Disorderly Conduct

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7amsho

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I would like to seek your advices and thoughts on my situation. I am planning on applying this summer to dental schools and I have pretty much everything either average or above average; a lot of ECs, community service and decent GPAs.

Here's the story of me getting charged by my school with disorderly conduct.

I was taking orgo 1 last semester and I was stressing about the class because I needed to improve my sGPA and BCP and I needed a science professor's LoR. So I really wanted to get an A in it. On the third exam, a group of people cheated and the department decided to cancel our third exam's grades and make us retake it right before the final. I had an A on that exam so I was very upset because that way my chances of getting an A got lowered. People started posting a lot on our orgo facebook group and many were blowing off steam. One person posted "Attention, Blahblahblah if you're reading this" I thought she found the cheater. I checked the post and she was saying that she found the person's binder. Anyways I got excited for nothing so I posted "god damn it don't do that again, I had my shotgun ready". Someone decided to report me to the chair of the chem department who reported me to the police. They all got alerted because I said i had my shotgun ready. Anyways the police called me and told me I'm gonna get charged with disorderly conduct. In the cop's report she stated that nothing will happen and that people were blowing off steam. Obviously i don't have a shotgun, or have any access to any gun and i was upset about the whole canceling our grades because i studied a lot... So now I'm waiting for next semester to schedule a hearing and see what happens with this whole situation.

I am going to report it on my ADEA application, but I was just wondering what you guys think about it. How would it affect my chances for dental schools? The whole thing is so messed up and isn't worth any of my stress, time or anything. I just can't believe it happened. The stress of this whole mess made me realize how careful I should be in the future, and I even proceeded by deactivating my FB account.

Members don't see this ad.

It's unfortunate that you have to wait until next semester to schedule a hearing. That's pretty long from now (lets hope they just forget about it haha). But if your case gets dismissed, then great, nothing to worry about (seems possible considering the cops saw no threat). If it does stay on your record, then dental schools may be a little tough on you. My biggest concern would be explaining your side of the story to them. One question I've had at a few of my interviews was along the lines of how I deal with stress. I know everyone has different ways of blowing off steam, and your intentions weren't meant to be threatening at all, but trying to get that across will help you greatly. Nevertheless if you have a clean record, you can try and fight the case. If anything the school might just take it into their own hands, and keep the case on file. It'll stay on your school record for a little, but it can get taken off by graduation.

never let your thoughts get out of your mouth...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry, man. This is just a crappy situation to be in. Should you have said what you said? No. However, we're all guilty of making off-color remarks--"Man, I'm gonna fail that test next week... Shoot me now!!"--and nobody thinks twice about it. You were just blowing off steam and being sarcastic. We all say things we don't literally mean. It just seems like you got caught up in an situation where everyone was angry, and instead of addressing the root problem--finding/punishing the cheaters--you caught the blunt end of it.

Is there any way you could nip this in the bud before anything really happens? Especially since this was filed with the police, I'd consult with a lawyer. I don't think a case like this would be too expensive, and it could save you a major headache when applications roll around.

Last edited:
"god damn it don't do that again, I had my shotgun ready"

What planet am I living on? This is grounds for a disciplinary board hearing? Bull****. What a farce.

Is there any way you could nip this in the bud before anything really happens? Especially since this was filed with the police, I'd consult with a lawyer. I don't think a case like this would be too expensive, and it could save you a major headache when applications roll around.

Cops probably won't waste their time with something trivial, they're there just to scare OP. Unless it's the donut pushing "Campus Security" variety.

What planet am I living on? This is grounds for a disciplinary board hearing? Bull****. What a farce.
Cops probably won't waste their time with something trivial, they're there just to scare OP. Unless it's the donut pushing "Campus Security" variety.

I agree with you totally and hope they're just trying to scare him. However, just since so many people run into headaches with this sort of stuff, I'd try to cover all of my bases. Consult with someone, OP.

thanks for the replies guys. There is a law assistance office on our campus and I went to them already at the end of last semester (all of that also happened during finals week, the stress was just unbearable) and i went there and they assigned me a student defender who could come with me to the hearing and help me out, she's a law student but it's all for free and i am way to short on money to get a lawyer :( anyways she said my case is very minor and most of the people i talked to told me the cops are probably trying to scare me. Hopefully nothing will go on my records or any of that

I just can't stop thinking about it, all sorts of things are being said everywhere and this simple comment could get my rejections from dental schools :( that's not fair