dispensing more than written quanity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vtpharm11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If a prescription is written for #30 with 6 refills, can you legally (VA and DC for me) dispense #90 if insurance allows it. Or is it completely legal and no one really does it because doing so is going to get you in trouble if insurance audits it?

Members don't see this ad.

In my state you could technically dispense 6 fills of 30 at the same time (obviously insurance is only going to cover one of the 6 fills), but never bill for more than the written quantity or you could have problems.

Reactions: 1 user
in my state youcan do it as long as there are refills

Members don't see this ad :)
you can in maryland unless its a controlled substance.

I never do this I just tell them to tell their doc to send a new script for 90 days...not risking an insurance audit and if the doc only sent 30 days well then tough sh#!

So many rules, so many states, and every pharmacist in that state is going to tell you something different. Use your judgment. If you want to do it, make some sort of documentation (whether you contacted the prescriber or not) because it will bite you in the as* when an insurance company comes to audit you.

In Texas, you may do this as long as they're over the age of 18 and it's not a psychotropic med.

The caremark insurance will sometimes give a rejection saying patient must refill 90 days. If they audit a cvs for changing a 30 day supply to 90 day supply it's like moving money from one pocket to the other. Some cvs stores would switch it while others would print off the rejection and put it in the call doctor basket.

It differs in every state. In IL yes, you can give (and bill) all 7x30 days at the same time (unlikely that any ins would pay for more than 90 days), even with controls. But every state is different, you need to find out what your specific state law says.