Dismissed from US medical school, please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, some med students and dental students are douchey asshats who don't see anything wrong with lying their way out of trouble. I just finished my first 3rd year rotation and yes, I can vouch for the fact that some med students would best serve the profession by falling down an elevator shaft.

Y'all talking about your "friends" doing this crap should raise your standards for friendship.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, some med students and dental students are douchey asshats who don't see anything wrong with lying their way out of trouble. I just finished my first 3rd year rotation and yes, I can vouch for the fact that some med students would best serve the profession by falling down an elevator shaft.

Y'all talking about your "friends" doing this crap should raise your standards for friendship.
I absolutely don't approve of their decisions at all, but if they feel like they don't want to have to explain an F they got maybe as a result of personal problems who cares? at the end of the day they went to another school and retook all the requirements graduated and excelled otherwise they wouldn't have been admitted, no big deal really. Whether they hid something or not they still had to demonstrate their capabilities.

And retaining information is not synonymous to lying, be careful with your vocabulary.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good thing you're endorsing fraud and telling me to be careful with my vocabulary.

Reactions: 2 users
Good thing you're endorsing fraud and telling me to be careful with my vocabulary.
Careful now, your vocabulary is making it sound like you are judging him for "not lying."

Like I said, I totally disapprove of retaining information, but I totally understand and empathize with the motives and circumstances that drove them to indulge in such behavior.

Like I said, I totally disapprove of retaining information, but I totally understand and empathize with the motives and circumstances that drove them to indulge in such behavior.
I have seen many examples of how this "retaining" information has resulted in the revocation of acceptances and worse (whatever the motives and circumstances may have been).

Last edited by a moderator:
The rate of such issues (even if you're a rich kid with mom dad covering your bills and no job) in med. school is common. Too bad most schools do not acknowledge and help the kids. I would have psychologists and counselors immediately counsel and continuously follow up for all students in the building. No one gets through without depression, serious anxiety, and really thinking about calling it quits. Ultimately if I had a kid or a loved one, I would counsel him prior and during throughout his stay at med. school. This is from me, the counselor's I would hire, and those who have made it through. The school is there to teach and I understand that. It cannot play mommy daddy and "my big bro" or "my older sis" who will listen to your real life problems.

And yeah, that kid who sued UMDNJ won a $2 million lawsuit.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/03/nj_court_awards_former_student.html

Instatewaiter: How DARE you not be politically correct? In a year or so, NYC is about to change its SAT to accommodate students who perform lower than they should. They are lowering performance standards to help kids who don't study and work as hard as those who do. Unbelievable.

http://nypost.com/2014/03/11/college-board-has-made-sat-even-easier-again/

You want someone to hold a student's hand 4 years?

What about residency?

You want someone to hold a student's hand 4 years?

What about residency?

I understand your reasoning however it's not about holding hands. It's about having support and eventually creating a stronger student who can become independent using certain life skills. Just because you have a good MCAT score doesn't mean you know how to navigate hardships of life. Many of these 20 something kids have no understanding of going through the severe ups and downs of life. All they know is study study study while mom and dad pays the bills. Even if they have taken out loans, are working, and have seen divorce in their lives, they STILL need a professional who can help them. Not just a friend with a shoulder but someone who has been trained to identify neutralize and prop up a person during times of hardship. A therapist can teach medical students how to manage stress, deal with severe mood swings based off poor grades or just a feeling of anxiety and those students can utilize those skills throughout life.

Your statement makes sense but it is 100% wrong. Life skills are very important and have to be taught. No one knows everything and I have NEVER EVER seen life skills taught in public schools or colleges in America. Never.

During residency (AND life), it is assumed that the student will successfully apply all of the strategies and techniques learned from his or her counseling session(s) during his medical school years. So, NO, it is NOT "holding a student's hand."

Your statement also reminds me of American culture (I do love USA but not this...): "hey kid you just turned 18! gtfo outta my house and pay your own bills!"

It's not a cool or mature thing to just let your children figure out the world on their own and think that no one is going to guide and offer their support. That reminds me of children without fathers who have run away from their child or mothers who just don't care.

EVERY single medical student would agree and want counseling help on his or her campus. I know that 100%. 50% of college kids have considered committing suicide in America.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/DepressionNews/50-college-students-felt-suicidal/story?id=5603837

Medical students aren't aliens who came here to study medicine. They are normal people who eat KFC, have a smartphone with a corny app., and chit chat about the newest shoes during lunch. In other words, they are NOT special. They too will feel the same way Mikey down the block does when going through a terrible experience. They aren't exempt from going through any mental issues in life. Mental health issues don't only affect the schizo nutjobs or manic depressives or that Jack Nicholson guy hoarding soaps in his movie As Good As It Gets. Everyone has mental challenges throughout life. If you were offered a professionally trained counselor(s), why would you reject that help? Makes no sense. It is seriously worth investing in this as a medical school. I would definitely advocate for this if I had any say.

Like LeBron James had said, and everyone knows, you CANNOT do it on your own. Impossible. You need help in life and all the support you can get so take it. No one has ever been successful alone. You will fail 100% at what you try but how will you respond? This is how: get the support, emotional and professional, use the tools, learn and improve your life and study management skills and thank everyone along the way.

"Hand holding" is an ignorant excuse out of hubris. It's not something to be ashamed of to use and ask for help in life. It doesn't make you a loser or any less capable.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
To be honest, being dismissed from medical school is a big deal and it's not the kind of thing that you want on your record. It's highly unusual to be dismissed simply because of poor performance, I think at most schools, you have to get caught cheating or be convicted of crime in order to be dismissed without being reinstated (I have personally know friends who've failed, who've gotten pregnant, or who had second thoughts about medicine and decided to take time off while in medical school, in all cases, they were able to take a leave of absence and repeat their classes).

The reason why I'm interested in which program you're in is because this policy might be different for some schools. In any case, their being on probation will have no effect on your application because they haven't lost their accrediation yet. You also mentioned that you were dismissed due to academic problems to a divorce and health reasons - so it's not because of a problem with the school.

I would honestly try to do everything possible to get reinstated again - even if it means hiring a lawyer and possibly taking the school to court. If what you said is true, the school should not have dismissed you simply because of a poor academic performance resulting from a health problem. I would look into the school's dismissal policy and find out what steps they have to take before they can justify the dismissal. If you have records of being hospitalized or a physician note that you had to be treated for depression, anxiety, etc as a result of your divorce, you should use that as leverage against your school and try to have them come to some kind of arrangement.

The reason why you need to deal with your school in this heavy-handed manner is because, as dragonfly said, anyone who is expelled from a medical school will have little to no chance of being accepted by another US medical school. Personally, I don't know of anyone who was able to be re-accepted by another US allopathic medical school after they were officially dismissed. If you browse the forums, I'm sure you'll see this sentiment echoed elsewhere. It is a huge stigma to be kicked out by medical school and even though it's theoretically possible to overcome, I have yet to know anyone who was able to do so.

Dismissal due to academic performance in medical school only is real. Leave of absences have to be done before the semester ends. If you fail two classes in one semester you can be dismissed. you don't need to commit a crime.

Hi everyone, I desperately need some help from those of you who might be familiar with situations like this.

I was dismissed from a US medical school at the end of my first year due to academic reasons, which were a direct result of a divorce and an unfortunate health condition (which is now resolved).

Despite this, I refuse to believe that all doors are now closed. After all, we all do make mistakes, and I surely have learned from mine.

I am VA state resident with hopeful credentials (GPA 3.5, MCAT 32 R).

Does anyone know, or have heard of others being re-accepted after dimissal? I am mostly interested in VA schools, especially EVMS. Anything helps. Thank you all!

If you have been dismissed from medical school. There are options available to you. You may eventually reapply to medical school in the future. When you do you will need to disclose why you were dismissed, address how the issue has been resolved and why you believe that you will now be successful. Performing well on the MCAT and in an MPH or other master’s program can help you make your case as well, if it was for academic reasons. Good Luck and Wish you all of the Best!!

If you have been dismissed from medical school. There are options available to you. You may eventually reapply to medical school in the future. When you do you will need to disclose why you were dismissed, address how the issue has been resolved and why you believe that you will now be successful. Performing well on the MCAT and in an MPH or other master’s program can help you make your case as well, if it was for academic reasons. Good Luck and Wish you all of the Best!!
The OP hasn't been seen in almost a decade.
Whatever advice they may have considered has long since passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.