am mostly interested in VA schools, especially EVMS. Anything helps. Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, I desperately need some help from those of you who might be familiar with situations like this.

I was dismissed from a US medical school at the end of my first year due to academic reasons, which were a direct result of a divorce and an unfortunate health condition (which is now resolved).

Despite this, I refuse to believe that all doors are now closed. After all, we all do make mistakes, and I surely have learned from mine.

Does anyone know, or have heard of others being re-accepted after dimissal? I am mostly interested in VA schools, especially EVMS. Anything helps. Thank you all!

Which school is this and what program were you in (MD or DO)?

You're right in that you credentials are respectful for someone who is a reapplicant or who is non-traditional (if you took time off after graduating from college). However, the dismissal from the medical school is a red flag should you decide to reapply again since the application will ask if you've matriculated or enrolled at any medical schools prior to this.

To be honest, I have not heard of anyone being readmitted back to their program after they were "officially" dismissed (kicked out without a medical leave of absence). You can reapply again to other medical schools, however it is extremely, extremely difficult to be reaccepted by another medical school if you've been dismissed before due to the competitive nature of the application process.

I think your best chance would be contact the medical school from which you were dismissed from and try to be reinstated again. You may have to retake all your first year classes, but the prospect of reapplying again after being dismissed is one that you probably don't want to look forward to.

I was dismissed from MD program, prefer not to mention school's name at this point because I am sure there will be numerous comments just about the school. I actually did try very hard to be reinstated, but unfortunately it did not work out. Also I should say this medical school is currently going through some significant changes and may possibly lose their accreditation. Do you think this can work to my advantage? considering that the school is on academic probation as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have never heard of anyone getting into another med school after being dismissed from one, but I suppose it's theoretically possible.

Agree with above comment...by far the best route would have been readmission to the school where you were, but it sounds as if that door is closed. Your old school being on academic probation is unlikely to help you, although I suppose it's possible that it would @schools in your region where the adcoms might possibly be aware of that situation. However, the fact still remains that there were probably 100 students in your class who managed to stay and stick it out, which you were the one who couldn't. Adcoms may worry about your ability to do so at THEIR school.

You need to be realistic about what is likely to happen now. Wanting to reapply but being only or primarily interested in one state I do not think is realistic. I suggest reapplying to a broad variety of schools (both MD and DO). If that fails and you really still want to be a physician, then I would try UK/Australia/Caribbean route. There's also a school in Guadalajara, Mexico. Be aware none of these schools have US accreditation, though. I know students have gotten into foreign schools after being dismissed from US schools.

I was dismissed from MD program, prefer not to mention school's name at this point because I am sure there will be numerous comments just about the school. I actually did try very hard to be reinstated, but unfortunately it did not work out. Also I should say this medical school is currently going through some significant changes and may possibly lose their accreditation. Do you think this can work to my advantage? considering that the school is on academic probation as well?

To be honest, being dismissed from medical school is a big deal and it's not the kind of thing that you want on your record. It's highly unusual to be dismissed simply because of poor performance, I think at most schools, you have to get caught cheating or be convicted of crime in order to be dismissed without being reinstated (I have personally know friends who've failed, who've gotten pregnant, or who had second thoughts about medicine and decided to take time off while in medical school, in all cases, they were able to take a leave of absence and repeat their classes).

The reason why I'm interested in which program you're in is because this policy might be different for some schools. In any case, their being on probation will have no effect on your application because they haven't lost their accrediation yet. You also mentioned that you were dismissed due to academic problems to a divorce and health reasons - so it's not because of a problem with the school.

I would honestly try to do everything possible to get reinstated again - even if it means hiring a lawyer and possibly taking the school to court. If what you said is true, the school should not have dismissed you simply because of a poor academic performance resulting from a health problem. I would look into the school's dismissal policy and find out what steps they have to take before they can justify the dismissal. If you have records of being hospitalized or a physician note that you had to be treated for depression, anxiety, etc as a result of your divorce, you should use that as leverage against your school and try to have them come to some kind of arrangement.

The reason why you need to deal with your school in this heavy-handed manner is because, as dragonfly said, anyone who is expelled from a medical school will have little to no chance of being accepted by another US medical school. Personally, I don't know of anyone who was able to be re-accepted by another US allopathic medical school after they were officially dismissed. If you browse the forums, I'm sure you'll see this sentiment echoed elsewhere. It is a huge stigma to be kicked out by medical school and even though it's theoretically possible to overcome, I have yet to know anyone who was able to do so.

Reactions: 1 users
If you have a legitimate reason try getting a lawyer maybe then they will listen. if you didnt cheat or do something shady maybe you can get reinstated.

if else fails apply to the Carib smu,aua or even sgu. gdluck

If you have a legitimate reason try getting a lawyer maybe then they will listen. if you didnt cheat or do something shady maybe you can get reinstated.

if else fails apply to the Carib smu,aua or even sgu. gdluck

I am not opposed to consulting with a lawyer, but I assumed that once the dean makes a decision, everything is final. But since so many of you have mentioned talking to a lawyer, I am wondering if there is more to this story. I am not at a financial place to spend thousands of dollars on a lawyer, but sounds like this is what everyone is recommending.
I also want to be clear that I am not looking to transfer my first year credits. I am perfectly ok with starting all over.

I am not opposed to consulting with a lawyer, but I assumed that once the dean makes a decision, everything is final. But since so many of you have mentioned talking to a lawyer, I am wondering if there is more to this story. I am not at a financial place to spend thousands of dollars on a lawyer, but sounds like this is what everyone is recommending.
I also want to be clear that I am not looking to transfer my first year credits. I am perfectly ok with starting all over.

A lawyer will not be that expensive compared to what your gonna have to pay in the long run. calling a lawyer for two consultation is free. gdluck

A lawyer will not be that expensive compared to what your gonna have to pay in the long run. calling a lawyer for two consultation is free. gdluck

Right on. Getting dismissed from a medical school is a career-ender in some cases. Even if the lawyer isn't free, you should do everything in your power to get a legal consultation - unlike failing college, if you fail out of medical school, you have little to no chance of getting into another one. I for one cannot believe that the dean has the last word on your fate - doesn't something of this magnitude have to go before a committee before they make a decision?

As I said earlier, most school dismiss student if they get caught cheating or convicted of a serious crime. That would be the general impression that all the other medical schools will have of you if you re-apply again. You need to exhaust all your options before you should even reconsider applying again or this will hang over you like a heavy cloud.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with getting a lawyer, assuming you have a leg to stand on (i.e. you didn't cheat and weren't using drugs, etc.). I believe there was a case of a dental student who forced her dental school to reinstate her.

If you want a shot at getting into a Virginia school, the EVMS Special Masters Program might be a possibility. See the post-bac forum for more informaiton. About 85% of the students completing their program continue on to EVMS medical school. If you can explain your situation in a way that makes it seem like problem is fixed, they might give you a shot at getting in via the back door.

I agree about calling a lawyer, though. Do you have documentation of the medical problem? It might be illegal for them to dismiss you due to problems cause by an illness.

Just a thought, but your MCAT score is probably about to expire...

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with getting a lawyer, assuming you have a leg to stand on (i.e. you didn't cheat and weren't using drugs, etc.). I believe there was a case of a dental student who forced her dental school to reinstate her.

I certainly did not cheat or use drugs. However, I did fail 2 classes in my first year (sadly missed the passing cut off by just 2 points) and did end up in front of the committee. I was very forthcoming with my reasons for failing and was re-assured numerous times by my student Dean that the committee will be "sympathetic." Nevertheless, the committee decided to dismiss me. Then I appealed their decision and held numerous meetings with the school dean who was not even willing to listen to what I had to say. Later I found out that the school was under investigation for academic wrong doing around the same time that I was struggling to get the Dean to listen to me. Needless to say, I felt extremely depressed at the time and I am sure this had made a negative impression on the dean. Finally, the student dean offered to help "place me" in a Caribbean school, by writing a deans letter... I must say I am by no means against this idea and I myself have numerous close friends who attended SGU and are now interviewing for residencies in great institutions. That being said, this is not the best choice for me at this point (I have some family obligations that will make living 2 years abroad quite difficult).

I due take responsibility for my own shortcomings in trying to handle this situation. I should have tried hard to get a personal Leave of absence when I knew I was overwhelmed. But part of me is very upset about the way the school handled the situation as well. This is why I think if I can have a chance to explain myself, perhaps someone will listen.

All your comments have been so helpful (Thank you!) ... I just wanted to clarify a few things.

Just a thought, but your MCAT score is probably about to expire...

Yes, I believe most schools have a 2 year cut off and few have 3. I figured after going through all this, taking the MCAT again is not such a big deal. It is all relative!

I have a friend at EVMS who suggested the special masters program as well. I just wasn't sure if they would take someone in my situation. Do you know how competitive it is to be accepted? it says online they only accept 20 students.

I think that you're going to have to go to the Caribbean if you want to go to med school. Once you've been dismissed from a US med school, you're pretty much done here in terms of education unless you can get your school to reinstate you. Have you thought about calling up your former school again to see about reapplying there and seeing if they would seriously reconsider your appplication since your problems have now been resolved?

I am not familiar with any situations like yours, sorry.

But don't give up hope. Keep on fighting for your dream.

If possible, see if you can look at your old school's student handbook. Generally it will tell you there what your recourses are about re-admission.

However, I can assure you that should you apply to medical school again, your transcript will be sent from that medical school and your performance, regardless of why, will be judged before you have a chance to defend it other than in your personal statement. However, there are some questions:

1) How long ago were you dismissed from your medical school?
2) Did you appeal the decision? Based on what you said with your health and personal situation I would hope that you did.
3) Did you bring your situation up to the administration before your grades dropped and if not, why? If so, did you ask for a LOA? If not, why? If so, was it granted? If not, why?
4) What have you done from the time you were dismissed from medical school until now?
5) Were you dismissed in your 1st semester of your 1st year? If not, then when? If later than 1st year was there a big difference in your performance to indicate an acute problem?

If you were dismissed from an LCME-accredited medical school, you did not leave in "good standing" and thus, you are not eligible to transfer to another medical school in this country. If you re-apply, you would have to indicate that you were previously matriculated in a medical school and name that school on your application. In that case, any school that was remotely interested in you would contact your former school and find that you were academically dismissed i.e. not in good standing. This is not likely to result in you being admitted.

Things that I have heard of in terms of people having been dismissed:
  • Application for readmission to the school that dismissed them.
  • Application to an overseas medical school (non-LCME).

You can explore your chances of either of the above but remember, the LCME gives you a max of six years to complete your medical education. If you were dismissed, you have five years left of your six year max. If you could convince your school to readmit you, you might be able to salvage some of the courses that you passed.

In any event, you need to contact your school and see if any options are there. If you could get your dismissal changed to a Leave of Absence or a voluntary withdrawal, you might have a shot at a transfer but this is very unlikely in the United States.

Good luck.

Not to be negative, but this will continue to follow you should you get into med school, you residency options will be somewhat limited. The ROAD group is probable out...

Not to be negative, but this will continue to follow you should you get into med school, you residency options will be somewhat limited. The ROAD group is probable out...

I was dismissed in the second term of my first year. I am NOT looking to transfer, just want to re-apply and start fresh from day one. I am also realistic about my residency prospects (Yes, indeed the ROAD group is most likely out). Many of you commented that I should apply to the Caribbean schools and just not even try. After searching this website, I did find some posts about a few who have been re-admitted into US schools. After contacting some schools, I realized they all have different policies about considering applicants who have previously been dismissed. Some said "absolutely no" and others said, "we encourage you to apply."
Hopefully some of you out there can comment on your experiences...what can I say, I am an optimist at all times!:xf:

I was a student interviewer a couple of years ago for a guy who was dismissed from a U.S. allopathic school. He had stats strikingly similar to you (but I know for certain you are not this person). He tried for years to be readmitted, taking the MCAT five times in total, and going through SEVEN application cycles. In addition, he did TWO masters degrees after being dismissed, and petitioned to take all the medical school courses he could as well as the shelf exams. He was denied admission to every U.S. allopathic and osteopathic school every year. Interestingly, he did interview at an allopathic and a couple of osteopathic schools every year--with immediate rejections. Personally, I felt that he was richly deserving of a chance. Based on his determination and his performance in his M.S. degrees, he was clearly capable. However, I was overruled. He was told he should have gone to the Caribbean years ago. I think that will be your best option. Good luck, and stick with it.

Ouch.. he was rejected 7 times in a row.

Go to a top 3 Caribbean or Europe, take STEP 1, pass, and join the physician shortage in the U.S.

If you are determined to try once in the US, then go for it, but I would try MD and DO schools both. I doubt you'll be able to get a spot.
If you don't, you could go abroad (Carib, Australia, Europe, etc.) and if you do well academically and in your clinical rotations could return here for residency, but realize competitive residencies will likely be out...particularly if you are honest in your residency applications about what you were doing the 2 years you were in a US school.

applying 7 times to US schools shows a definite lack of judgment, bordering on obsession. The person could have gone to the Caribbean or Europe and been in residency by then...sometimes you have to realize you can't have everything you want in life.

If you are determined to try once in the US, then go for it, but I would try MD and DO schools both. I doubt you'll be able to get a spot.
If you don't, you could go abroad (Carib, Australia, Europe, etc.) and if you do well academically and in your clinical rotations could return here for residency, but realize competitive residencies will likely be out...particularly if you are honest in your residency applications about what you were doing the 2 years you were in a US school.

:thumbup: I agree. If you think you have a chance then no harm in trying once. You might want to apply Caribbean at the same time so you won't lose another year if you can't get into a US school. Consulting with a lawyer isn't a bad idea since you mention the accreditation issue, but I think that would be a hard road to go as well since the school has the right to dismiss a student for academics. Even so I would probably talk to some legal counsel if I were you. Going to the Caribbean is possible though, and does happen, so I would encourage going that route. As said above you will still be able to sit for the Step and apply to residencies.

applying 7 times to US schools shows a definite lack of judgment, bordering on obsession. The person could have gone to the Caribbean or Europe and been in residency by then...sometimes you have to realize you can't have everything you want in life.
You have the luxury of making this judgment because you are on the inside looking out. If the roles were reversed......not so much. The logic you state, however, was actually partly used against this candidate. I hope the person fulfilled their dream elsewhere.

I was a student interviewer a couple of years ago for a guy who was dismissed from a U.S. allopathic school. He had stats strikingly similar to you (but I know for certain you are not this person). He tried for years to be readmitted, taking the MCAT five times in total, and going through SEVEN application cycles. In addition, he did TWO masters degrees after being dismissed, and petitioned to take all the medical school courses he could as well as the shelf exams. He was denied admission to every U.S. allopathic and osteopathic school every year. Interestingly, he did interview at an allopathic and a couple of osteopathic schools every year--with immediate rejections. Personally, I felt that he was richly deserving of a chance. Based on his determination and his performance in his M.S. degrees, he was clearly capable. However, I was overruled. He was told he should have gone to the Caribbean years ago. I think that will be your best option. Good luck, and stick with it.

My goodness, I must say SEVEN application cycles is definitely beyond what anyone should have to bear! but on the positive note, this person actually was offered numerous interview chances...I do not know the whole story and I cannot imagine why this individual was denied admission so many times. Nevertheless, I am glad to hear at least the possibility of an interview does exist, because at least then you are given a chance to explain the situation in person, and hopefully the interviewer will be as understanding as you

You have the luxury of making this judgment because you are on the inside looking out. If the roles were reversed......not so much. The logic you state, however, was actually partly used against this candidate. I hope the person fulfilled their dream elsewhere.

Yes, I have the luxury of 20/20 hindsight because I have had a real job, then went to med school, then did a residency. I also had to try 2x to get into medical school. However, I never would have tried 7x, especially after being dismissed from a US school. I would have just tried 2 or 3 times, and then I would have gone to Ireland, the Caribbean, etc. because I wanted to be a doctor and would have been wiling to make that sacrifice. At some point you have to make decisions to go on with your life and move forward in a positive way. Sitting around for 7 years trying to get readmitted to med school after you've already been thrown out IMHO shows poor decision making. What's the reason one goes to medical school? To become a physician and be able to treat patients. If that is one's goal, then trying x 7 years to get into US schools after being dismissed isn't productive. The reality is that US schools have many strong applicants every year, nobody is entitled to a medical school spot, and most schools won't take someone who's been canned from a US school, because it's usually either for cheating, flunking multiple classes, or having major personality conflicts/fights with clinical attendings or something.

Going to some other country to get a medical degree makes sense, especially if the student had enough academic ability to get into a US school. He would have been able to get back into the US and practice, assuming he didn't go abroad and screw up at that school. Applying 7 times in a row to US schools doesn't make sense...law of diminishing returns...

Sorry to hear that Roco88. I think the core of the matter is the piss-poor job med schools do of guiding medical students through issues such as yours. They should have recommended you withdrawal an come back in a year, that would have made total sense and you would not be in this situation. When I was in medical school a guy hung himself and a girl shot herself, way to go administration! Hope it works out for you. :luck:

a lawyer is always worth looking into. esp if you can find one that holds a JD and MD/DO degree. sorry to hear of your frustration....I know someone else going through your exact same problem. no luck with entering other US schools. best bet is SGU or GUAD in mexico. I believe the 5th pathway program is still open in mexico and is sponsored by a state univ in new york. SGU doesn't have that option. both are good choices. good luck, hang in there!!

I certainly did not cheat or use drugs. However, I did fail 2 classes in my first year (sadly missed the passing cut off by just 2 points) and did end up in front of the committee. I was very forthcoming with my reasons for failing and was re-assured numerous times by my student Dean that the committee will be "sympathetic." Nevertheless, the committee decided to dismiss me. Then I appealed their decision and held numerous meetings with the school dean who was not even willing to listen to what I had to say. Later I found out that the school was under investigation for academic wrong doing around the same time that I was struggling to get the Dean to listen to me. Needless to say, I felt extremely depressed at the time and I am sure this had made a negative impression on the dean. Finally, the student dean offered to help "place me" in a Caribbean school, by writing a deans letter... I must say I am by no means against this idea and I myself have numerous close friends who attended SGU and are now interviewing for residencies in great institutions. That being said, this is not the best choice for me at this point (I have some family obligations that will make living 2 years abroad quite difficult).

I due take responsibility for my own shortcomings in trying to handle this situation. I should have tried hard to get a personal Leave of absence when I knew I was overwhelmed. But part of me is very upset about the way the school handled the situation as well. This is why I think if I can have a chance to explain myself, perhaps someone will listen.

All your comments have been so helpful (Thank you!) ... I just wanted to clarify a few things.

This situation sounds really strange- that the dean offered to write a letter to place you in a caribbean school, but then won't let you back into your own school.

I would go with this, however. If you can get into a Caribbean school, especially the top 3, you may perfectly fine in the end.

A lawyer sounds like a good idea though. Good luck :luck:

I believe the 5th pathway program is still open in mexico and is sponsored by a state univ in new york.

Ended this year:

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/abo...cation/topics/the-fifth-pathway-program.shtml

As of June 30, 2009, through action of the AMA Council on Medical Education (CME Report 1-I-07), the Fifth Pathway will be discontinued. The Council will no longer support the Fifth Pathway as a mechanism for eligibility to enter the first year of ACGME-accredited graduate medical education programs. The AMA will continue to maintain record of former graduates of Fifth Pathway programs, but will cease to add records of individuals completing a year of supervised clinical education at an LCME-accredited medical school in the US after July 1, 2009. The last Fifth Pathway Program class to be supported is the January 2009 entering class, which ends December 2009.

This situation sounds really strange- that the dean offered to write a letter to place you in a caribbean school, but then won't let you back into your own school.

I would go with this, however. If you can get into a Caribbean school, especially the top 3, you may perfectly fine in the end.

A lawyer sounds like a good idea though. Good luck :luck:

Can someone tell me which carribbean schools are considered top 3? I know of SGU and Ross...Also, if someone can recommend SGU over Ross. I have researched both schools and have heard very good things about SGU. I have heard few negative things about Ross, mainly from students who actually attended Ross.
Also, I was wondering if re-taking the MCAT, and hopefully scoring above my previous 32 will improve my chances of getting into a US either MD/DO school.

Can someone tell me which carribbean schools are considered top 3? I know of SGU and Ross...Also, if someone can recommend SGU over Ross. I have researched both schools and have heard very good things about SGU. I have heard few negative things about Ross, mainly from students who actually attended Ross.
Also, I was wondering if re-taking the MCAT, and hopefully scoring above my previous 32 will improve my chances of getting into a US either MD/DO school.

Saba would be the third school. Check out the carribbean forum for some more info.

To comment on your current situation, in my opinion you don't seem to have much of a case for readmission. You probably would have if you were more proactive while you were having your problems. I feel bad about your current situation, but it's probably time to move on. There would be no harm in reapplying to schools this year, but I wouldn't expect much luck. Your best shot is probably your original school. Is there anyone there who could help make your case?

If that doesn't work out, focus on the carib schools if you are still committed. It's a tougher journey, but plenty of people do it every year. Good luck. :luck:

As mentioned above in this thread, the answer is no. The only US medical school that is ever realistically going to look at you is likely the one that you got dismissed from -- they are the only one that knows the details, knows you. No other US school is going to touch you if you have been dismissed from another US medical school, even if you have unbelievable MCAT stats. If you couldn't go back to your own school, the logical inference will be that there was a significant reason they didn't want you back. And the process is so competitive that all schools have numerous highly qualified people to choose from for every seat, none of whom will have the kind of black mark you have with your dismissal. So no, nobody else is going to touch you, other than perhaps a caribbean school that accepts anybody with certain stats and a working credit card. Your options are really to sit down with your dean (with or without a lawyer) and beg for another chance, outlining how you have improved and won't have the same issues again, or maybe try to get the "leave of absence" status njbmd was talking about if he won't budge, or else go overseas to wherever you can get in -- you will have a much harder road, but you will have a shot at being a doctor. I see no value in retaking the MCAT or trying to improve undergrad stats -- all those doors closed and became moot when you matriculated to med school. You no longer get to go back and apply fresh. The system doesn't work that way.

As mentioned above in this thread, the answer is no. The only US medical school that is ever realistically going to look at you is likely the one that you got dismissed from -- they are the only one that knows the details, knows you. No other US school is going to touch you if you have been dismissed from another US medical school, even if you have unbelievable MCAT stats. If you couldn't go back to your own school, the logical inference will be that there was a significant reason they didn't want you back. And the process is so competitive that all schools have numerous highly qualified people to choose from for every seat, none of whom will have the kind of black mark you have with your dismissal. So no, nobody else is going to touch you, other than perhaps a caribbean school that accepts anybody with certain stats and a working credit card. Your options are really to sit down with your dean (with or without a lawyer) and beg for another chance, outlining how you have improved and won't have the same issues again, or maybe try to get the "leave of absence" status njbmd was talking about if he won't budge, or else go overseas to wherever you can get in -- you will have a much harder road, but you will have a shot at being a doctor. I see no value in retaking the MCAT or trying to improve undergrad stats -- all those doors closed and became moot when you matriculated to med school. You no longer get to go back and apply fresh. The system doesn't work that way.

I agree with this. I would exhaust all avenues for trying to get back into your old school. Perhaps you can have one more meeting with whichever administrator(s) seemed most friendly toward your cause while you were there (? the academic dean perhaps). You need to understand why they decided to cut you loose...do they think you don't have the academic ability to get through, were they worried that you weren't committed, or was it that they felt you had personality issues and weren't going to get along with people? Usually med schools try to do a lot to get people through once they have begun school, because it reflects on them if students don't finish. However, I totally believe that there are malignant schools and/or schools having their own academic or financial or other troubles that might make them more willing to deep-six a student. I just think you need to try and get a meeting, have a heart to heart with these people...if they say no to your coming back, then you can try once more at US schools, but I would try Caribbean at the same time. As lawdoc points out, your chance of getting into a different US school I think is slim to none, regardless of raising your MCAT score vs. not. You could try DO schools, but they are likely to have the same reservations that US allopathic schools would...

Sorry to sound so discouraging but it's unlikely to make any difference at this point. As Law2doc pointed out, the only school that you have a remote shot at right now is the school from which you were dismissed. I would throw everything behind appealing their decision and getting re-instated again before I would even reconsider retaking the MCAT or applying to a Carribbean school. I do think that it is best if you can complete your study in the US, but given the fact that this dismissal is a black mark, I would say that it's very unlikely that any other allopathic medical school would consider your application right now. To them, you are especially at risk and since you failed out before. Given the fact that there are nearly 100 applicants for 1 spot at most medical schools, they will likely admit other applicants with similar stats before they would consider your application.

Ended this year:

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/abo...cation/topics/the-fifth-pathway-program.shtml

As of June 30, 2009, through action of the AMA Council on Medical Education (CME Report 1-I-07), the Fifth Pathway will be discontinued. The Council will no longer support the Fifth Pathway as a mechanism for eligibility to enter the first year of ACGME-accredited graduate medical education programs. The AMA will continue to maintain record of former graduates of Fifth Pathway programs, but will cease to add records of individuals completing a year of supervised clinical education at an LCME-accredited medical school in the US after July 1, 2009. The last Fifth Pathway Program class to be supported is the January 2009 entering class, which ends December 2009.

thanks for checking that, I had heard rumors from students at guad that the axe was coming down on them. wonder why they closed it?

I recently joined this site to get some advice on residency interviews. I came across this post and thought I should say a few words. I was in a similar situation my first year. I had a very turbulent personal life and had to take a Leave of Absence and came back the year after. The only reason why I really made it was because my school was extremely helpful and provided ample support. HOWEVER, this is not the case at every school. I cannot stress this enough. Yes, unfortunately your choices will be limited, but not zero. Every school will have a different approach. Most will automatically put you in their "don't touch" file. BUT not all schools. It is your job to find out which schools are willing to listen to you explain to them what happened. You might just find ONE, but one is all you need. You can also try to look into the medical master programs offered at certain schools (EVMS does have one) and try to prove to them again that you can handle the work. Make no mistake, your chances are limited, but not zero. Do your research, make your connections, possibly retake the MCAT (if your score is not recent), and keep in mind that there are positives to every experience, even the ones as awful and discouraging as this.
Good luck!:luck:

I Do your research, make your connections, possibly retake the MCAT (if your score is not recent), and keep in mind that there are positives to every experience, even the ones as awful and discouraging as this.
Good luck!:luck:

I really don't think retaking the MCAT will help, as the OP already had a 32. The MCAT score is not the issue.

Speak to the schools that you are interested in. See what they say. Applying to school, as you know, is a very expensive endeavor. If they all say no, then you will have only 3 choices: apply to the caribbean, apply to Europe, or go on with your life.

the past happened. There is nothing in this world that you can do to change that. You will need to exhaust all of your possibilities and if they come up short on your expectations, will need to have your time to pick up the pieces but go on with your plan B.

To basically echo what everyone else has said:

1) Exhaust all options with your previous school since other schools will not touch you. Most websites say that you should not reapply if you were dismissed. I know MCV/VCU (in virginia) specifically states this. UVA and EVMS likely have the same policy.

2) A lawyer may be an option but exhaust all amicable posibilities with your old school first. Don't come off too aggressive because that could burn bridges. As a last resort, a lawyer may be an option

3) Take up the school's offer to get you into a carribean school.

"You should get a lawyer."

At first, I agreed with this suggestion given by a majority of the posters on this thread but then, if you think about it, it may not be a good idea. Sure, based on the information the OP gave, the OP could get a lawyer to force the school to reinstate him/her but there is a chance that the school would want "revenge" by making the OP's life miserable as a medical student and even as a doctor by telling hospitals, local clinics, etc. that they are affliated with that "so-so threatened to sue them if so-so was not reinstated" and then those hospitals, local clincs, etc. could tell other hospitals, clincs, etc. the same thing and so on.

At this point, as others pointed out, the best thing for the OP to do would be to go to a foreign school but there is a chance (although, very, very, very, etc. small) that the OP could get in to another US medical school.

If the OP decides to get in to another US medical school, then I suggest taking the time to form connections/relationships with the (current/who will be by the time you apply and has been a part of the adminstration for some time) administration and/or people who have connections/relationships with the administration at the US medical schools that the OP is interested in (the "Friend of a Friend..." approach).
-BUT, before you (OP) do this, get the dean of your previous medical school to change your record from "dimissed" to "leave of absence, voluntary withdrawl, etc."

Last edited:
"You should get a lawyer."

At first, I agreed with this suggestion given by a majority of the posters on this thread but then, if you think about it, it may not be a good idea. Sure, based on the information the OP gave, the OP could get a lawyer to force the school to reinstate him/her but there is a chance that the school would want "revenge" by making the OP's life miserable as a medical student and even as a doctor by telling hospitals, local clinics, etc. that they are affliated with that "so-so threatened to sue them if so-so was not reinstated" and then those hospitals, local clincs, etc. could tell other hospitals, clincs, etc. the same thing and so on.

At this point, as others pointed out, the best thing for the OP to do would be to go to a foreign school but there is a chance (although, very, very, very, etc. small) that the OP could get in to another US medical school.

If the OP decides to get in to another US medical school, then I suggest taking the time to form connections/relationships with the (current/who will be by the time you apply and has been a part of the adminstration for some time) administration and/or people who have connections/relationships with the administration at the US medical schools that the OP is interested in (the "Friend of a Friend..." approach).
-BUT, before you (OP) do this, get the dean of your previous medical school to change your record from "dimissed" to "leave of absence, voluntary withdrawl, etc."

This is exactly why I have hesitated to get a lawyer involved. I don't want to strain the amicable relationship with the dean. But I understand that I must find a way to somehow change the "dismissal" into either a Leave of Absence or Voluntary withdrawal. Both of which need to be explained on any future applications, but they certainly are easier to swallow than an ultimate dismissal. Many of you suggested I find a way to do this. I do not know how susceptible the dean is to changing his mind about his original verdict. I was hoping some of you can have suggestions on how I may go about this.

Describe your dean. The dean was the same person who came off as a "everything will be okay, when really, everything will not be okay," type of person, right?

Those type of people are tricky. I am pre-med, so I do not know if what I am about to suggest would work but based on others' experiences:

If the dean does not already know:

Tell him/her how going Carribean school instead of another US medical school close to home would be detrimental to others close to you.

For example:

Tell the dean how much your family depends on you (ex. mention how old and feeble your parents without actually saying that "they are old and feeble" but by giving examples - ex. mention chores that you and only you have to do for them [shopping, cutting the grass, fixing things around the house, paying the bills, taking care of sibilings if you have any (ex. bathing them, feeding them, picking them up from school, etc.]). If the dean were to say "but can't they just pay someone else to do those things," counter it by saying that they are financially unable to pay a stranger to do the things that you do for them.

Basically, tell a true sad story that would make the dean and the comittee physically ill due to guilt if they do not change your record (yeah, I know you tried a similar thing to try to convince them to keep you but that was to keep you not to change your record). I am assuming that they have nothing to gain (or lose) by not changing your record from "dismissal" to "leave of absence" or "voluntary withdrawl" so it is worth a shot.

Last edited:
As someone who was dismissed from medical school and then successfully readmitted let me add my two cents.

I was dismissed from school towards the end of my second year after failing 3 classes. The reason I failed these classes was because I was suffering from depression and using alcohol to deal with it. At the time the school was not aware of my struggles. After being let go I began to work on my issues and was successful in turning my life around. I went back to work and got my marriage back on track.

About 8 months later I decided to approach the school to see what options were available to me. What I was told was I needed to build my case as to why things would be different if I were readmitted. What had changed? What had I done to ensure I would not repeat the same pattern?

So I was given a date that I would go before school's evaluation commitee. I then set out gathering various letters from my doctor, co-workers and other physicians that supported my petition to be reinstated. I went before the committee (about 15-20 doctors and faculty) and told them what had happened and why I thought I should be allowed to come back. About a week later I was notified that the committee had decided to allow me to reapply. So I did and was given a "fast-track" interview with 3 more doctors/faculty. And about a week after I was notified that I had been accepted. The whole process took about 4 months.

After being readmitted I then met with the administration to finalize the details which including various safeguards that would help keep me accountable and help me to succeed in becoming a doctor this time around.

So I am now a member of the class of 2013 and will return to school this August. So you can be re-admitted, but it will require that you be transparent and very upfront about all the reasons why you failed the first time. You need to be able to demonstrate why you are different now and have a plan in place to ensure you stay on track. It is not easy. You will be asked some very tough questions and you need to be able to answer them.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.