Disqualifying health conditions for VA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

evildarklord

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that there are disqualifying health conditions to work for military or as commissioned corps (e.g. IHS). U
Does the VA have the same rules like other federal facilities for clinical employment?
And basically what is their physical test about?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know that there are disqualifying health conditions to work for military or as commissioned corps (e.g. IHS). Unfortunately, I do have diabetes and HTN, controlled on meds. I want to apply for a job with VA but just wonder if these conditions will disqualify me as part of their pre-employment physical exam.
Does the VA have the same rules like other federal facilities for clinical employment?
And basically what is their physical test about?

Thanks!

Unless you know someone and I mean really know someone like they are your best friend or something alone those lines you can forget getting on at the VA.

The VA is supposed to have a fair and unbiased hiring process...ya right! It is the most biased and favoritism laden process for hiring in the world. Pretty much every job posted has someone already unofficially hired for the position. You have a better chance becoming an astronaut than you do getting a job at the VA!

Unless you know someone and I mean really know someone like they are your best friend or something alone those lines you can forget getting on at the VA.

The VA is supposed to have a fair and unbiased hiring process...ya right! It is the most biased and favoritism laden process for hiring in the world. Pretty much every job posted has someone already unofficially hired for the position. You have a better chance becoming an astronaut than you do getting a job at the VA!

Not true. VA residencies aren't that much harder to get than non-VAs, as there are lots of them. Some VAs are just more competitive than others. In fact, several VAs scrambled this year. I never had a rotation or worked at a VA, and I matched with a relatively competitive one.

As far as health conditions, I think HTN and DM are fine, though you should check, especially if you're on insulin. On my physical, they listed the physical demands and they just had to check that I meet them. One thing that you don't expect is that you can't be colorblind if you want to work for the VA. Others were being able to lift 20 pounds, being able to work long hours, and just general things like that. Also they check that your corrected vision is 20/40 or better.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think he might be referring to veteran preference. If you are not already in the system (eg. Residency, internship), trying to compete in the normal job application channel against a veteran can be a waste of time. Thankfully that doesn't play out in the residency application process.

I think he might be referring to veteran preference. If you are not already in the system (eg. Residency, internship), trying to compete in the normal job application channel against a veteran can be a waste of time. Thankfully that doesn't play out in the residency application process.

Yes, but there aren't THAT many vets who are also pharmacists. We only had a few in a HUGE department. I think the "you must know someone" statement was spot on. I worked for the VA for four years and pretty much all pharmacist positions were filled by networking and "friend of a friend" hires, not just anyone off the street applying.

Yes, but there aren't THAT many vets who are also pharmacists. We only had a few in a HUGE department. I think the "you must know someone" statement was spot on. I worked for the VA for four years and pretty much all pharmacist positions were filled by networking and "friend of a friend" hires, not just anyone off the street applying.

Or already on the inside. Thinking back, about a quarter of our pharmacists were veterans, but more significantly, half were former VA residents, including our pharmacy Chief. Most of us got offered/took VA jobs at the end of our residency. Yeah, there could be some "who you know", but for residents, seems like as long as you are decently good and willing to move, odds of staying within the system is good.

Disclaimer: this was a year ago, things may have changed. But at that time, amb-care pharmacy was actively expanding and hiring.

Last edited:
Not true. VA residencies aren't that much harder to get than non-VAs, as there are lots of them. Some VAs are just more competitive than others. In fact, several VAs scrambled this year. I never had a rotation or worked at a VA, and I matched with a relatively competitive one.

As far as health conditions, I think HTN and DM are fine, though you should check, especially if you're on insulin. On my physical, they listed the physical demands and they just had to check that I meet them. One thing that you don't expect is that you can't be colorblind if you want to work for the VA. Others were being able to lift 20 pounds, being able to work long hours, and just general things like that. Also they check that your corrected vision is 20/40 or better.

He wasn't asking about a residency. He was asking about appling for a job. Big difference.

Veterans preference does not apply to certain healthcare positions within the Veterans Administration. Physicians, pharmacists, nurses ect are hired under title 38 which is excempt from the veterans preference requirements in title 5. For those of you that like legal ease here is an explanation off the VA's website.

In sum, the VHA has discretionary authority to appoint health care personnel under 38 U.S.C. § 7401(1) without regard to civil service requirements.   See 38 U.S.C. § 7403(a)(1).   Because the procedures in 5 U.S.C. § 3330a, the VEOA, are part of the civil service appointment process, and are inconsistent with the discretion Congress has accorded the Secretary of Veterans Affairs, they do not apply to the appointment of medical professionals under 38 U.S.C. § 7401(1).   An appeal to the Board under 5 U.S.C. § 3330a(d)(1) for an alleged violation of veterans' preference rights is not available to those applying for § 7401(1) positions

Exactly. Nearly every position if not every position posted for a job at the VA already has someone unoficially hired for it. The whole job posting, canidate rankings ect. are done just for show so it looks like on paper they followed the regs.

This confirms what I've always thought about the .GOV. They are like the maffia...only they've found a way to convince everyone that they're legit.