dismissed podiatry student reapplying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Podx2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering what are the chances another podiatry school would consider me after dropping out of one. I dropped out of the school in Iowa due to grades, and i am reapplying to schools in my home state (california), I had excellent LOR's from podiatrist who went to the same school and undergraduate grades during my first application.

While reapplying I am taking courses at a CC (the same subjects i didnt do so well in podiatry school) and working as a CNA to better prepare myself . Also I included the grades i received during podiatry school in my application.

Do you guys think I have another chance of entering a Californian school after having a harsh time in Iowa?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have read on this forum someone who was academically sinking at Western then went to Barry. I think it could be done, you will probably have to address this heavily in your personal statement. Perhaps too a call to the admissions office to get their take. Just be truly sure you are ready for this again. You might also want to cast a wide net as well, not just California to try to maximize your chances

I don't think any Podiatry school gives regional preference to students, especially since the two in California are both private schools and those tend to not care where the students are applying from. I agree with Rush, you shouldn't limit your chances by just applying to the 2 schools in California. Were you dismissed due to academic difficulty or did you voluntarily withdraw?

Members don't see this ad :)
Academic difficulty and illness.

The other thing I thought of, unless your academic difficulty was a direct cause of your medical issues you might want to try to take a few upper level science classes to be fully sure you are ready for this. CC classes are all well and good, and I did plenty of them, but they are not comparable. If you do some upper level science classes you are proving to yourself and the Adcom that you overcame this difficulty. You will probably get in somewhere, but this could be a last shot at this, ie no third chance. Be truly sure that things are different and you are ready for it. Best of luck.

I am wondering if admissions staffs will have red flags all over you. what if there is a podiatry blacklist :S

One thing I thought of is hopefully if you did not burn any bridges at your previous school is to perhaps call their admissions office again have a chat. Temple took back a few that failed first year again (most that are repeating are not doing much better though this time around) Was there any faculty member you were close with that you might be able to talk to

At my previous school, i did not have any good relations with anyone but my adviser. My adviser knew well of what happen while I was studying in Iowa and I can ask for them to vouch for me if possible.

I know the faculty and students at CSPM well during my first application cycle but unfortunately the admissions staff at CSPM told me "all students requesting admission to CSPM must have at least a 3.0. From your current academic performance at DMU, we can not consider you for a transfer or a re-applicant to CSPM. " I even mentioned to them about my illness and all they had to say was sorry.

I ask them if there is any way I can be reconsidered and they never replied to me. I may have to call them to see if there is any solutions.

In 2013 they took people with less than a 3.0 according to that AACPMAS PDF file that gives the ranges My thoughts are to try to call your advisor see what they can do. if not really write a knock out personal statement and apply everywhere. If you have anything less than a 28 on the MCAT take it again and get a 28+ to get their attention (schools seemed to weigh the MCAT much more than GPA, but just my thought, and getting a 28+ is not that hard in my mind).
Should you get interviews practice with family/friends, or your universities prehealth office. In the practice tell who ever is the interviewer to try to rip you a new one, so you are ready for the real thing. If all else fails take more classes and improve your CV. I think you can get back into some program.

schools just got back to me... All schools i applied to did not grant me an interview and told me to retake the mcat while taking another 60 units of courses before reapplying.

so far im workig on my masters in biochem.