Dismissed Misdemeanor Explanation Help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coconutlady

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I needed some advice as well. I am also a Pre-Med Student and something very similar happened to me. I am really scared that this will affect me negatively in my process and want to approach it in an honest and best way possible. I actually walked out of the store with the product in hand when LP stopped me. I tried to explain how it was an honest mistake and I didn't remember but he wouldn't listen at that point. Regardless, I was cited and received deferred adjudication. I have written an explanation and was wondering if someone could peer-edit and see if I can explain myself in a better manner?
Thank you for your time!

I was stopped by store security after I carelessly walked out of a store carrying a product that I had not purchased. It was my lack of attention that led to this incidence and I have learned a crucial lesson to always be cognizant of myself as well as my surroundings. I chose to cooperate in the situation and accepted the consequences that I was presented with. I was given a citation and later received deferred adjudication after which I was not convicted and the case was dismissed. Although it was not intentional, it was definitely a shocking experience for me as I had never been in trouble with the law before. The entire situation was an eye-opener for me regarding the importance of being self-aware and attentive of my surroundings as well being conscious as to how I carry myself in public situations. I have never intentionally committed a crime as such in the past and would never jeopardize my integrity and do so in the future.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Things like this happen. I mean, I once absentmindedly walked out of a grocery store with a package of hot dogs. I understand that it was a big ordeal for you and that you are worried about this issue, but admissions don't need (or want) to see all the fluff. It sounds to me like you are trying too hard and over-explaining a simple mistake. If it was, indeed, a simple mistake, then treat it as such.

For example, I would explain it something like: "I absentmindedly walked out of a store with an item and received a citation which was later dismissed". Yea you might want to brush it up a bit, but you get the idea. Good luck!

Edit: Be ready with your explanation during the interview though

Thank you for your help Armydentist2018! I wanted to make sure to explain the situation to the best of my ability so that there wouldn't be any confusion or doubt as to if I was making a pathetic attempt at lying on my application to get into the school. Your explanation definitely cleared it up! Thanks again!