Disqualified at P3 Yr. HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Letletlet7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm in a situation where I have recently been disqualified for failing more than 2 courses this semester (I failed 4). The reason in my opinion for failing was because I encountered medical conditions that made it really really difficult to keep up with school this semester, it was due to a car accident before the semester started. I was trying to both keep up with school & not take off a semester. At the time, I believed I would do well enough to get by, but obviously my problems were larger than I had anticipated and I did horriblyyyy this semester. I appealed the decision to the dean, which they say is final and it was denied. I showed paperwork proving my medical conditions. The dean denied my appeal because I had failed previously & have had poor academic standing, but I do not think it is fair, in the past even if I had failed, I never failed this bad! I was still able to continue in the program. I don't think it's fair that they are assuming my failure to pass this semester is the same as in the past semesters, I have medical documents that prove new diagnosis.

At this point, I really need your advice, if you have nothing helpful to say, please do not share it with me. I am not in the right mental state to receive any more rejection. Please let me know options I can take at this point. Is there legal actions I can take? I really do feel like I'm being treated unfairly. I did not fail this semester bc I was partying, I failed due to medical issues that prevented me from performing.

additional info:
- I do have accommodations set up where I take my exams in a separate room due to my ADHD/anxiety. Also for 1 of the classes I failed, I missed an exam due to one of my complications from the accident flaring up, I had medical documents but 4 of the faculty collectively decided to give me a 0 for that exam which accounted for 22% of the final grade. In addition, I've repeated felt rejected when life happens, it's discouraged me to even try asking for any further accommodations.

Members don't see this ad.

You are really asking people on the internet to keep quiet if they have nothing nice to say? If you want real advice, you should give up pharmacy and find something more suitable to your ability, you will be happier for it.

Reactions: 5 users
It doesn't matter if what you feel was fair or not, they are a business with certain minimum requirements that you failed to meet. No one here will be able to tell you about legal avenues you may have, go consult a lawyer if you feel that strongly about it, but "not being fair" won't go that far. Same goes for if you ever get a job, do you think they are going to keep accommodating you when you can't perform? You said the dean mentioned "I had failed previously & have had poor academic standing". Failing is pretty cut and dry. Not everyone is going to make it, if you fail courses you will not be an adequate or safe provider in the field, and only put yourself and others at risk. Most threads on here always cite some kind of medical condition as the main reason for failing out, so to anyone else reading this, take a semester off instead of pushing through it. The stats don't seem to bode well.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Setup an appointment to talk to a lawyer. I am sure they will be more than happy to take your money and try to get you admitted back. The question I have is what will you do differently if you had another chance?

Get a lawyer and sue the **** out of your pharmacy school for emotional distress because of life happening.

I don't have any practical advise for your situation. I can only tell you to contact the department of education and get on income based repayment or deferment. If you do not and you fall behind your loan repayment then your credit score would be affected.

I know you are going thru some hard time right now. Just know things usually work out in the end. Good luck to you.

Reactions: 1 users
I am not in the right mental state to receive any more rejection.
The only successful lawsuits I've heard of were on the basis that the school violated their own procedures. Go find the student manual and course catalog from the term they admitted you. By dismissing you did they violate any of their stated procedures on probation, remediation, failure limits, retake limits, reinstatement, time limits, appeals, and dismissal? If they did not act arbitrarily you are basically out of luck. Proving that they discriminated against you by dismissing you after the last 2 failures may not work since when you were already on probation for the first 2 failures. Keep your chin up. You got academically dismissed not unprofessional conduct dismissed. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I'm in a situation where I have recently been disqualified for failing more than 2 courses this semester (I failed 4). The reason in my opinion for failing was because I encountered medical conditions that made it really really difficult to keep up with school this semester, it was due to a car accident before the semester started. I was trying to both keep up with school & not take off a semester. At the time, I believed I would do well enough to get by, but obviously my problems were larger than I had anticipated and I did horriblyyyy this semester. I appealed the decision to the dean, which they say is final and it was denied. I showed paperwork proving my medical conditions. The dean denied my appeal because I had failed previously & have had poor academic standing, but I do not think it is fair, in the past even if I had failed, I never failed this bad! I was still able to continue in the program. I don't think it's fair that they are assuming my failure to pass this semester is the same as in the past semesters, I have medical documents that prove new diagnosis.

At this point, I really need your advice, if you have nothing helpful to say, please do not share it with me. I am not in the right mental state to receive any more rejection. Please let me know options I can take at this point. Is there legal actions I can take? I really do feel like I'm being treated unfairly. I did not fail this semester bc I was partying, I failed due to medical issues that prevented me from performing.

additional info:
- I do have accommodations set up where I take my exams in a separate room due to my ADHD/anxiety. Also for 1 of the classes I failed, I missed an exam due to one of my complications from the accident flaring up, I had medical documents but 4 of the faculty collectively decided to give me a 0 for that exam which accounted for 22% of the final grade. In addition, I've repeated felt rejected when life happens, it's discouraged me to even try asking for any further accommodations.

You made a lot of bad judgment calls:

Sure, maybe you shouldn't have started the semester, but you could have easily withdrawn mid semester.
You failed previously and had poor academic standing. This shows that, even in the best of times, you were already near or past your limit.
In general, you cannot objectively assess your strengths and weaknesses. That saying of "know oneself," applies greatly to you. Your perception of reality is incredibly skewed in your favor into a fantasy world.
In addition to your academic failings, you have physical/mental conditions and problems that impair your ability to do well, yet you believe, no feel entitled to study pharmacy. That kind of thought process is as ridiculous as a paralyzed kid in a wheel chair insisting he is going to play in the NFL and then crying afterward.
How can you say that it's unfair to fail a student who has failed multiple classes multiple times? Would you want your pharmacist to have graduated from such a program with that kind of performance?

I want to emphasize that I am writing all this objectively and am trying to help you. If it sounds bad, I'm sorry, but the truth often hurts. I believe in tough love, and it's called tough love for a reason.

Reactions: 3 users
BTW you didn't state at what point you failed first, and then failed again. If any of these were during pre-pharmacy or even P1 year, sorry you're 100% not cut out for pharmacy and are done for.

For this situation, talk to a lawyer.

But...you said you went from a failing student to a really bad failing student?

I don't even...I can't even....

Count your blessings. You just escaped from a hopeless career path with no jobs and over saturation for the next 20 years. Now go become a PA.

Maybe the school is doing you a favor? If you failed multiple times and even when you don't fail maintain a poor academic record they may be doing you a favor by not passing you through and having you repeat years and wasting your money. Not trying to sound hurtful, but it sounds like you may not be cut out for finishing a PharmD program until you fix some things in regard to possible work ethic and stress management, not wasting 5-6 years on a 4 year degree and spending tens of thousands may be the best thing for you.

Reactions: 2 users
What you do is this.

Search every single topic on academic dismissal in pharmacy forum (you might as well look at other forums here too). Read through them. Find successful outcomes and contact those posters. If you are serious about it, you might want to get in touch through PM with other posters who had to go through similar issues. That is where you ask for advice.

Helpful advice isn't always what one wants to hear. You a valuable human, and that has nothing to do with your success in pharmacy school. Pharmacy school, just like anything else, can't be done by everyone. It is unfortunate that your advisors/schools didn't help you figure this out long before you reached this point. While the car accident was beyond your control, you already had a history of failing, in spite of special accomadations (which would not be available in 95% of available pharmacy jobs.)

My advice, accept that pharmacy is not for you. If you don't already have a bachelor's, ask the dean or other adviser at your former school for advice on which (if any) credits you have earned that might be transferable to earning a bachelor's degree. Perhaps your dean would be willing to write you a letter of recommendation explaining the medical situation that contributed to your dismissal. I don't recommend wasting money on a lawyer, because dismissal from a school after repeated failures/probation is not being treated unfairly. Best thing is to accept the situation, and see if your former dean/advisers can offer any resources to help you complete a bachelor's degree elsewhere.

Reactions: 2 users
Advice to any future posters who decide to fail out of school due to medical problems:

If you become a pharmacist and can't perform your job due to _____, are you going to do it anyway and put your patients at risk of harm? No? Then why let your grades suffer?